Audio Interface with the Axe FX-II

nignog

So I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that I want to use as my 'central unit' in my home studio alongside the Axe FX-II. I thought it would be more convenient to use the interface as I normally would and have it run through the Axe FX-II (and back into the interface?) into my computer; just so I can control everything from my interface and kind of ignore the Axe FX-II and let it do its magic. I was wondering if this was a feasible option, and if it would diminish the clarity of my tone in any way. If however, this isn't exactly a bad idea I wanted to know exactly what the most optimal way of setting this up would be, and if I needed to acquire any extra equipment to help it run seamlessly. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Plug it in and give it a try.

Best way to hookup would be spdif, although you might like the sound of the converters in the Axe and/or Saffire and prefer using XLR or 1/4" cables. Try using cables you have on hand and see how it goes.

If you do use spdif you will have to use the Sapphire software mixer to control the Axe's level through the Sapphire (I don't see an spdif level on the Sapphire).

As a side question: Is there a guide or manual that describes how to use the Axe as a soundcard/audio interface?
want to know which sounds better for recording: my Axe going with two jack cables directly to my Steinberg UR-44 sound card (the way I always record now) or using the Axe fx as an audio interface without using my Steinberg sound card at all. Never tried the Axe as sound card before so I want to give it a try but not sure how.

and can you also use Axe Edit at the same that you use Axe fx as your sound card?

Don't want to hijack the thread but I think this is related to what the OP is asking.

Plug it in and give it a try.

Best way to hookup would be spdif, although you might like the sound of the converters in the Axe and/or Saffire and prefer using XLR or 1/4" cables. Try using cables you have on hand and see how it goes.

If you do use spdif you will have to use the Sapphire software mixer to control the Axe's level through the Sapphire (I don't see an spdif level on the Sapphire).

So, as someone who's a complete newbie to this.. and for someone who doesn't want to control the Axe's levels through the Focusrite software, what cables would need to go from where to where to make this happen? I"m assuming I'd have to get a cable from one of the Saffire Pro 40's line outs to somewhere on the axe (and back?). Thanks again.

So, as someone who's a complete newbie to this.. and for someone who doesn't want to control the Axe's levels through the Focusrite software, what cables would need to go from where to where to make this happen? I"m assuming I'd have to get a cable from one of the Saffire Pro 40's line outs to somewhere on the axe (and back?). Thanks again.

A couple questions:

1. The Focusrite auto switches between Mic and Line on inputs 3 a 8, but I couldn't find specifics; do you know if the Focusrite switches to Mic with an XLR input and Line with a TRS or TS input or can the Focusrite recognize a Line input with an XLR connector?

2. Will you be re-amping with the Axe from your DAW?

3. Are you using Mac or Windows?

As a side question: Is there a guide or manual that describes how to use the Axe as a soundcard/audio interface? want to know which sounds better for recording: my Axe going with two jack cables directly to my Steinberg UR-44 sound card (the way I always record now) or using the Axe fx as an audio interface without using my Steinberg sound card at all. Never tried the Axe as sound card before so I want to give it a try but not sure how. and can you also use Axe Edit at the same that you use Axe fx as your sound card? Don't want to hijack the thread but I think this is related to what the OP is asking.

You can use Axe Edit at the same time as using the Axe as a soundcard. The Axe sounds great as an audio interface it is worth trying and see how it works for you.

Section 3.4 of the manual addresses connections, section 3.4.9 is how to connect the Axe as an audio interface.

You can download the manual from the Fractal website support page.

The Saffire Pro line from Focusrite is pretty good IMHO. I thought that the preamps and converters worked fine.

Couple of things here. If you are talking about re-amping than it can be complicated. If you are talking about just recording it can be a breeze.....to a point. The S/PDIF works well, but you have to make sure that the S/PDIF input is set as the master (i.e, set the Saffire to external or slave) or you will get jitter using digital. That's not the Saffire or the AxeFXII; it's just the way that digital works. The source is always the master clock source.

Analog is really easy and you really don't have to deal with anything at all except setting the levels and enabling the channel for monitoring. I'd go balanced so you'll need TRS to XLR connectors and use the ground lift switch on the back of the AxeFXII.

I prefer using a separate audio interface because I don't have to deal with moving cables and crap around for monitoring and stuff. The analog outputs of the AxeFXII sound great.

I love my Focusrite Pro 40. Been using it for over 2 years now. They update the software pretty often, and their customer service with me has been top notch.

So I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that I want to use as my 'central unit' in my home studio alongside the Axe FX-II. I thought it would be more convenient to use the interface as I normally would and have it run through the Axe FX-II (and back into the interface?) into my computer; just so I can control everything from my interface and kind of ignore the Axe FX-II and let it do its magic. I was wondering if this was a feasible option, and if it would diminish the clarity of my tone in any way. If however, this isn't exactly a bad idea I wanted to know exactly what the most optimal way of setting this up would be, and if I needed to acquire any extra equipment to help it run seamlessly. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have a saffire pro 24(using as sound card basically) and a 56. I went through this same dilemma before particularly because I use pro tools. You can only have one playback engine. So if you plug axe into pro tools then you have to run to your monitors through axe fx. that is if you have axe plugged in usb and saffire plugged in firewire. Then pro tools wasn't wanting to route pro tools output through axe fx into speakers so I was basically monitoring axe fx and not anything in pro tools.

Rather than deal with rerouting stuff through axe fx and having to plug my monitors into axe fx instead(then I can't hear anything else like I tunes, only pro tools) I use the saffire as the playback engine.

I run Spdif from axe fx into saffire. Make sure your saffire is set to 48khz like the axe fx and run out spdif axe fx into spdif in on the saffire. That's basically like plugging your axe fx output into the saffire in but its all digital so there is no DA/AD conversion. That means there isn't really noticeable latency and your signal quality isn't degraded by going DA/AD unnecessarily. Then when i'm done I unlug my axe fx and take it back to my practice room. It is also possible to record your dry signal into a DAW and wet signal(for monitoring/backup). Then you can use spdif(you need cables both ways for this) to use the axe fx to reamp your dry signal that bypassed axe fx. So you could have yourself playing looped and then adjust the tone while listening or you can craft a tone taking all the other stuff in the mix into account.

I just got my Axe2 today, and I'm trying to the SPDIF out from the Axe to SPDIF in on the Saffire Pro 40. I have them plugged in, but I don't know where to go from here. I can't change the Sync Source under my Saffire Mixcontrol. Do you have any pointers? Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

I can't change the Sync Source under my Saffire Mixcontrol.

Usually this means the driver is in use, which MixControl should indicate. Try closing any recording software, media players, browsers until it changes from "in use" to "connected". Assuming you're using Windows, viewing sound properties and changing the samplerate to anything else and back to 48 kHz can also free up the driver, at least when it's a browser that kept it in use.

Usually this means the driver is in use, which MixControl should indicate. Try closing any recording software, media players, browsers until it changes from "in use" to "connected". Assuming you're using Windows, viewing sound properties and changing the samplerate to anything else and back to 48 kHz can also free up the driver, at least when it's a browser that kept it in use.

You were right! Thank you. I can change the Sync Source to SPDIF now, but I have no idea where to go from here. Also, it seems like whenever I open anything that uses my Focusrite, my Sample Rate goes back to 44.1 kHz even after I set it to 48 kHz. Any ideas? Thank you.

You were right! Thank you. I can change the Sync Source to SPDIF now, but I have no idea where to go from here. Also, it seems like whenever I open anything that uses my Focusrite, my Sample Rate goes back to 44.1 kHz even after I set it to 48 kHz. Any ideas? Thank you.

Set it to 48 kHz in Windows playback device settings. (Right click on system tray volume icon for easy access.)

Not sure what info you're looking for beyond that--the SPDIF inputs will appear like any other mic/line inputs in your DAW etc. Unmute them in MixControl for the lowest-latency monitoring, unless you have analog outs to speakers already. If you have a more specific question I can try to help.

You'll probably want to switch the 2nd MixControl channel back to Analog 2, then stereo link (button between PFL buttons) an unused pair like 9 & 10. Set them to the 2 SPDIF channels (you have 1.1 there, the other might say 1.2) and monitoring should work.

Go to Reaper Preferences, Audio - Device and set the input range to include all inputs, or at least the SPDIF pair. I think what you're seeing now are the 8 analog inputs. Or maybe two of those actually are the SPDIF, but I don't think so.

You'll probably want to switch the 2nd MixControl channel back to Analog 2, then stereo link (button between PFL buttons) an unused pair like 9 & 10. Set them to the 2 SPDIF channels (you have 1.1 there, the other might say 1.2) and monitoring should work.

Go to Reaper Preferences, Audio - Device and set the input range to include all inputs, or at least the SPDIF pair. I think what you're seeing now are the 8 analog inputs. Or maybe two of those actually are the SPDIF, but I don't think so.

Done! Thanks so much! I'm so relieved to have this finally working. I owe you one. :mrgreen

Blah. I've encountered an unforeseen issue. Whenever I play anything (like a youtube video that I listen to while I try and cover a song), it comes through the SPDIF. So the problem is, when I try tracking guitars in my DAW not only can I not lower/raise the track volume without it effecting everything I hear, but any audio I am currently listening to is also captured onto my DAW. Should I be looking into reamping if this is going to be an issue, or have I set something up incorrectly?

EDIT: Well, I unplugged the USB and it fixed itself.. that's strange. Anyone know what is up with that? Is the USB not something I should be leaving plugged in to have easy access to AxeEdit?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom