Audio interface upgrade

TremoloFan

Inspired
Looking for suggestions to upgrade my audio interface. I currently have an M-Audio ProFire 610 connected to my 2013 iMac via FireWire (via a thunderbolt adaptor). The 610 is now a "legacy" product which means no more driver updates in the future. I don't need more inputs or outputs, but I am looking for high quality...suggestions for an upgrade? Thanks.

Lots of good options out there - more info on your budget, needed number of I/O and intended use would help others to give you the best possible advice.

If it's just for guitars I'd just just the Axe's USB to record with - just make your sessions in 48 and your good to go.

If you need an interface for other purposes I can't recommend Metric Halo highly enough, and I have or have owned hi end interfaces from Apogee too.
Currently I own the MH ULN-8 and an Apogee Duet, but would never buy anything other than a MH going forward.
the ULN-2 is incredible if you just need to record 2 microphones at a time.

MH have supreme converters, preamps, drivers and software including an internal 80 bit mixer and DSP efx that that rival the best software and hardware in the industry - among them the character plugin, a recording preamp sim, that's right get Neve and other famous preamp sims included in your interface.
Skeptical ?? - Well IMHO MH is doing for interfaces what Fractal is doing for guitar modelers.
Hope this helps
RB

Last edited:
I used M-Audio stuff for a while but gave up on them because of poor driver support. The Focusrite line (USB or Firewire options) get pretty good press and are a reasonable price. There are plenty of good options though.

Thanks for the feedback. I mainly use my 610 for vocal mics or for my Taylor Acoustic. I only need four inputs and four outputs. Not looking to spend more than $500ish. Really just looking for something in that price range with the best possible preamps and high bit rate processing. I'll check out the Metric gear.

...ok, the Metric gear is a little out of my price range. I know, you get what you pay for...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom