Audio Interface to FOH?

Discussion in 'Rigs and Routing' started by mirflee, May 15, 2017.

1. mirflee

mirflee
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Hey all,

This might sound somewhat stupid but I was wondering if it's necessary or an overkill to have the interface's balanced outs through to a DI box before the house's mixer? I'm patching multi-outs stems from Ableton, TRS to XLR cables out from the interface.

Thanks!

2. bondsong

bondsong
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yes it's overkill and may even degrade the sound.

3. Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

As long as the FOH mixer can handle line level signals going through an XLR. (the vast majority can). Some older analog mixers have trouble with that hot of a signal going into their mic pre's.

I've heard some stories around here where there was an issue with the direct signal from the Axe-Fx being too hot and had to go through a transformer. Some guys carry them with them just in case. But I have not run into that in my area.

4. Callan

Callan
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

There might be a chance of a ground loop or hum when connecting between various equipment and a transformed based DI box can be handy to provide isolation between the 2 devices. (something like the Radial JDI might be an option here if you run mono, other options for stereo)

There is a higher chance of this happening if you are powering your interface from a different power circuit to the house mixer.

Generally it's not needed, but it's not a case of never being needed.

5. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

No DI needed. The XLRs are already balanced to minimize hum.

Do pick up a couple inline XLR pads and some short XLR cables to patch between the AFX and the stage box for those times when the mixer can't handle anything but a mic-level signal.