Audio interface that works without PC being on?

Andy G

Inspired
Currently running an MBox2 as an audio interface. Got a few issues with it, but my major bugbear is that it requires my computer to be powered on for it to function.

I currently have my Axe-Fx III output 1 running into the MBox2, which then feeds a pair of Adam A7X monitors. I occasionally use the MBox2 as a mic preamp.

Wondering what the best routing option would be for my setup. My requirements are:

i) Mic preamp is required.
ii) Want to be able to run the Axe-Fx III through my monitors without powering on the PC.
iii) Also want to run sound from my PC through the monitors when the PC is on.
iv) Want to be able to mix Axe-Fx sound with PC sound (e.g. for playing along to backing tracks).

I'm aware that I may need to buy a new audio interface. Any recommendations? Or is there another way of routing things that I haven't considered?

I'm with chris - There are heaps of little mixers around that will suit your purpose and aren't too expensive.

Thanks
Pauly

Buy a mixer.
Totally this.

My requirements are:

i) Mic preamp is required.
Mixers have mic pres.

ii) Want to be able to run the Axe-Fx III through my monitors without powering on the PC.
iii) Also want to run sound from my PC through the monitors when the PC is on.
iv) Want to be able to mix Axe-Fx sound with PC sound (e.g. for playing along to backing tracks).
This is what mixers do. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you actually want to upgrade/change interface and not buy a mixer, look for "standalone mode" or similar as a feature. A lot of Focusrite interfaces have this, for example.

If you actually want to upgrade/change interface and not buy a mixer, look for "standalone mode" or similar as a feature. A lot of Focusrite interfaces have this, for example.

That's quite helpful - looks like the Focusrite 6i6 has this. Might be another option if I can't find a small enough mixer.

The "problem" with a mixer (I've been there myself) is that it mostly ends up as redundant set and forget piece that takes up desk space and collects dust.

A sound card with a stand alone mode is a much better solution. Or ... as I said earlier - an extra pair of monitors/speakers that is directly connected to the Axe. Then you have the opportunity of a hasselfree true zero-latency monitoring as well as a setup that is not dependent on a computer.

IMG_2830.jpg

I use the Equator D8 MkII's as studio monitors connected to my sound card and the Yamaha DXR10's connected to the Axe.

The "problem" with a mixer (I've been there myself) is that it mostly ends up as redundant set and forget piece that takes up desk space and collects dust.

A sound card with a stand alone mode is a much better solution. Or ... as I said earlier - an extra pair of monitors/speakers that is directly connected to the Axe. Then you have the opportunity of a hasselfree true zero-latency monitoring as well as a setup that is not dependent on a computer.

View attachment 53349

I use the Equator D8 MkII's as studio monitors connected to my sound card and the Yamaha DXR10's connected to the Axe.
Totally off topic: how the hell do you get your guitars to stay on the wall at that angle? And what's the story on the Tele with Floyd Rose?

Universal Audio stuff will do what you want without your Mac / PC being on. I have the Apollo 8 and do that all the time.

View attachment 53349

I think there is surely some irony in stating that a little inline mixer (which would allow one set of monitors for everything) is redundant ant takes up space, BUT, at the same time suggesting a SECOND set of monitors to connect directly to the Axe....

I mean, surely a second set of monitor speakers (good ones at that) takes up way more space, and also cost a lot more, and is not kind of equally redundant ?

I think there is surely some irony in stating that a little inline mixer (which would allow one set of monitors for everything) is redundant ant takes up space, BUT, at the same time suggesting a SECOND set of monitors to connect directly to the Axe....

I mean, surely a second set of monitor speakers (good ones at that) takes up way more space, and also cost a lot more, and is not kind of equally redundant ?

Well - I did root for the stand alone audio interface :D

And the monitors don't take up DESK space :p

And do give much more userbility ... :cool:

Totally off topic: how the hell do you get your guitars to stay on the wall at that angle?

It's magic!

Or maybe Woodies Guitar Hangers:

http://www.woodieshanger.com

https://www.thomann.de/gb/woodies_g...iLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0=

Works perfect on my slanted walls:

IMG_0658%202.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

And what's the story on the Tele with Floyd Rose?

It's a Warmoth build. A "La Cabronita" shredder. Heavily inspired by 80's Charvel's of course.

Basswood La Cab body. Padauk neck with ebony board. Ping Floyd Rose and a Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 hum bucker with push/push for series/parallel.

La_Cab_Shred_066.jpg

Yeah, I was ignoring that particular suggestion. :p Not that I wouldn't like another pair of monitors. Just don't have anywhere to put them. Current monitors are on my desk because there's no floor space available - I share a smallish study space with my partner.

It's sounding like an upgrade to the interface might be the way to go. Focusrite 6i6 has standalone mode and fits the budget...

Back
Top Bottom