Audio Interface Recommendations

The Axe-Fx III is my interface for my whole studio system, which includes six monitors (three different stereo pairs) and plenty of different inputs.

I want for nothing.

When you adjust the volume for your monitors does it change the gain structure at all?

The gain structure of what? The output knobs on the Axe-Fx don't change any gain except what's coming out of OUT 1, 2, 3, 4 into the monitors.

Sorry, I am talking about the sound of the monitors. When you turn the volume down or up does it change the character of the sound? When you turn the volume down does the cross over change at all?

Sorry, I am talking about the sound of the monitors. When you turn the volume down or up does it change the character of the sound? When you turn the volume down does the cross over change at all?
Crossovers don't change with amplitude.

The Axe-Fx III is my interface for my whole studio system, which includes six monitors (three different stereo pairs) and plenty of different inputs. I'm on Windows and REAPER as well.

I want for nothing.

You're making me want to revisit my thought process that created this whole thread 😂

Any general tips that helped make this possible for you when it comes to managing system vs instrument levels when you're recording or monitoring, or was it all pretty plug and play?

You're making me want to revisit my thought process that created this whole thread 😂

Any general tips that helped make this possible for you when it comes to managing system vs instrument levels when you're recording or monitoring, or was it all pretty plug and play?

It's very plug and play.

My studio monitors are on Output 1.
My floor wedges are on Output 2, mirrored from Output 1.
My wide FRFR Matrix monitors are on Output 3.

Guitars on Input 1.
Keyboard through Input 3 and MIDI In through DAW.

I've even tracked vocals through Input 1 using the Tube Pre amp model without a pre in front of the Axe and have had great results!

I use a UAD Apollo x8p. I regularly record my band so I enjoy having the extra inputs for the drums. Now with the new Luna DAW system coming shortly, it will work really nicely with this unit.

This shouldn’t happen for any full range speakers unless you’re talking FM curve.

Another vote for RME.
I use the RME Babyface Pro with my laptop and I love it.
High quality interface with excellent driver support!

You can't go wrong with RME. I started using RME in 2011. I have a UFX and a UFX+. Bulletproof...Quality all the way around, great support on their forums from both users and RME staff, and quick with updates to address issues.

Having excellent results with UAD Apollo via S/PDIF and monitoring with Console software. Prior to that RME Babyface was excellent and super portable.

That's what I'm doing currently, but I like the idea of being able to use my studio monitors independently of the Axe FX III, alongside any desktop application that can control the nuances of the interface.
When you say studio monitors independentl, what do you mean?

i run everything desktop to and from the fractal including movies straight into the monitors.
Axe Edit covers a great xlr mic pre too.

theres no tweaking for monitor control, just one already active knob.

if for some reason you want to turn off the fractal and just use the monitors independently, get a small xlr patch bay
its as fast as click, click with 2 short cables

I’m not understanding the need for another interface in your case?
if your recording a live drum set with 10 mics yes, or recording a band in one pass yes.
lots of other reasons, but generally speaking, you might be adding unneeded complexity to your set-up

Tell us more about your end goal.

i definitely agree with RME or UA audio as being rock solid however

Last edited:
I use a UAD Apollo x8p. I regularly record my band so I enjoy having the extra inputs for the drums. Now with the new Luna DAW system coming shortly, it will work really nicely with this unit.
Nice...I‘m looking at the apollo x8...but they are otherwise similar with exception of the breakout connectors? How many of the uad plug ins can run in practice? I’ve been an rme owner and fan forever but the uad plugin integration is very cool.

Complaining about the quality of AD/DA conversion of that level of interface...

It may be getting good stuff down- just isn't high enough quality to show it-

I had sessions done with M-Box 2, Digi 003, and Focusrite stuff come to life and sound like I've never heard before when I got an Apollo Quad

While the Axe FX is great going straight into my PC via USB, I prefer to have an audio interface so I may use my studio monitors, control levels easier, etc without tweaking the Axe FX itself.

As others have implied, it doesn't sound like you need an audio interface. It sounds like you want a mixer to allow you some flexibility of routing audio without relying on your computer? Or maybe it's the output knobs of an audio interface that you want? The AxeFX III is more than capable of doing that, but if you want a separate device for the mixing, a simple passive line mixer should do the job to allow you to send direct audio from the AxeFX to your studio monitors that you can control with knobs.

Reactions: Rex
As others have implied, it doesn't sound like you need an audio interface. It sounds like you want a mixer to allow you some flexibility of routing audio without relying on your computer? Or maybe it's the output knobs of an audio interface that you want? The AxeFX III is more than capable of doing that, but if you want a separate device for the mixing, a simple passive line mixer should do the job to allow you to send direct audio from the AxeFX to your studio monitors that you can control with knobs.
Good point. I use a small mixer to route various stuff to my monitors. Makes it super easy to get whatever I want into the speakers, at whatever level I want. That mixer to also has headphone out that's independent of the main level, so I can go silent with a twist of a knob.

Nice...I‘m looking at the apollo x8...but they are otherwise similar with exception of the breakout connectors? How many of the uad plug ins can run in practice? I’ve been an rme owner and fan forever but the uad plugin integration is very cool.
I just installed an x8. It’s identical in processing power to the x8p. They both have 6 chips or hexacore or whatever they call it. It’s a great interface.

Back
Top Bottom