Audio Interface Question

deakle

Experienced
Looking to upgrade my 2nd Generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It has served me well with no complaints. I am looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Generation 4i4 but am also interested in a Universal Audio Apollo Twin X thunderbolt 3 interface. For simple home recording, I realize the UA Apollo is probably overkill but the console software included as well as some of the plug ins are intriguing. Latency is not really an issue for me as I said I am just doing home/hobby recording. Any thoughts from users of both or either would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I don't think the Twin is overkill

The converters in it really make a difference

Scarlett stuff is good- for sure- but I think the plugins will change your life

I have a Focusrite Clarett 4pre and I really like it. Sounds a bit cleaner than the Saffire Pro 24 I had before and the Air function makes vocals sound great. Maybe consider the Clarett stuff as well?

I don't think the Twin is overkill

The converters in it really make a difference

Scarlett stuff is good- for sure- but I think the plugins will change your life

Hi, I have the same question on what interface to buy. I us an AX8 but there are so many Focusrite models. I am confused on which focusrite model to buy or if I should get the Apollo Twin (again which model). Why is the Apollo so good? I have modeling in the AX8 so what are the plugins exactly for ? I think I need the SPIDIF to connect the AX8 leaving the XLRs for other uses on the interface?

I also have to invest in headphones and studio monitors. I would like minimum latency. I have my SM58 mic for vocals recording. I ideally would like to sing and play guitar simultaneously when recording if that is possible without picking up the guitar strings being plucked in the vocal mic.

Would appreciate some advice.

I'm going to work backwards to answer you

1. An SM58 is fine, honestly every big artist uses them live when people are paying thousands for tickets- no reason you can't use one in the studio
2. I would not record vocals/guitar at the same time- no reason to, recording is about performance - I wouldn't sacrifice it.
3. The interface would deal with more latency than headphones and monitors.
4. There's great monitors at any budget- I'd recommend the latest Maudio BX5 speaker, or Yamaha HS5's or HS8's whatever you can afford
5. Most people go overkill on headphones - I prefer bose for comfort but a $75 pair of sony headphones (mdr76something) are standard in most studios
6. So look at the Axe fx is for guitar, but the Universal Audio Apollo stuff is for modeling preamps, and compressors and modeling studio gear- The Axe Fx II/3 have some of those options too- I'd assume the AX8 has some of those in the cab block- but I'd say UAD stuff is great.
7. In theory/on paper SPIDF is great but the Fractal quality is so high I get better results from the XLR's with a good interface.
8. The Apollo is good because it has processing power built into it- that can handle plugins/effects faster and better than computers, super low latency and great quality preamps and a/d conversion
9. I think the appeal of apollo is it's replaced a lot of outboard gear- so I don't run any outboard gear- no need
10. I use an Apollo Quad, but a Twin is just fine
11. You wouldn't be able to record stereo fractal and a mic at the same time with a TWIN, but i don't want you doing that anyway
12. One of their rack units would probably be overkill
13. Focusrite- Scarlett/Clarett are great- but the Twin would give you more professional quality and the plugins they use in realtime called unison plugins will give you a million dollar studio feel for $500. And save/replace the need for outboard gear

I'm going to work backwards to answer you

1. An SM58 is fine, honestly every big artist uses them live when people are paying thousands for tickets- no reason you can't use one in the studio
2. I would not record vocals/guitar at the same time- no reason to, recording is about performance - I wouldn't sacrifice it.
3. The interface would deal with more latency than headphones and monitors.
4. There's great monitors at any budget- I'd recommend the latest Maudio BX5 speaker, or Yamaha HS5's or HS8's whatever you can afford
5. Most people go overkill on headphones - I prefer bose for comfort but a $75 pair of sony headphones (mdr76something) are standard in most studios
6. So look at the Axe fx is for guitar, but the Universal Audio Apollo stuff is for modeling preamps, and compressors and modeling studio gear- The Axe Fx II/3 have some of those options too- I'd assume the AX8 has some of those in the cab block- but I'd say UAD stuff is great.
7. In theory/on paper SPIDF is great but the Fractal quality is so high I get better results from the XLR's with a good interface.
8. The Apollo is good because it has processing power built into it- that can handle plugins/effects faster and better than computers, super low latency and great quality preamps and a/d conversion
9. I think the appeal of apollo is it's replaced a lot of outboard gear- so I don't run any outboard gear- no need
10. I use an Apollo Quad, but a Twin is just fine
11. You wouldn't be able to record stereo fractal and a mic at the same time with a TWIN, but i don't want you doing that anyway
12. One of their rack units would probably be overkill
13. Focusrite- Scarlett/Clarett are great- but the Twin would give you more professional quality and the plugins they use in realtime called unison plugins will give you a million dollar studio feel for $500. And save/replace the need for outboard gear

Hi Jeries,

Thank you for your through reply and all your suggestions. A few follow up questions on your comments.

I need the ability to hear myself (on other tracks) on headphones or studio monitors while playing along with myself and recording myself. I assume the audio interfaces are compatible with PC and MAC.

Audio Apollo stuff is for modeling preamps, and compressors and modeling studio gear --- What do you mean by "studio gear"?
Focusrite- Scarlett/Clarett are great- but the Twin would give you more professional quality and the plugins they use in realtime called unison plugins will give you a million dollar studio feel for $500. -- Can you suggest a specific Focusrite/Apollo models are in the $500 price range?

And save/replace the need for outboard gear –- What does this mean?

Thanks Again!

I need the ability to hear myself (on other tracks) on headphones or studio monitors while playing along with myself and recording myself. I assume the audio interfaces are compatible with PC and MAC.

So, yes- you can do that and the way the Apollo's work- you'll get little/no latency, it's seriously the best- there's no better tracking experience.

The clarett 2pre, used apollo twin are around 500 or less

So- most studios use rack gear for preamps, compressors, etc- Apollo has onboard chips that process plugins and have their own series of plugins that can give you in real time preamps, compressors, that sound great- and replace the need to have thousands in rack outboard gear to record and track and process audio

I use the AxeFX with an Apollo SPDIF. No latency, sounds great. you get access to the plugins to use on top of the AxeFX signal if you'd prefer including their compressors, EQs etc.

Full disclosure, up until the quarantine I just used the AxeFX USB recording only, and had the Apollo in my offsite studio to record drums, live band, vocals etc. Brought the essentials home and hooked up the AxeFX SPDIF in March. Some have mentioned that you can also go into the input on the Apollo and use the unison plugins. Also worth trying just if you need another flavor, but I haven't found the need for it.

Back
Top Bottom