Audio Interface for FM3

vika12

Experienced
Looking for recommendations for an audio interface (USB or Thunderbolt) to use with the FM3. Specifically, an interface with at least 2 line inputs (to run from the FM3 analogue outputs in stereo) and at least 1 mic preamp input. Thank you!

What's your budget?
I'm not looking to spend a fortune -- I just need a good quality box with 1 mic pre and 2 or more line inputs to accept the 2 connections from the FM3's analogue outputs so that I can record in stereo.

I use a UA-101 its a bit dated but rock solid for my DAW and you can get one used on reverb for a C note right now..

I've got my eye on the MOTU M4. It has several things I like:
  • Input and output jacks on the back (to avoid desk clutter)
  • Headphone jack on the front (for easy connection)
  • Separate headphone and monitor knobs
  • Direct monitoring knob (to level the FM3 and computer audio)
  • Additional inputs on the front (if needed)
  • Level monitors on the front are handy

I've got my eye on the MOTU M4. It has several things I like:
  • Input and output jacks on the back (to avoid desk clutter)
  • Headphone jack on the front (for easy connection)
  • Separate headphone and monitor knobs
  • Direct monitoring knob (to level the FM3 and computer audio)
  • Additional inputs on the front (if needed)
  • Level monitors on the front are handy
Nice choice

Question. If you run the fm3 into another audio interface....do u set yiur daws playback as the fm3...or the other Audio interface. The reason i ask...if u are plugging your headphones into the fm3 for tracking ....well...would u plug your headphones there...or the other audio interface

To piggyback onto this - what do you all use for headphones?

I currently have a non-headphone jack model FM3, and I'm running it through a Presonus iTwo audio interface with their HD7 headphones plugged into its' headphone jack, and it's the same, yucky, tinny, high-end'y headphone experience that many of us are familiar with. I know that in the strictest sense, using headphones will likely never completely sound ANYTHING like it does through an FRFR cabinet - that's hard to replicate, to say the least.

That said, though, is it possible to use a headphone set up that's at least somewhat close? I have my eye on Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition's (250ohm version), but I want to know if it's even worth trying to pursue.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Get something with S/PDIF so you don't have to pay the conversion cost twice. I personally swear by Focusrite, been using them for 10 years at this point, but honestly any of the major brands' interfaces out now are better than what you could find in a major studio in the 90s, so you really can't go wrong.

Using the Axe I/O with mine and would recommend it. The noise floor on it is really low and better then the focusrite stuff.
The neat thing about the Axe I/O is you can record the di and use the fm3 at the same time. It also lets you actually use the direct monitor blend knob so when you record the di with the interface you can mute it while using the fm3 through the interface.

To piggyback onto this - what do you all use for headphones?

I currently have a non-headphone jack model FM3, and I'm running it through a Presonus iTwo audio interface with their HD7 headphones plugged into its' headphone jack, and it's the same, yucky, tinny, high-end'y headphone experience that many of us are familiar with. I know that in the strictest sense, using headphones will likely never completely sound ANYTHING like it does through an FRFR cabinet - that's hard to replicate, to say the least.

That said, though, is it possible to use a headphone set up that's at least somewhat close? I have my eye on Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition's (250ohm version), but I want to know if it's even worth trying to pursue.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

while it’s not the same “amp in the room through a guitar cab” feel, I’ve had good experiences with the Beyerdynamic headphones. I got the 250 ohm 880s in May and the 770s in June. The 880s are great for not too much $$$.

I've been using KRK KNS-8400s. Not expensive and they sound great with the FM3. The trickier bit is to tailor presets to sound live through FRFR as they do through the headphones.

Back
Top Bottom