Audio Interface 2021: Focusrite vs Presonus

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Yes I know I can use my Fractal gear but I prefer using external interfaces. since forever.

Looking at the Focusrite and Presonus stuff in the $500\$600 price range. Preamps are irrelevant for my purpose but I know they all have them.
I have no experience with either of these.
Any opinions?
Thanks

Well, yeah, mic pre's is the whole point to buying one of these, so that's what you're paying for :). Anyway, in that price range, for a small project studio recording a couple of inputs with USB, there's not much difference in quality between them. They're both quite good. For use with an Axe-FX, I'd suggest getting one with spdif in and out, for example an 8i6 or an 1824C. Choose by the features you want and I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

OK Thanks
The reason mic pres don't matter to me is I have a Wave Mic pre that I really like and use with my recording mic. I only record my own vocals. But then again I am a Guitar player certainly not a recording guru so what do I know-not much.

I value the opinion of both you guys so I am going to get the Focusrite 18i20. More than I need probably but I would rather have more than less-who knows what the future holds.
I am hoping the software interface for the focusrite is as user friendly as what I am use to-mainly the Echo stuff. I will be so happy to remove the pci to pci-e bridge I have been using to accomadate the Echo Layla 3G PCi card. My Asus A370 Prime MB does not have the old PCi slots.

Thanks guys

Got to say the 3rd Gen Scarlett 18i20 really surprised me. Just recently tracked a couple Acoustic guitar takes with a single SM57 (I know) and using the "AIR" option it really gave me a nice-bodied sound with enough crisp in the strumming parts that I really liked for a "not recorded on a pro-acoustic-treated studio with a really nice condenser mic" take.

Also, liked how the FM3 sounded when I plugged it to the line inputs when I was comparing some presets between the Axe-FX III and the FM3.

Got to say the 3rd Gen Scarlett 18i20 really surprised me. Just recently tracked a couple Acoustic guitar takes with a single SM57 (I know) and using the "AIR" option it really gave me a nice-bodied sound with enough crisp in the strumming parts that I really liked for a "not recorded on a pro-acoustic-treated studio with a really nice condenser mic" take.

Also, liked how the FM3 sounded when I plugged it to the line inputs when I was comparing some presets between the Axe-FX III and the FM3.
Thanks AJ

I am hoping the software interface for the focusrite is as user friendly as what I am use to-mainly the Echo stuff.
It's actually pretty nice. While it's not a full-fledged matrix mixer, I can easily get all the routings from it that I need. I think you'll be happy with it.

I have the Presonus Studio 1824c, did a whole bunch of comparisons between it and the equivalent Focusrite, ended up deciding it didn't really matter much and I got the next deal I found. Might have been very slightly biased towards Presonus as I was replacing an older Firepod.

I think you can't lose either way. I have no comments on any bundled software though, I'm a Linux guy.

Last edited:
It is not an easy decision for this "king of Procrastination" - both seem perfect. I am a windows guy but I really don't care about the bundled software either.
Thanks for the input.............

I went with the Focusrite because I can get two SPDIF devices connected to it. One with a optical bridge, of course.
I don't use those. was that your deciding factor? I figure Focusrite has been in the AI business longer than Presonus. That was one of my reasons. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still reading. I love the Echo Layla 3G-Solid drivers believe it or not but the PCI-e to pci bridge I mentioned is just a PIA. Very finicky.
I coulkd spend more but didn't see much difference going to $1,000. I also do NOT need that many i\o's but I do need\want more than a 6\4 or whatever.

Just built a new computer this last week. Dedicated audio and video machine. Asus Thunderbolt 4 mother board.

So I'm looking at the Presonus Quantum 2626 as an option. Trying to future proof as much as possible.

I'm having noise/dropout problems with the 2 interfaces on my old machines (Scarlet 2i2, and an Audient ID14)

I want to get right away from USB based interfaces.....my current M audio PCI card has given my no problems ever.

I actually have 2 of the M-audio 2496 cards-Use to use them together with a jumper cable-worked great.
I thought about Thunderbolt. My MB, as mentioned above would take a card no problem, BUT........................

tried to find some youtube videos of the software app for the Focusrite 18i20. Found 1 about a year or so old. Rest were 3 or more years old. Looks very, well, kind of basic, and drab.I rely on the hardware editors very heavily for my work. Hmmm?
EDIT: So I just downloaded the nanuals for both AI mentioned. Hopefully that will satisfy this professional practicing procrastinator................

Last edited:
Presonus StudioLiveRM
This is close to your top end in used gear. I highly recommend looking into this.
The recording software (Luna? IIRC) sounds better than PTs. These can be used for live IEM system. You can link systems together for more I/O. Perfect for studio and rehearsal or live. No headphone amps needed.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=presonus StudioLiveRM
???????????????????????????????????????????????

I don't technically need the Focusrite, but I find it easier to leave the Focusrite on all the time and it acts as a glorified mixer for a number of sources (AFIII, FM3, FM9, etc.). I can route audio to my nearfields, my Xitone, etc. without leaving my desk.

I don't really need the mic pres on the Focusrite, but on the odd occassion where I feel like using a mic they're nice to have.

I even have a Behringer Monitor2USB in the mix too between the Focusrite and my nearfields so I have a big volume knob in a convenient spot on my desk I can twist.

There's a bunch of redundancy, yes. But the convenience is hard to beat.

You asked if people find the phantom power button on the front to be a problem. I answered "no, not for me". I was trying to help. Sorry. Deleted. I see your question about the phantom power has also been deleted, so I'm sure none of this makes sense to anyone reading it now :).
I deleted it because I was going to post the question in the lounge but when I went to do that I found the 4 or 5 threads I mentioned about Phantom Power.

You asked if people find the phantom power button on the front to be a problem. I answered "no, not for me". I was trying to help. Sorry. Deleted. I see your question about the phantom power has also been deleted, so I'm sure none of this makes sense to anyone reading it now :).
I am no mastermind but iirc phantom power sees the XLR connection. iow, ignores 1/4", etc. Actually Cliff mentioned this in one the threads I mentioned. so I really wanted to know if their was a risk to my Fractal stuff if this stupid little button is pushed in error and also, yes, I think they should be in another place on the focusrite device.
Yes I am crazy and most likely will send the Focusrite back and get something.

Back
Top Bottom