Audio gap when switching presets

I find the gap seems longer (or doubled??) when the AX8 is connected to AX8 edit.
Pausing the connection seems to help - at least for me - and gives a better understand of what I'm in for when using it live.

I find the gap seems longer (or doubled??) when the AX8 is connected to AX8 edit.
Pausing the connection seems to help - at least for me - and gives a better understand of what I'm in for when using it live.

That's because AX8 edit and the unit have to synchronize with each other, that costs time.
Therefore the pause button is there when you want to switch on the unit itself.

yes. Edit is never meant to be used during a performance.

One more thing - it's just 2 scenes between you can vary the gain/input trim/master etc... when using scene controllers? Or there could be for example 4 scenes of different gain settings?
There are two different approaches that I like

1) The two channel amp: Here, scene controller 1 is always min or max. Min corresponds to channel 1 and max is channel 2. Then I assign scene controller 1 to input trim, input gain, master, bright, boost and what I otherwise might need. You cannot assign scene controller to level in the amp block so I assign it to level in the cab block. The trick is that for each parameter you assign the controller to, you can set, which parameter value, min and max shall correspond to. You cannot assign controllers to bass middle and treble, but you can add an EQ block that is always on with channel 1, but not with channel 2. You can of course choose, which scenes use which channel. Only one of the two scene controllers are used.

2) Multiple gain levels. Here I assign input trim or gain to scene controller 1 and level in the cab block to scene controller 2, and allow them to use full range. That allow me as many gain levels and levels as I need. I have one preset, where I use four different scenes like this. It works well.

In other threads guys reference cheaper gear that switch seemlessly. The question in my mind always is so why don't you use the other product. The answer of course is because it is not an Axe, Ax, Fx. They do have the same sound, feel, features ect.
This is true but I don't think it's unreasonable for users to expect that a unit of this calibre is capable of switching just as seamlessly as those lesser units...

I played a gig last night with the AX8 (for the first time) and it sounded absolutely incredible (as I expected it would) and was in tone heaven but every time i had to hit my lead preset for a solo the very short gap seemed like an eternity. I just think it makes the player look (sound) a bit amateurish.

Needless to say, I'll be spending the day working on better ways to to incorporate this in to my scenes to achieve a better result.

This is true but I don't think it's unreasonable for users to expect that a unit of this calibre is capable of switching just as seamlessly as those lesser units...

I played a gig last night with the AX8 (for the first time) and it sounded absolutely incredible (as I expected it would) and was in tone heaven but every time i had to hit my lead preset for a solo the very short gap seemed like an eternity. I just think it makes the player look (sound) a bit amateurish.

Needless to say, I'll be spending the day working on better ways to to incorporate this in to my scenes to achieve a better result.
As I mentioned above the lesser unit can basically do it because they are lesser. No where near as much going on under the hood. Chris has mentioned in numerous threads that real amps have gaps when switching channels ect. I even recall EVH when talking about the design of one of his amps (evh3 I think) where is is the fastest switching amp he has ever had. He also talked about how back in the day he had to learn to switch a head a hair so that the gaps happened before the lead was to kick in or just before he had to switch to a lean sound ect

Okay, so I've just spent the past 2 hours implementing scene modifiers in my presets (as per @Smittefar's suggestion) rather than x/y switching between effect states and I have all but diminished my audio delay issues. I'm looking forward to running this live next weekend.

My only wish is that the Scene 1/2 could be utilised on the actual Preset selection switch rather than taking up a dedicated switch... so for example, you select a preset which lands you on scene 1 and hitting again toggles to scene 2.

Okay, so I've just spent the past 2 hours implementing scene modifiers in my presets (as per @Smittefar's suggestion) rather than x/y switching between effect states and I have all but diminished my audio delay issues. I'm looking forward to running this live next weekend.

My only wish is that the Scene 1/2 could be utilised on the actual Preset selection switch rather than taking up a dedicated switch... so for example, you select a preset which lands you on scene 1 and hitting again toggles to scene 2.

if you dedicate your bottom (or top) row to preset selection you can..

e.g.
preset 1 selected : scene 1/2 | 2 | 3 | 4
Preset 2 selected : 1 | scene 1/2 | 3 | 4
Preset 3 selected : 1 | 2 | Scene 1/2 | 4
Preset 4 selected : 1 | 2 | 3 | Scene 1/2

if you dedicate your bottom (or top) row to preset selection you can..

e.g.
preset 1 selected : scene 1/2 | 2 | 3 | 4
Preset 2 selected : 1 | scene 1/2 | 3 | 4
Preset 3 selected : 1 | 2 | Scene 1/2 | 4
Preset 4 selected : 1 | 2 | 3 | Scene 1/2
Awesome! Thanks man, can't believe I didn't think of that, I've been running a global setup...
Cheers

EDIT: Okay, so i've done this... works great however for me, the green LED doesn't light up to signify that the preset has been selected, only when scene 2 is engaged... is this correct behaviour?

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks man, can't believe I didn't think of that, I've been running a global setup...
Cheers

EDIT: Okay, so i've done this... works great however for me, the green LED doesn't light up to signify that the preset has been selected, only when scene 2 is engaged... is this correct behaviour?
Yes, because that switch is controlling S1/S2, not a preset. So Off = S1, On = S2.

Chris has mentioned in numerous threads that real amps have gaps when switching channels

Wouldn't ever use live a real amp which has such issues. No matter how good the tone was. I believe this thread - and numerous others - is about how to deal with the issue on AX8, not about:

- why it occurs
- why we should live with it
- how similar the issue is on other modeling gear
- how similar the issue is on real amps
- why modeling technology nowadays is doomed to have such issues
- best yoga methods to ignore it

Next time I read "I'm having problems with understanding why people have problems with audio gap on AX8 when switching presets" - I'll certainly loose again my faith in humanity ;)

Cheers, back to varying amp gain via controllers!

About amp level controller, it is not posible in last firmware version. But i have seen one fremem preset with amp level modifier asigned to a scene controller. So i think that older versions permited this, but last do not. Is it a bug?

I turned off the hold for x/y in the global settings and it made a big difference. I think I have isolated my issue in that it isn't so much when you change presets with your foot, it's when the unit receives a MIDI signal to change presets. The ultra had no issue, the AX8 definitely has a noticeable gap.

I just wanted to chime in here being a new AX8 owner...

I re-created my AFX2 XL presets on my Ax8 and had noticeable gaps when switching presets. I read through this thread and found that scenes would not work for me as I really need to switch between 2 presets, each having different amps. Thus scenes would not work. I did see that CPU measurements were about 82%. Although this is below the 90% threshold, I optimized the presets using recommendations listed in this thread and got the same preset down to 64% CPU.

Now (for me) there are really no noticeable gaps when switching presets. I was a bit confused because I was using AX8 edit to optimized my presets and this caused delays in switching presets and engaging blocks. After unplugging the USB cable, everything worked pretty well. I'm pretty happy with the improvements through optimization.

Cool - You can pause Ax8edit (upper right corner) with a mouse click. That works the same as removing the USB cable.

Cool - You can pause Ax8edit (upper right corner) with a mouse click. That works the same as removing the USB cable.

Upper left :) ;) ;)

For me, when plugged into usb and not paused, the operation is completely not acceptable. It's not only usual audio drop out, but sound stuttering, artifacts, long gaps, etc. So without pausing it's not operational at all - must be some kind of usb issue :(

I re-created my AFX2 XL presets on my Ax8 and had noticeable gaps when switching presets. I read through this thread and found that scenes would not work for me as I really need to switch between 2 presets, each having different amps. Thus scenes would not work. I did see that CPU measurements were about 82%. Although this is below the 90% threshold, I optimized the presets using recommendations listed in this thread and got the same preset down to 64% CPU.

Now (for me) there are really no noticeable gaps when switching presets.

Heck, another lucky guy! I hear annoying gap in presets' changes with just amp and cab, at less than 30% cpu usage.

Although I must admit this varies strongly between different amp pairs. Some pairs are almost acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom