Audio Drop out when switching patches/scenes

Hey guys, VERY new to this world and had searched high and low on an answer for the past 4 days and havent found an answer yet So i apologize if this is a duplicate.

We run Reaper live for backing tracks, click, and midi programming to change 2 Avid Eleven Racks and 1 AxeFx XLII+ (firmware on unit and MFC are full up to date). All three of us were all using the Avid 11R's and everything was programmed and working for months. The only thing that has changed is adding the AxeFxII.
The MFC is only for backup, it wont be used on the normal basis.

we went through all the factory presets and took the ones we like and copied them to the F bank and started from there as we didnt want to edit the factory presets directly. So our custom presets start at 640.

To test out the midi switching, we had the DAW start the AxeFx on 640 and switch to 651.
**640 is just distortion, with no cab sim**
**651 is a duplicate distortion of 640, but with some chorus and delay**

When the time comes for the DAW to make the switch, there is a noticeable gap/drop in audio.
After some research, we were told, due to the adding of chorus/delay, to just make the DAW switch scenes, instead of full patches.

Well, the same drop out occurs.

I created 640 Scn1 and then made 640 Scn2, duplcated of patch 651 and it still dropped out.

Due to us being so new to the AxeFx, we havent adjusted major settings in the Utility/IO screens so most things should be factory default.

I took a video of the issue and will link it here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/lujjozctgvkfa9w/Fractal_Dropout.mov?dl=0

any help would be amazing!!!!!

Last edited:
To reduce dropout, t's best to have blocks already loaded within your preset and yes, use scenes/controllers to turn on/off blocks. For example. If you want two different amp sounds, then use BOTH Amp Blocks instead of X/Y Switching as X/Y switching with ANYTHING requires the Unit to LOAD a new block. Can you upload screenshots of the two scenes so I can see whats changing? Also make sure you don't have Axe-edit open or at least have it in PAUSE mode.

To reduce dropout, t's best to have blocks already loaded within your preset and yes, use scenes/controllers to turn on/off blocks. For example. If you want two different amp sounds, then use BOTH Amp Blocks instead of X/Y Switching as X/Y switching with ANYTHING requires the Unit to LOAD a new block. Can you upload screenshots of the two scenes so I can see whats changing? Also make sure you don't have Axe-edit open or at least have it in PAUSE mode.
Thanks for the response. I won't be at the studio until tomorrow evening and will take screenshots of it for you. Thanks so much!!!

It sounds like Axe-Edit was open and active (unpaused), or an XY state was being changed somewhere (amp block maybe?).

Using scenes is definitely the method for gapless playback. Here's a quick sample MIDI switching through 3 scenes: Scene 1 no effects, Scene 2 adds delay on bar 5, and then Scene 3 ramps up the amp's drive knob on bar 8. I recorded straight through 16 bars and there aren't any discernible gaps, latencies or artifacts.

It sounds like Axe-Edit was open and active (unpaused), or an XY state was being changed somewhere (amp block maybe?).

Using scenes is definitely the method for gapless playback. Here's a quick sample MIDI switching through 3 scenes: Scene 1 no effects, Scene 2 adds delay on bar 5, and then Scene 3 ramps up the amp's drive knob on bar 8. I recorded straight through 16 bars and there aren't any discernible gaps, latencies or artifacts.

We thought that maybe AxeEdit would be an issue but we disconnected it from the computer. Yeah your audio is what it should be. Thanks so much for confirming that it's not right on our end.

The way we fixed it: We originally used one patch for each effect change. The patches each had a lot of filler/unused blocks. We streamlined each patch, removing unnecessary blocks. We then combined as many patches as we could by making them different scenes in one patch.

This was the response as my guitarist found a fix and had him text me what he did prior to me arriving at the studio.

All I know is I had to make some adjustments on the midi side of Reaper and everything worked flawlessly. But the midi/Reaper had nothing to do with the resolution.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

I use Scene to switch between them so i can get different tone . The problem i have is one of the scene is using X/Y amp block and X/Y Delay Block and i do have a gap in sound longer than normal . It is annoying me since... the CPU is loaded about 86%. i reduced already the Resolution in reverb block to save CPU but no difference...

I use Scene to switch between them so i can get different tone . The problem i have is one of the scene is using X/Y amp block and X/Y Delay Block and i do have a gap in sound longer than normal . It is annoying me since... the CPU is loaded about 86%. i reduced already the Resolution in reverb block to save CPU but no difference...

Toggling XY in the Amp block will always introduce a brief gap in audio. Even when using scenes or MIDI.

Delay block XY switch should be gapless but can cause other weird artifacts if the two delay settings are significantly different.

I will try to work around this and simplify the patch to lower the CPU , maybe put another drive pedal and not change the X/Y amp . Thank you .

Back
Top Bottom