Audible Thump When Switching Presets

56panhead

I know this has been discussed before. With the Axe FX II, apparently it was fixed in a firmware update. But it's happening again with Axe II v16.05. It's especially noticeable if the two presets use different amps. The thump is serious enough to cause issues at performance levels.

My output levels are the same. I try to keep the master volume level the same. If the MV level is drastically different, even with the same amp, you'll get a thump. If the two amps are different, no amount of adjustment of the MV will eliminate the thump.

Suggestions?

Here are two test presets. You'll notice the thump when going from Song A to Song B. It gets much more noticeable with a reverb block (which I always use...).

Attachments

• Song B.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Song A.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
I’m guessing it was just a typo in your first post, and you are having this issue on an AF3, since you mention you are in 16.05 which is current on the AF3.
I’ll load these shortly and take a look.
Cheers,
Lee

I’m guessing it was just a typo in your first post, and you are having this issue on an AF3, since you mention you are in 16.05 which is current on the AF3.
I’ll load these shortly and take a look.
Cheers,
Lee
Yup. My bad. Axe FX III.

Both of the presets you posted have In1 but no Out1. There is Out2 on both. Perhaps you are doing this intentionally? I added in Out1 to both, just to make it simple for me to hear what you have going on. I hear a Thump when moving from the Song A (distorted preset) to Song B (clean preset), but I don't notice it going from Song B to Song A. I haven't had any thumps that I can recall, in the recent timeframe. I see that you have the Amp's Level set around +18dB and I wonder if that might play a part in this? I'll share with you if I find anything that is a solid help for this.

Lee

I dropped in a second amp block in Song B, of the same type, just so I'd have a quick back and forth to see what had changed. There was plenty of volume without kicking the Level beyond 0dB. I deleted the original amp block, and tested going back and forth between Song A and Song B. I'm not detecting the Thump like it was before. I'm attaching so you can see what you hear. I don't have my system in a location where I can kick it up to stage volumes, but since the Thump was audible before, and not so much now (if at all), perhaps this will help.
Lee

Attachments

• Song B updated.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Check the effects block expecially the delay block... If there are two different delays with a great difference in settings this could happen.

@is9582: I was able to reduce the thump a bit by setting the Master Volume and Output Level to the same values. I used the Master Vol Trim to ensure that my levels (at the mixer) were the same for both presets. The thump is still there, and noticeable, but probably not serious enough to freak out the sound man. I hope.

Really wish I could get rid of this completely.....

Sorry the adjusted preset I attached wasn’t successful for you. It was promising going between it and your Song A preset, on my unit. Hope you can resolve the issues.
Lee

I know this has been discussed before. With the Axe FX II, apparently it was fixed in a firmware update. But it's happening again with Axe II v16.05. It's especially noticeable if the two presets use different amps. The thump is serious enough to cause issues at performance levels.

My output levels are the same. I try to keep the master volume level the same. If the MV level is drastically different, even with the same amp, you'll get a thump. If the two amps are different, no amount of adjustment of the MV will eliminate the thump.

Suggestions?
When you switch songs, what scene are you on in Song A?

The AMP block output on Song A Scene 1 is in a reasonable range, the rest are extremely low. The AMP block output on Song B Scene 1 is extremely hot with a very reduced input trim, a lot higher than anything I've needed to use. Resetting the output and the trim to their defaults got rid of the problem to where it was barely audible.

Following that, on the authentic tab for Song A's amp, I reset the tone controls, and when I reset the Bass control by double-clicking it, I recreated the thump.

Doing a hard reset on both amps back to their defaults got rid of the problem entirely, and all that's left seems to be a quick drop and ramp up in volume because of the different amp types causing the CPU to let the models settle. It's expected.

I'd recommend doing the hard reset on the channels, then carefully adjusting them back to the desired sound, using the Snapshot tool each time you tweak a preset, so you can roll backwards and forwards and switch presets, looking to see if the thump is reintroduced. If it comes back, you can revert to the previous snapshot, and, at that point see if is reintroduced by rolling forward one step. If so, dig into that particular adjustment to figure out what is causing the problem.

Are you letting the guitar ring as you switch presets? That would make the preset change more obvious because of the volume drop and rise. If so, I'd try to find a moment of silence when I could change.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Presets#Preset_levels and its following section might help.

Reactions: J.C
Back
Top Bottom