Audacity

My possible trojan DAW of choice is Cakewalk by Bandlab ;) After years of paying for updates Gibson purchased the DAW and ran it to the ground. Just when all hope was lost Bandlab purchased it and has made it free. It seems too good to be true, but is good so far!!

Guess I'm glad I don't use it.

I've always wondered about a lot of the little free/cheap games and apps that come from random developers. Who knows what they're doing in the background?

Better discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27727150

And you can fork and build it with all the networking disabled nullifying any concerns here.

It was acquired by a Russia-based company, Muse, a few months ago: https://www.musictech.net/news/industry/audacity-acquired-muse-group-ultimate-guitar-musescore/ -- some of what's happening here is in response to EULA changes which seem a bit boilerplate-ish and possibly not well vetted before being applied. Some is in response to the addition of Sentry.io integration, which is very standard exception reporting that companies use.

Lotta nothingburger here.

My possible trojan DAW of choice is Cakewalk by Bandlab ;) After years of paying for updates Gibson purchased the DAW and ran it to the ground. Just when all hope was lost Bandlab purchased it and has made it free. It seems too good to be true, but is good so far!!
Nothing is free.

Guess I'm glad I don't use it.

I've always wondered about a lot of the little free/cheap games and apps that come from random developers. Who knows what they're doing in the background?

Usually open source programs don't play any BS games like this. They usually just put something up for free, let you have the source code if you want it and that's the end of it. The new owners, however, have a profit motive in mind.

I agree with iaresee. All that happened here is that somebody read the fine print in the EULA. The fine print is probably a little different for Audacity because Russia, but you'll find similar things in all EULA's.

If you want a free DAW, many DAW makers these days offer a free version.

Usually open source programs don't play any BS games like this. They usually just put something up for free, let you have the source code if you want it and that's the end of it. The new owners, however, have a profit motive in mind.
The source code is freely available in accordance with the OSS licensing it was created under and complies with. They "let you have the source code if you want it and that's the end of it".

Muse Group added Sentry exception monitoring. That and the fact they're EU based required them to disclose the data collection specifics. Some lawyer used boilerplate. Stupid people reported stupidity and more stupid occured.

Full stop.

Viral click-bait bullshit

Your iPhone is revealing the size of your underwear to the traders from Orion

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom