ATTN: Strat players - what are your in/out levels?

great info paul+steve , it seems im not doing anything wrong then , but i still wonder if cliff can add a little extra to the input trim
im not sure how that works , or if there is a natural limit on the trim (100%)
if not well then maybe we can have like 25% more ???
am i totally wrong here ?

Stop worrying about it.

Is there a parameter in the Axe II that controls the global level into the grid? The AD-Input does NOT change levels, the Input Trim is in the Amp block. Where does the Global Amp Gain level?
I really need a Global Gain that's located BEFORE the grid and the envelope follower to compensate for different guitars. I DON'T want to make extra patches for different guitars. That was easy with the input level knob on the Ultra...

Reactions: jon
I've had the same issue. It's hard to get my head around not having a front panel input. But it sounds good so I guess I should stop worrying.

My biggest problem is strat to full on high power humbucker - strat at 100% bucker at 10%. Thinking about using a boost pedal to compensate before the axe input to make life easy live. Or could we ask nicely for a controller on the input level control and assign a footswitch to the input level to toggle between high and low values?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.595167,-1.771463

Thinking about using a boost pedal to compensate before the axe input to make life easy live. Or could we ask nicely for a controller on the input level control and assign a footswitch to the input level to toggle between high and low values?

I also thought about using the boost pedal, but I'd rather like your second suggestion. Cliff, PLEASE...

Going to try using the input gain control in the advanced amp tab for now - set the input for my high output guitars and compensate there. Probably not quite so good SNR but hey it works!

Is there a parameter in the Axe II that controls the global level into the grid? The AD-Input does NOT change levels, the Input Trim is in the Amp block. Where does the Global Amp Gain level?
I really need a Global Gain that's located BEFORE the grid and the envelope follower to compensate for different guitars. I DON'T want to make extra patches for different guitars. That was easy with the input level knob on the Ultra...

+1111111 on this!!!!

I dont get it. Maybe its just me - but if you had several guitars and were playing a real amp - would you constantly change the gain at the front to compensate for your different guitars or would you just use the guitar that gave the tone and gain structure you needed?

Personally for me its always been the second. I never changed the settings on the amp (bar possibly the EQ a little) once I started playing. I can see why you might for recording - but then if your recording your going to have a patch set up for the song which would also be set up for the guitar your going to use.

As I understand it - the front ip just sets the S/N ratio - it doesnt effect what goes into the chain, which will always be what comes from the guitar so it it JUST like having several guitars and one amp. If you DO need to change the settings on a real amp to compensate you can do so with the AFX - either by duplicating the patch and tweeking that to suit, or by tweeking the input trip in the amp block OR adjusting the amp gain (isnt that pretty much the same putting a boost in front of the amp in the first instance, and upping the gain on the amp in the second?)

Reactions: yek
Actually, this morning it's not bothering me at high levels - tone doesn't change much if at all. I'll take Zappa's lead and shut up and play my guitar.

No but when setting the input level yo low it can induce distortion because the bit rate is too low.
Or something similar.
Cliff replied this when I said I had to turn input trim way down to try to get rid of the unwanted distortion.
So I guess I'll have to adjust when swapping guitars.
I just find this a bit odd but I guess it has something to do with getting the guitar signal in the highest possible "bit resolution" if I understand this correctly.
It also seems a bit tedious that, when for example you're in the middle of a performance, when switching guitars, you have to go to I/O, strum hard and set levels. Don't forget this can be noisy because of the digital pot.
With the Ultra I just adjusted it for the highest output.

Ed (or anyone)-Can you explain thias a bit more or point me towards the info? With my Strats I sometimes get this digital type noise-sounds like fret rattle, pickup noise, but it's not-I have checked the strings. I never get "near" the red, ever. In fact I get the out clip red but still only one or two input lights?
Thanks

I dont get it. Maybe its just me - but if you had several guitars and were playing a real amp - would you constantly change the gain at the front to compensate for your different guitars or would you just use the guitar that gave the tone and gain structure you needed?

Personally for me its always been the second. I never changed the settings on the amp (bar possibly the EQ a little) once I started playing. I can see why you might for recording - but then if your recording your going to have a patch set up for the song which would also be set up for the guitar your going to use.

As I understand it - the front ip just sets the S/N ratio - it doesnt effect what goes into the chain, which will always be what comes from the guitar so it it JUST like having several guitars and one amp. If you DO need to change the settings on a real amp to compensate you can do so with the AFX - either by duplicating the patch and tweeking that to suit, or by tweeking the input trip in the amp block OR adjusting the amp gain (isnt that pretty much the same putting a boost in front of the amp in the first instance, and upping the gain on the amp in the second?)

In the analog days I had a RC boost first in the chain and compensated there for different guitars. First in the chain because everything that comes after will be affected (what I want). If I don't compensate at the beginning (that's BEFORE the grid in the Axe) drive and compressor blocks will behave differently and of course the envelope follower (which I use a lot) will not react correctly. Upping the Amp Gain will not get me there, it's after the above mentioned blocks.
I really don't want to duplicate or triple my patches to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom