Attention PRS Experts: Neck Finish Question

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
After selling off a large amount of guitars over the past year, I’m reading to pick up something new (or used). I’ve been looking at alternatives to Les Pauls, but my main requirements are a fixed bridge or non -locking trem, two humbuckers, a mahogany body, and a satin-finished neck.

In regards to the PRS line, does anyone know what models shipped with a satin-finished neck. It appears that most of the bolt-on neck models have a satin finish. Did PRS do a satin finish on any of their set-neck models?

I had a 2019 594 singlecut for a few days and had to send it back because the neck was so slick. The poly finish was super slippery. Nitro doesn't feel like that to me at all. Stuck with my Les Paul.

I had a 2019 594 singlecut for a few days and had to send it back because the neck was so slick. The poly finish was super slippery. Nitro doesn't feel like that to me at all. Stuck with my Les Paul.

Yeah, I absolutely cannot play glossy necks. My hands sweat a lot and it makes for a very uncomfortable time.

Very few. You'll have to shop carefully if a non-glossy neck is what you want. Offhand, the CEs, the S2 Satins, maybe an artist model or two, and that's it. The rosewood neck Eagles are stain finished, but also >$10k.

That said, it's not hard to do the old steel wool treatment to the back of a PRS neck if the gloss finish bugs you. You'll be customizing it ways others may not enjoy, so if resale value bothers you maybe don't. But you'll have a neck finish you get along with better which make might it a keeper.

PRS Tech Center will do it for $100 or so as well.

Last edited:
Hi

I have a PRS Zache Myers SE which has a fitted not bolted satin neck ,
  • Top Wood: Quilted Maple with satin finish.
  • Back Wood: Mahogany with satin finish.
  • Number of Frets: 22.
  • Scale Length: 24.5"
  • Neck Wood: Mahogany with satin finish.
  • Fretboard Wood: Ebony.
  • Neck Shape: Wide Fat.
  • Fretboard Inlays: Birds.
Mine was a special ltd edits quilted blue that I bought second hand , plays like a dream pickups sound awesome and thats the standard one, only cost me £250 bargain. but I've got 6 PRS SE's and 1 PRS Core model I'm a bit partial to nice PRS

Happy hunting
G :)

You don't say what your budget is. It is common to have a solid rosewood neck with an ebony fretboard on their Wood Library models that do not have a glossy finish on the neck. These are way under $10K. More in the 3 to 4K range. Here is my Wood Library Custom 22. I got it new for under 4K.

1587333017066.jpeg
1587333058560.jpeg

Last edited:
I second the rosewood necks. I have 5 of them. They have the best feel of any neck that I have played.

I have a rosewood necked PRS. If you get one used, they can still be affordable. The other advantage of used, older PRSs, is that they can have the wide/fat neck carve, which personally I find superior to the new pattern necks.

I have a rosewood necked PRS. If you get one used, they can still be affordable. The other advantage of used, older PRSs, is that they can have the wide/fat neck carve, which personally I find superior to the new pattern necks.

I personally didnt notice a huge difference between pattern regular and wide fat - they're nearly identical if im remembering right.

A rosie cu22 is still on my GAS list.

S2 satin. Great guitars. I have one and want more.
Can vouch, the S2 Satins are great. I have 2 CE24s, one in satin black and the other in a Trampas green.
What sold me on the Trampas green is that it was one of the only ones I've seen that had not only a satin / black neck but also matching black headstock, where all others have been maple. Had to grab it and love both guitars.

I personally didnt notice a huge difference between pattern regular and wide fat - they're nearly identical if im remembering right.

A rosie cu22 is still on my GAS list.

I once had a NF3 (which is discontinued but does has an unfinished maple neck - these can be quite cheap on the used market). It sounded fantastic but I had to sell it because the pattern neck was uncomfortable to play for long periods of time. It's the only PRS I ever sold. All the others are wide/fat, and always feel great to play. I think it is the soft "V" contour of the pattern that I dislike.

You don't say what your budget is. It is common to have a solid rosewood neck with an ebony fretboard on their Wood Library models that do not have a glossy finish on the neck. These are way under $10K. More in the 3 to 4K range. Here is my Wood Library Custom 22. I got it new for under 4K.

View attachment 66497
View attachment 66498

Yeah, I should have included my budget. I’m trying to stay around $1,000, but it looks like I’ll need to be around $2,000 for a decent PRS. So far, I’ve had a lot of luck finding CE-24’s with satin-finished necks. How do these compare to the more expensive PRS’s? Are these made in the USA? I don’t need any fancy tops; a solid finish will suffice. I’m very new to PRS guitars and still haven’t learned the prefixes and nomenclature that they use.

I paid under $1000 for my Holcomb. They kept the price that low by using non-locking tuners, but it has the same pickups as the high-end version. The workmanship is impressive.

Yeah, I should have included my budget. I’m trying to stay around $1,000, but it looks like I’ll need to be around $2,000 for a decent PRS. So far, I’ve had a lot of luck finding CE-24’s with satin-finished necks. How do these compare to the more expensive PRS’s? Are these made in the USA? I don’t need any fancy tops; a solid finish will suffice. I’m very new to PRS guitars and still haven’t learned the prefixes and nomenclature that they use.
I bought a CE-24 maybe 18-24 months ago for $1400 (it's a 2016 I think)... Nice carved top and finish.

The neck feel is great... It's a little more than satin but not much. I don't like finished necks...

The CE as far as I know are all made in USA... Just bolt on necks.

Back
Top Bottom