Attention PRS Experts: Neck Finish Question

Congrats on the new guitar! It's hard to go wrong with a PRS. I've never used a guitar with a rotary knob, I would think that would be hard to adjust on the fly. I'm with you on the change to a switch. Awesome looking guitar!

Give some thought to series/parallel switches and maybe a phase if you dig that. It opens up a whole new realm of sounds....

I swapped my 5-way for the toggle on my first custom 22, and would recommend it if you're not really using the split sounds. You still get them via the push/pull if you want them.

I currently have a 3-way toggle on order, but I’m currently exploring the possibility of adding a push/pull tone knob to add an additional configuration, but to be honest, position 1 and 5 will be my most used positions on this guitar. I have a Fender Strat if I need so good single coil tones.

Congrats on the new guitar! It's hard to go wrong with a PRS. I've never used a guitar with a rotary knob, I would think that would be hard to adjust on the fly. I'm with you on the change to a switch. Awesome looking guitar!

Thank you! Yeah, It’s nowhere near as efficient as a toggle or 5-way blade switch. It may be more aesthetically pleasing, but I just can’t unlearn 30+ years of flicking that switch.

Try using it the way PRSh does. Slam the rotary to its extremes when making changing settings then click it once to go back or forward one notch.

Once I learned this technique it became much easier to use.

Try using it the way PRSh does. Slam the rotary to its extremes when making changing settings then click it once to go back or forward one notch.

Once I learned this technique it became much easier to use.

Playing primarily prog and metal, I’m switching between position 1 and 5 99% of the time. There’s just nothing quicker than flicking a 3-way or 5-way with my fingers in-between riffing and playing leads.

I have a CE24 and the neck is awesome

I honestly have no words to describe how amazing this guitar is. I don’t know what PRS does to make their guitars play and feel this well, but I’m actually considering selling off all my other guitars.

Were it mine, I'd've probably put the switch where the tone knob is and put the tone knob where the switch is, but looks factory....

You must have read my mind. I honestly thought about doing that, and at the last minute, decided to keep the OEM layout for aesthetics. Plus, the body is already routed for the switch and this puts the toggle just a little closer to my picking hand.

Congrats on the CE. I have a 98 CE 22 that I use a scotch pad on to keep clean/smooth. Have a Holcomb SE as well. A couple of my guitars I have baking soda blasted the finish to make them like the Holcomb. Cheap spot sand blasting gun backing soda and an air compressor. A little time to mask off but it makes a nice finish without taking a lot of material off. Naturally over time it will polish up again just from normal use and honestly not as nice as natural wood.

Congrats on the CE. I have a 98 CE 22 that I use a scotch pad on to keep clean/smooth. Have a Holcomb SE as well. A couple of my guitars I have baking soda blasted the finish to make them like the Holcomb. Cheap spot sand blasting gun backing soda and an air compressor. A little time to mask off but it makes a nice finish without taking a lot of material off. Naturally over time it will polish up again just from normal use and honestly not as nice as natural wood.

There’s actually a decent amount of the satin coat left on the neck. It’s surprising for a 15 year old guitar. There are a few places where it’s worn down to the nitro gloss coat, primarily in the cowboy chord area. But the gloss nitro doesn’t seem to bother me as much as a gloss poly. It really has a completely different feel.

That’s an extremely clean guitar, congrats! I’ve got a newer CE-24 and the neck is great, satin finish that isn’t sticky. I highly recommend the 3-way switch. Mine has a push pull to split coils but I never use it. I’ll likely just replace with standard CTS 500k pots as mine are starting to get worn from pickup swaps.

That’s an extremely clean guitar, congrats! I’ve got a newer CE-24 and the neck is great, satin finish that isn’t sticky. I highly recommend the 3-way switch. Mine has a push pull to split coils but I never use it. I’ll likely just replace with standard CTS 500k pots as mine are starting to get worn from pickup swaps.

Yeah, I did the 3-way with a push/pull tone. So far I’m loving it. I’ve owned many guitars over the years, and this one is, without a doubt, the best playing guitar I’ve ever owned. I wasn’t sure I’d like the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups, but they are surprisingly very good. They are actually close to what I was looking for in the first place. And for the price I got it for, it’s in amazing condition.

Yeah, I did the 3-way with a push/pull tone. So far I’m loving it. I’ve owned many guitars over the years, and this one is, without a doubt, the best playing guitar I’ve ever owned. I wasn’t sure I’d like the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups, but they are surprisingly very good. They are actually close to what I was looking for in the first place. And for the price I got it for, it’s in amazing condition.

I've owned a lot of guitars but I've never been so happy with one as this one. I'm two years into owning as well, so no honeymoon here.

Back
Top Bottom