Attention acoustic musicians: Great News!

Radley

Experienced
Thanks to 'Mr. Java', we now have a whole slew of acoustic guitar IRs ready to be loaded into the AFXll Cab blocks! (I believe they are usable in earlier models also). By using the various parameters in the ll's Cab blocks, we can actually achieve a *better* sound than with the Aura hardware! :) The different mics can be used as an effective form of EQ and the mic distance adds a very cool fatness and depth. The air parameter adds a dash of direct signal in the mids without masking the highs & lows which can add some extra clarity and 'center'. Using a stereo Cab, you can use two different IRs to create an excellent stereo guitar image. I also love the size parameter (currently only in the mono Cab) - it can literally be used *change the size* of the guitar body, and to make a so-so IR sound much better. (this parameter also does great things when using amp cabs!)

The thread that contains these IRs is here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/user-cabs-irs/46847-fishman-aura-axefx-ii-capture-thread.html

With this 'discovery', I really believe the AFX is *the* piece to have for the serious acoustic musician! Piezo pickups are essential for nixing feedback, but they always add that trademark 'quackiness' to the tone, :( but using the above technique we can bring back a rich, full and natural miked guitar sound....

Spread The Word!

PS: Using Fishman violin or cello IRs in this manor should be very helpful in achieving the best AFX 'violin tone' as well.

Last edited:
I have done some more experimenting and am still *loving* the sounds! I hope any of you who give this a serious try will post your results & techniques so we can build on this 'knowledgebase'...

I have done some more experimenting and am still *loving* the sounds! I hope any of you who give this a serious try will post your results & techniques so we can build on this 'knowledgebase'...

I used the Fishorch08 IR with yek's acoustic preset playing my James Tyler Variax on the acoustic setting--best tone yet...this is really going to be good.

I have a Taylor 615. It's a jumbo. The only pickup I've used with it that does a good job with this particular guitar (I've tried a bunch) is the LR Baggs M1. Has anyone tried these IR's with the LR Baggs?

I have the M1 pickup also - hope to try it with these IRs in the next few days.... :)

Last edited:
so are you guys basically just using a cab block when playing an acoustic. i'm assuming no amp block? i'd love to see some of you guy's acoustic patches just to see your signal chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
so are you guys basically just using a cab block when playing an acoustic. i'm assuming no amp block? i'd love to see some of you guy's acoustic patches just to see your signal chain.

You could use the tube pre if you wanted more volume and coloration but its not needed.

I believe I have some, but they may be in the Ultra format - could these be made to work?
You can convert them with AxeOMatic. I've got those archived; if needed I can convert them and post somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom