Attended G3 last night - Vegas - amp comment

alboz28

Inspired
Checked out G3 last night here in Vegas.

Phil Collen - BlackStar Amps

John Petrucci - Mesa JP2C and 4x12 Recto Cabs (stereo)

Joe Satriani - JVM410 and Marshall Cabs stereo

Mike Keneally - KSR head and Cab

DJ Ashba (guest appearance) - Kemper and Marshall Cab

I could not see effects racks to verify any Fractal gear :(

I do have to say that Petrucci's tone dominated the other rigs. He had the Mesa's cranked to their sweet spot. The only criticism would be he had to much delay mixed that sometimes overwhelmed and caused it to washed out a bit.
When they all got together and performed their end of show jam it was interesting to hear all rigs at the same time. I was in front of stage so I was mainly hearing stage volume. Still have to say the Mesa the way it was sitting in the band mix was very powerful and big.

Last edited:
I'll be going to see G3 next week in Kansas City. It'll be my first time seeing Joe Satriani, and I'm a huge fan so it's going to be awesome.

Yeah, petrucci's tone is legendary. In the G3 videos I've watched though, I always thought Joe had the most distinctive sound of the group (whoever it may include at the time). I'll have to hear for myself next week.

it is interesting to me as well when you get all these guys together, how much different their tone really is and which one dominates.
Theres a video out there somewhere of Zakk Wylde playing with Joe Bonamassa - its crazy how crappy Zakk's tone sounds when compared to Bonamassa's...

I'm counting the minutes until the Mesa show tonight. The delay is 100% fractal. It didn't sound too bad on the youtube videos of the tour.

Here is a picture I took of his tour rack rig at Guitar Universe. He runs the delay at 100% mix and I find that it's too high. I use his delay block at 35%. But who am I to question my guitar hero?

Attachments

• IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 51
I'll be going to see G3 next week in Kansas City. It'll be my first time seeing Joe Satriani, and I'm a huge fan so it's going to be awesome.

Yeah, petrucci's tone is legendary. In the G3 videos I've watched though, I always thought Joe had the most distinctive sound of the group (whoever it may include at the time). I'll have to hear for myself next week.

Joe's tone was definitely good - I have been a fan for many many years. I think I liked his tone prior to the Marshal JVM switchover though

Enjoy the show ! - I would be curious on your observations - have fun !

I'm counting the minutes until the Mesa show tonight. The delay is 100% fractal. It didn't sound too bad on the youtube videos of the tour.

Here is a picture I took of his tour rack rig at Guitar Universe. He runs the delay at 100% mix and I find that it's too high. I use his delay block at 35%. But who am I to question my guitar hero?

Enjoy the show ! Let me know what you think

It was a very interesting show. I was in the front row towards stage left so all I could hear was stage volume.

Phil Collen is a great player. He seemed a bit out of place to me with Satriani and Petrucci but it was great of him to be included and see and think of him outside of Def Leppard. He has a blues album coming out called Delta Deep on 01/26 that he played songs from. I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out. I was directly in front of his amp. It sounded pretty good but it lacked the warmth and roundness of a good tube amp.

Petrucci's amp was moved directly in front of me for his set. More great JP-2C tone (I wish I could duplicate my JP-2C well on my AX8). I didn't feel like the delay washed out the sound at all. Getting stage volume only there was no sense of stereo. John's performance wasn't at its best. It looked like he was wearing ear plugs and not IEM. He fell behind the beat several times and seemed to struggle on a few songs. He is typically a flawless player so there is room for forgiveness. It's also comforting to see our heroes as humans.

Satriani puts on a great show as one would expect. His rig was hard stage right and I could barely hear him the rest of the show. Once he finished his set and they brought Petrucci's and Collen's amps back out all I could hear was the JP-2C. It was absurdly loud and my Etymotic earplugs were almost rendered useless. It sounded fantastic but was face melting.

Ultimately this was a fantastic show and any one should catch it if they have the opportunity. I hope they release a DVD so I can hear what I missed.

Do you like your JP-2C ? - I have the Mark V - It likes to be at master volume around 10 or 11 o"clock for face melting tone

Do you like your JP-2C ? - I have the Mark V - It likes to be at master volume around 10 or 11 o"clock for face melting tone

I love, love, love the JP-2C. I'm playing in a small 10x10 room at home so it's hard to get to the 10/11 o'clock master volume without rattling my skull. Hopefully I'll figure out the right settings to use the AX8 with FRFR and get a similar tone at a lower volume.

He fell behind the beat several times and seemed to struggle on a few songs. He is typically a flawless player so there is room for forgiveness. It's also comforting to see our heroes as humans.

I've seen DT once or twice- I've seen him solo 3x (G3 2001/2007/2018)

He was not the same person last tight- he came alive in the jam but the first half of his set his mind wasn't there... his head wasn't in it.

He came-to halfway through damage control- but really he wasn't himself

I hope all is well- but something didn't seem right- his head wasn't 100% in it

Back
Top Bottom