Attempting to create a global Reverb bypass switch

Surefire641

I've been experimenting with various iterations of applying a modifier and control switch to bypass all the reverb blocks on my FC-12. I used delay on almost every preset, so when playing live (especially outside) I find reverb unnecessary. Modifying every preset or deleting the reverb blocks before every show would be a pain and I'm already using two expression pedals (master volume/wah+plex delay).

I use banks of ten presets and have a "scenes" layout I can use for any given preset, and move back and forth. I've set up one layout as "utilities" and have my stand-in switches setup there (external tuner/tempo, etc...). I made latching, master reverb Control Switch in the utilities layout sending a MIDI CC to turn off the reverb (modifier = control switch #3). What I can't prevent is the switch state being reset every time I change presets. I've tried everything I can think of to make this state remain off and apply across all presets, but no luck so far.

Anyone else manage to set up a master bypass?

Ok. For any blocks that you want to enable/disable globally: Add a modifier to the bypass knob in the blocks and set up an external controller as source...maybe ext ctrl #16?
Now you define in a global menu which value the each ext ctrl gets when you boot the Axe, 0 or 100 percent.
You want the blocks to be on? Set the start-up value for ext ctrl #16 to 100 and reboot. You want it off, set to 0 and reboot.
That works for all kind of blocks, that you want to switch together globally.

Once loaded an ext ctrl keeps its value until you send a new value to it or you turn the Axe all off, so changing presets or scenes will not bypass or unbypass your blocks. That trick can help you to use different inputs or outputs in different situations, you can switch many things that way.
Such modified blocks may not get turned on/off by hand in the grid as long as they are controlled by the ext ctrl, to turn one by hand you need to unlink its modifier again.

In case you want to control the ext ctrls state without rebooting, theres also a way.
Assign midi cc numbers for the ext ctrl in the global menu. That way you can send midi cc values to these ext ctrls to control them.

Click the global button in your reverb block. Then at the gig set the Global Reverb Mix to 0.

Aren't the global mix controls like the II, only able to subtract or add half of the actual mix %? So for a block set to 20% the global control can only put it somewhere between 10 and 30%.

You want the blocks to be on? Set the start-up value for ext ctrl #16 to 100 and reboot. You want it off, set to 0 and reboot.

Are you sure rebooting is necessary? On the Axe II init. value adjustments take effect immediately.

It might be preferable to assign this modifier to reverb input gain, unless you're already modifying input gain somehow. Then you could still bypass reverb normally with a bypass IA, or in scenes where you never want reverb.

Ok. For any blocks that you want to enable/disable globally: Add a modifier to the bypass knob in the blocks and set up an external controller as source...maybe ext ctrl #16?
Now you define in a global menu which value the each ext ctrl gets when you boot the Axe, 0 or 100 percent.
That works for all kind of blocks, that you want to switch together globally.

Once loaded an ext ctrl keeps its value until you send a new value to it or you turn the Axe all off, so changing presets or scenes will not bypass or unbypass your blocks. That trick can help you to use different inputs or outputs in different situations, you can switch many things that way.
Such modified blocks may not get turned on/off by hand in the grid as long as they are controlled by the ext ctrl, to turn one by hand you need to unlink its modifier again.

In case you want to control the ext ctrls state without rebooting, theres also a way.
Assign midi cc numbers for the ext ctrl in the global menu. That way you can send midi cc values to these ext ctrls to control them.
Ingenius, I'm going to give this a try.

Personally I would just go a little more low tech and copy two versions of all the presets, one with and one without reverb.

A global switch would definitely be neat, but alternate presets would be easier for the use case you described imo. Only extra step in your tweaking workflow would be ‘tweak tweak tweak, save, bypass reverb, save to new preset number’

Aren't the global mix controls like the II, only able to subtract or add half of the actual mix %? So for a block set to 20% the global control can only put it somewhere between 10 and 30%.

Are you sure rebooting is necessary? On the Axe II init. value adjustments take effect immediately.

It might be preferable to assign this modifier to reverb input gain, unless you're already modifying input gain somehow. Then you could still bypass reverb normally with a bypass IA, or in scenes where you never want reverb.
Yes to both.

I haven''t checked for a while if they load a new value immediatly when you adjust them. But that's even better.
I have 13 of them in use in my presets, but they way I use them is via midi, so I don't have to go to the init value settings.

What takes effect immediatly for sure is when an ext ctrl receives it's value. The controlled parameters change immediatly and when you call up a different preset, all controlled parameters have the new valuea right from the start...no hickups, nothing.

Back
Top Bottom