Attaching the FM3 to a Pedal Board

TheloniusJ

Experienced
My apologies for being lazy, but I realized that without reading through hundreds of pages of forum, it was going to be tough to get my answer.

Basically, what I want to know is how are people attaching the FM3 to pedal boards? I think some people are doing the classic of putting velcro on the FM3 (which I'm actually hoping to avoid) and others are doing things like screwing it onto the board (I'll admit I don't fully understand how this one works). I've seen at least one person use large zip ties.

Anyway, I'd appreciate folks weighing in on how they have attached their FM3 to a pedal board.

For reference, I'm hoping to use an old Pedaltrain-1 I have (which already has velcro on it. Below is a picture of how I want to have it set up (with temporary cord routing which I will clean up).

FM3 Setup.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Basically, what I want to know is how are people attaching the FM3 to pedal boards?
The short answer is the very next thing you wrote in your post:

I think some people are doing the classic of putting velcro on the FM3 (which I'm actually hoping to avoid) and others are doing things like screwing it onto the board (I'll admit I don't fully understand how this one works). I've seen at least one person use large zip ties.
That pretty much sums it up. Your choices are Velcro or screws, with cable ties as a distant third. (Look at the bottom of your FM3. You'll see screws. :))

Long answer: These two threads contain pretty much everything that's ever been said on the question:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hard-mounting-to-pedalboard.161410/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm3-rigs.158779/

The short answer is the very next thing you wrote in your post:

That pretty much sums it up. Your choices are Velcro or screws, with cable ties as a distant third. (Look at the bottom of your FM3. You'll see screws. :))

Long answer: These two threads contain pretty much everything that's ever been said on the question:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hard-mounting-to-pedalboard.161410/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lets-see-those-fm3-rigs.158779/

Thanks so much. I've looked through the let's see those rigs post, but hadn't seen the other one.

I really appreciate the help!

Hello! As Rex says, they are pretty much your options.

I've been using my GloRiser system on my boards since the AX8 days and it works great. No removing anything, holds everything really well and allows you to light up the base if you want. Here it is with my FM3 board. Uses Velcro, makes it easy to position and move stuff around if you need.

fm board 1 copy.jpgFM3 riser copy.jpg

I've got a longer version of that Pedaltrain board and I used velcro for the FM3 and FC6. Works great. Just make sure the fan hole on the bottom of the FM3 is not covered.

So do you just apply the velcro on the feet of the FM3? Or are you removing them?

I've been using my GloRiser system on my boards since the AX8 days and it works great. No removing anything, holds everything really well and allows you to light up the base if you want. Here it is with my FM3 board. Uses Velcro, makes it easy to position and move stuff around if you need.

Thanks, I'll check these out.

I've found two long strips of 3M dual lock along the entire length of the feet is plenty sufficient. Basically impossible to get off by pulling/moving around, but super easy to wedge off with a flathead screwdriver between the dual lock strips.

So you did not remove the feet?

I removed the feet on mine, but I used 3M Dual Lock to attach it to a Pedaltrain. The Dual Lock is extra thick, so it provides some clearance so the bottom still has some space for ventilation. Also, I made sure to position the FM3 so the air vent is right over one of the openings between the Pedaltrain rails.

So you did not remove the feet?

Nope I kept the feet on, didn't think it's necessary plus the extra gap for ventilation probably doesn't hurt either. Mine is on a Novo 18 board

In fact you don't even need strips the whole length of the feet, just the corners is sufficient since the dual lock doesn't even touch in the middle of the feet as it's raised compared to the corners, but having the dual lock across the entire feet makes it much easier to wedge off without damaging the dual lock in the corners. But trust me even with just the dual lock connection in the corners it's ridiculously hard to just pull off or have it fall off somehow.

Nope I kept the feet on, didn't think it's necessary plus the extra gap for ventilation probably doesn't hurt either. Mine is on a Novo 18 board

In fact you don't even need strips the whole length of the feet, just the corners is sufficient since the dual lock doesn't even touch in the middle of the feet as it's raised compared to the corners, but having the dual lock across the entire feet makes it much easier to wedge off without damaging the dual lock in the corners. But trust me even with just the dual lock connection in the corners it's ridiculously hard to just pull off or have it fall off somehow.

Really good to know. Maybe I'll give this a go. I have a temporary attachment right now which is OK, but I'll probably try this first.

Thanks again.

View attachment 74349View attachment 74348

Cool solutions!!

Back
Top Bottom