FM3 Atonal electronica with droptuned guitars - stepping out of my comfort zone

Mats Nermark

Inspired
A guy at a Swedish guitar forum said I should try to step out of my comfort zone and do something I don't really know how to do. So I started thinking about what I'm not familiar with and came up with three things.
1. Drop tuned guitars.
2. Electronica. I'm not familiar with this genre.
3. Atonality. I'm very much schooled in the western concept of tonality. Too much! Anything out of the major/minor scales is problematic for me.

So I decided to write an Electronica tune using drop tuned rhythm guitars and with a melody with notes outside the major scale.
I have no idea how people knowledgable about those genres will think about how "real" the tune is but I had a blast writing and recording it and I tried to get a very clean mix.

I'd love to hear your comments on the stylistic mixture.

Cheers,

Mats N

Ah ha…love it. I’m not much of an “Electronica” expert in the sense of genres like EDM and the rave type music of the 90’s. However, I’m very much and electronic musician. Guitar is my first instrument, but had synths since the 80’s. Anyway, I thought it was great. The mix is top notch. The “atonality” of the main guitar draws me in. I like the small slightly more diatonic melodic guitar section for good measure. What I envisioned when listening was the opening theme of an action movie or suspense.👍

Update:
I should take back that the guitar solo section was not atonal. On second listen you’re doing all sorts of cool semi chromatic runs and other outside notes, but next to the main theme is seems more “normal”.😉

Last edited:
Ah ha…love it. I’m not much of an “Electronica” expert in the sense of genres like EDM and the rave type music of the 90’s. However, I’m very much and electronic musician. Guitar is my first instrument, but had synths since the 80’s. Anyway, I thought it was great. The mix is top notch. The “atonality” of the main guitar draws me in. I like the small slightly more diatonic melodic guitar section for good measure. What I envisioned when listening was the opening theme of an action movie or suspense.👍

Update:
I should take back that the guitar solo section was not atonal. On second listen you’re doing all sorts of cool semi chromatic runs and other outside notes, but next to the main theme is seems more “normal”.😉
Hi GuitGuy,

Glad you like it!
I totally agree that the solo section sounds more "normal" in a diatonic sense.

Cheers,

Mats N

Back
Top Bottom