Atomica thump and edge?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Does anybody know exactly what thump and edge does on the real Atomica amp? Is the thump just a simple depth control, and the edge is a bright cap?

Cool. Which is the other bright cap value than the one already in the amp model?
There's no "other" value. Cliff was saying that engaging the Bright switch on the Axe-FX is the same as engaging the Edge switch on the Atomica.

There's no "other" value. Cliff was saying that engaging the Bright switch on the Axe-FX is the same as engaging the Edge switch on the Atomica.
I just did a little homework and learned that the Atomica's Edge switch has three positions. So take what I wrote above with a grain of salt. :)

I'm afraid that's not correct. The Edge switch is a 3 position switch, which means on is brigth off, and the other 2 are 2 different bright caps. Kinda like the pre EQ on a Bogner Ecstasy.

as you increase the bright cap value in the settings it will increase gain. i'm sure the switch is just a different value.

While we are on the subject... Where was the rear gain stage switch when the model was done?

The switch on the back of the amp that adds "gain" is just a 3 way toggle switch containing clipping diodes of different values. Center position is off, one position is usually clips at a higher level, the other position at a lower level. Both use different types of clipping diodes and have slightly different character. If you want to emulate this in the Atomica model, turn on the Saturation in the advanced parameters.

Cool. Which is the other bright cap value than the one already in the amp model?

I just did a little homework and learned that the Atomica's Edge switch has three positions. So take what I wrote above with a grain of salt. :)

I'm afraid that's not correct. The Edge switch is a 3 position switch, which means on is brigth off, and the other 2 are 2 different bright caps. Kinda like the pre EQ on a Bogner Ecstasy.

as you increase the bright cap value in the settings it will increase gain. i'm sure the switch is just a different value.

If this is like Mark Cameron's other amps, the center position is no bright cap, one position is 470p, the other is 4.7n. However, I have never been inside an Atomica, so these values are only speculation. This can be emulated by changing the bright cap values in advanced parameters page.

I'm guessing the value we don't know is 470pf. The value of the bright cap in the Axe is 1000pf (standard Marshall value), and I don't think the other one would be even higher than that.

This has quickly become my favorite amp in the axe

THIS! I am using this amp in an x/y config y having the fat enabled. Cleans up so well rolling off the volume. I am using this amp 90% of the night with my tele in the country band. Zen drive to push a little...great AMP!!!

I'm guessing the value we don't know is 470pf. The value of the bright cap in the Axe is 1000pf (standard Marshall value), and I don't think the other one would be even higher than that.

The bright cap values on every XTC that I have worked on were 470p and 4.7n. Cameron's should be similar. However, it is possible they are 2.2n. Keep in mind the original Plexi's had 5n for it's bright cap and this is just a modded Plexi.

The bright cap values on every XTC that I have worked on were 470p and 4.7n. Cameron's should be similar. However, it is possible they are 2.2n. Keep in mind the original Plexi's had 5n for it's bright cap and this is just a modded Plexi.

Bright cap values are dependent on what pot they use with bright cap. All the bright caps in the Axe are normalized to a 1 meg pot, so if the amp used a 500k pot with a 4700pf cap, that will mean that the real value of the cap will be 2350pf when normalized to the 1 meg pot (4700pf / 2 ). The cap Cliff choose for the Atomica is 1000pf, and it's really bright and twangy even without the bright cap. It would be unlikely that the other values is even higher than that. The XTC is a super super dark amp, hence the much higher values. I've never seen a modded Marshall with a cap as high as the original 5000pf found in the treble channel of plexis. That's pretty much always changed.

Back
Top Bottom