Atomic Wedge on Cab ??

wolferich

I am considerin buying an Atomic cab and wedge. I want to use it live with my Axe FX for acoustic and electric guitar. I wonder wether you place a wedge on top of a Atomic cabinat or if this doesn't go well.

I want to have the flexibility to use my system in a stereo setup and, especially on small stages, to put the wedge on top of the cab.

So, two speakers for stereo operation, and in some venues, an up/down stereo pair. In the stereo pair scenario (the stacked speakers), you'd have the stereo split vertically, with almost zero separation. Do I understand that right? If you got either two wedges or two cabs, you'd still be able to stack them when you want to. Or am I missing your point?

You've got it correctly.

Stacking two cabs would be OK for these purposes. Nevertheless I think, that with a wedge on top of a cab the sound on stage could give a better direct sound to me if the distance to the cab/wedge is small (the to well known "loud sound in the knees" szenario).

Anyhow, I don't understand how can I stack two wedges? That seems to be very unstable, or do I miss something here?

When a wedge is placed on its angled side, it will point at your head when it's located on the floor nearby. If it's raised off the floor because it's sitting on another cab, it will point at a place in the air above your head, unless you're close to it — could be painful. :eek:

As for stacking wedges, I was thinking you could stack them vertically, which I've done with my Electro-Voice wedges. Looking at the Atomic product literature, it seems they might not be configured for that.

Stereo is left and right, not top and bottom. You need a gap between the speakers for the effect to be noticeable.

It kinda sounds like you're trying to achieve a full stack with Atomic FRs. While the angle of the wedge is not the same as a slant cab, I suppose the closest thing to this would be 3 stacked Atomic FR cabs and 1 Atomic FR wedge.

To achieve a stereo full stack, you'd need to duplicate the above mentioned (6 cabs, 2 wedges).

You may find happiness with 4 Atomic FRs, where 2 are cabs and 2 are wedges (floor monitors). Place the 2 wedges on the floor in front of you (left and right) and place the cabs behind you (left and right).

Stacking Reactor Wedge on Cab

It works great. I 've actually done this. The front top corner screws of the cab fit EXACTLY inside the dimples in the rubber feet of the wedge, preventing unwanted slipping.

Here are some pics.

stack1.jpg

stack2.jpg

I have heard about the left and right story before and i am to weak to carry more then two cabs or wedges. :)

I want to play stereo whenever the situation allows but go back to the stacked version, obviously loosing almost all of the stereo effect, if necessary.

By the way, listening to this, it's obviously not what you'd get from speakers on opposite sides but there is definite space in a chorus or pingpong when compared to true mono! Also, the question raised about "head beaming" is easily solved by moving closer or farther by 1-2 feet.

Yes, definitely thanks for the tips and well crafted messages.

People have suggested many other solutions such as FBT Verves and QSCs, only to come forth saying the feeling isn't there. No one's heard it all, but I've heard a lot and I'm gonna stick with what I got.

Last edited:
Thanks to Matman. Your photo answers all my questions, except one.

Would it also be possible to turn the wedge so that the stack looks like a traditional one consisting of two cabs? That would give even more flexibility in using a cab/wedge combination.

This actually is NOT the worst idea that I've ever heard. In fact, I've thought about trying it, myself.

Yes - it's true that stacking them won't give you the most stereo separation that you could ever get. BUT - you still do have separation of the signals and definitely avoid phasing. Plus, you always have the option of separating them from each other and putting one on the left and one on the right. Either way, you have sound quality, lots of available stage volume, and can still run stereo patches without phasing and everything gets heard.

...Plus, it looks cooler than pretty much everything else. One of the things that I like most about the Atomic cabs & wedges vs. your typical FRFR powered monitor/wedge is the fact that they look more like a guitar amp. Your backline looks better. It doesn't look as strange to your typical person in a live audience who hasn't become familiar with FRFR guitar. Usually, you have a QSC or something on the floor and it looks (to your average person) like you've got part of your PA laying around next to you and you have no guitar amp. So, from aesthetic and "having options" standpoints, I like this idea. I'd love to know more about how it works for you at a live performance.

Last edited:
It doesn't look as strange to your typical person in a live audience who hasn't become familiar with FRFR guitar. Usually, you have a QSC or something on the floor and it looks (to your average person) like you've got part of your PA laying around next to you and you have no guitar amp.

No offense to all of us guitar snobs on the forum(myself towards the top of the list), but the average person in an audience doesn't give a shit what your amp or anything on stage looks like. (As long as the lighting is cool, and the bass drum has a custom head on it with the band name, and the mic stand has a long bandana on it) They are just there to have some fun and listen to some hopefully good music and appreciate good sound quality.

Now me personally, i examine pedal boards, amps, check settings from in front of stage, But that being said, I'd also be way intrigued by an "amp less" stage set-up and probably want to ask a lot of questions.

No offense to all of us guitar snobs on the forum(myself towards the top of the list), but the average person in an audience doesn't give a shit what your amp or anything on stage looks like. (As long as the lighting is cool, and the bass drum has a custom head on it with the band name, and the mic stand has a long bandana on it) They are just there to have some fun and listen to some hopefully good music and appreciate good sound quality.

Now me personally, i examine pedal boards, amps, check settings from in front of stage, But that being said, I'd also be way intrigued by an "amp less" stage set-up and probably want to ask a lot of questions.

I never said that it was my #1 concern. It's an additional perk to the Atomic stuff. Obviously, your average chick around dancing drunk doesn't know or care what gear you have. I just think that having a cooler looking backline is better (whether or not your average non-guitarist consciously notices it). Again, while it's not the most important thing, I will say that I'd bet that most people who regularly watch rock bands play do know that when they watch bands, there's usually some kind of traditional looking guitar amp behind or near them. When I first began playing with my Ultra live, I felt that it looked "weird" with no real amp anywhere. I soon got over it. The tone and flexibility for me were the most important things. But, if you can have the tone, the FRFR flexibility, AND have your FRFR monitoring look like some kind of cool guitar amp, ...why not?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom