atomic vs. matrix gt800 vs. tube power amps...?

rudomat

Inspired
hi!
did anyone compare the axe fx running into an atomic wedge or into a matrix gt800 and a real guitar cab...? and are both of these options sounding better then running the axe into a real tube power amp, like a vht 2:90 or sthg. like that (incl. real guitar cab)...?
thanks for your comments!

hi!
did anyone compare the axe fx running into an atomic wedge or into a matrix gt800 and a real guitar cab...? and are both of these options sounding better then running the axe into a real tube power amp, like a vht 2:90 or sthg. like that (incl. real guitar cab)...?
thanks for your comments!

I'll give a quick 2 cents....
Using an Axe 2, I recently had a Matrix....ran it into FRFR, and into a Guitar Cab.
Matrix is an excellent solid state option. Sounded absolutely killer into FRFR and great into a Guitar Cab.
But....when I compared the Matrix to my Marshall 100/100 (both into a Guitar Cab)....the Marshall won (and that's with running the Marshall with no amp sims, Matrix with amp sims)
If I was taking a power amp on the road....it would be the Matrix all day long.
But since I was going to use it for home use....I just stuck with my Marshall.

Depends on taste lol. i tried the Marshall, and thought it was very fizzy. Next to a VHT or Mesa it sounded like a toy. i went for the VHT. A year later I swopped the VHT for a Matrix. The VHT had more squishyness and was thicker sounding. The Matrix had better string definition and was tighter. The weight was the deciding factor.

I did nearly the same thing as paulmapp. Used a VHT 2/90/2 until I tried the Matrix.
The deciding factor for me was, running them side by side in the same room, I could
tweak the Axe EQ's such that I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I'm another Matrix convert from the 2/90/2. Both are excellent amps. I went with the Matrix because of weight, price, ultimate ease of upkeep, and versatility (it can be used with either a guitar cab or FRFR speakers, whereas this wouldn't make sense with the 2/90/2, at least in my eyes).

The VHT had more squishyness and was thicker sounding.
This was my same opinion on the Marshall (vs. the Matrix).

If weight was a factor, yes...Matrix would have been my choice.
That Marshall I have is an absolute brick, and the worst amp to travel with if everything is not on wheels.

Another note...the Marshalls with EL's (instead of 6L6's) are definitely fizzy. I've got the 6L6's...which are a little less fizzy. But of course, opinions will always vary. Haven't had a chance to try a VHT or Mesa with the Axe (yet...lol).

Great Review from YEk here: Thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/39006-atomic-50-50-vs-matrix-gt800fx-6.html#post547927

I own the Matrix GT800FX. Today I also received the Atomic Reactor 50/50 for a trial period.

I connected one channel of both amps, set the output to Copy L>R, and played for about a hour. I'm using an Axe-Fx II, and two 1x12 cabs with an EVM 12L in each. Here are my early conclusions.

SIZE and WEIGHT
The Atomic is larger (2U vs. 1U) and much heavier. I have no problems with it (combined with the Axe-Fx II in a 4U case), but if weight is an issue, the Matrix's clearly is the better choice.

NOISE
With both channels at maximum volume the Matrix generates some hiss. The Atomic does too although less so.
The fans in the Atomic are much more quiet than the Matrix, you can hardly hear them.

MAINTENANCE
You can't go wrong with the Matrix. As a solid state amp it needs no maintenance.
As where the Atomic will need tubes replaced in time (the front panel bias point is very handy though), which will cost you money. Also, it needs to warm up each time you switch it on and there always the risk of switching it on without a load resulting in damage.

LOUDNESS
The Matrix is a loud amp. I don't think I'll run out of headroom soon when using both channels and 2 12" speakers.
That being said, the Atomic is louder, really much louder. I maxed the level on both and used the Axe's output pot for volume control. I had to turn down the Axe's volume each time I switched from the Matrix to the Atomic in order to prevent ruining my ears.
The Atomic generates (non-controlled) feedback earlier than the Matrix, probably because of its overall Presence (see below). Luckily not nearly as bad as my Reactor powered cabs did when using single-coils....

CONFIGURATION
The Matrix has mono (parallel), stereo and bridged modes.
The Atomic has two separate channels, which cannot be bridged, but you can use them simultaneously of course.
With the Axe-Fx these differences don't really make a difference.
The Atomic also has 4 speaker outputs (Matrix: 2) and other handy stuff: ground lift switches, impedance switches, and Throughs for the inputs.

PRICE
Here in Europe the Matrix is substantially cheaper than the Atomic.

TONE
Well, finally: tone.
First, I've enjoyed the Matrix a lot since getting it. The switch from FR to power amp+guitar cabs (loaded with EVM 12Ls) restored punch and simplicity in my setup. There's no urgent reason for me to change that. And the Matrix gets raving reviews from a lot of other players too. I will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking an affordable, very portable solution.
Compared one on one, I like the Atomic's tone even better. Where the Matrix is quite flat, I feel that notes jump out of the Atomic more, it's 3D, it has dynamics. The Matrix is a bit gritty (can't think of a better word), while the notes from the Atomic are more round and natural.
There's also quite a big difference in the Presence / mid-highs area. The Atomic is more clear and transparant, has much more top end. Note that I kept its Presence control fully CCW all the time (which is "flat" acc. to the manual). And this (top end) makes a difference. For example I have an Uberschall preset that sounds a bit "hollow" through the Matrix and needs additional eq-ing to cut. It immediately sounded better and clearer through the Atomic, without eq-ing. The Atomic adds body (not bass) to the tone.
OTOH, the low end on the Matrix seems tighter. I think that presets need to be set up properly to prevent bass notes from getting flubby through the Atomic.

That's it for now. IMHO both amps are great and winners. It just depends on your needs, requirements and budget.

I may add stuff to this review, or edit it for improvements/clarifications, if I discover new stuff. I won't do recordings or videos.

Matrix is € 550 and bridgeable. Atomic is € 1000 and not bridgeable.
Tubes come from the axe-fx. How difficult can it be. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom