Atomic Reactor Passive Wedges -- Not What I Expected

Justmc said:
Hello Tom,

I really don't want to come off as bashing this product. :oops: I am really new to this FRFR venture. I will be experimenting over the weekend some more.

As been stated, I know these are very popular items and I'm sure I don't have something set right. I was just taken back how dramatic a difference there can be with this type of system/ speaker combination. I am very impressed with the options/ sounds that are available with a FRFR setup. I expressed concern on the forum once before when I was not happy with the sound I was getting with a guitar cabinet and was told that FRFR was the way to go.And they were right . Obviously I still have a lot to learn and experience with this newer technology.
No problem. If you'd like some help or advice feel free to contact support@atomicamps.com and either I or one of our guys would be happy to do our best to get you where you want to go.

-TK

Tom King said:
Justmc said:
Hello Tom,

I really don't want to come off as bashing this product. :oops: I am really new to this FRFR venture. I will be experimenting over the weekend some more.

As been stated, I know these are very popular items and I'm sure I don't have something set right. I was just taken back how dramatic a difference there can be with this type of system/ speaker combination. I am very impressed with the options/ sounds that are available with a FRFR setup. I expressed concern on the forum once before when I was not happy with the sound I was getting with a guitar cabinet and was told that FRFR was the way to go.And they were right . Obviously I still have a lot to learn and experience with this newer technology.
No problem. If you'd like some help or advice feel free to contact support@atomicamps.com and either I or one of our guys would be happy to do our best to get you where you want to go.

-TK

Now that is customer service at its best!! :D

Justmc said:
I don't want to bash the product , but I bought 2 and will be sending them back . Should have bought one but I was on waiting list for a while and did not want to get shut out again. Now I'll have to pay for shipping for 2 . :(

I've been using EV SX300's for a while and thought that I would like the Reactor series since it is from the same company as the Axefx which is outstanding.

I know that a lot is subjective when it comes to sound but I find my EV's to really surpass the Reactors.
At least to my ears. I know they are more expensive also , which is a factor i have to consider.

I also like the ruggedness of the EV's . I'm not sure how I appreciate the tweeter control knob on the side of the reactors ,it protrudes past the body . To me it's an accident waiting to happen especially if someone else loads my gear.

I really wanted to like them and I'm sure I could re-do my patches to make them work better to my taste .
Just letting my gut instinct guide me . Would like some feedback from others that might change my mind.
you got your ev's loaded into what cab? company and model?

If I were in your position I'd start with the EV's, take a blank patch put in an amp block and a cab block, nothing else, and tweak it until it was as good as I could get it then build another patch from blank with the Fratomics using the same choice of amp and cab block...tweak until it gets as good as it gets. Then I'd rest my ears for a bit and listen again.

Then if the choice isn't already clear I'd switch to the EV patch with the Fratomics hooked up and vice versa to see where they differ and try to understand the character of each cab to get a feel fro which one might be better for me. Then do it all again with a clean patch for each...a crunch patch for each...etc.

You can't get an objective opinion if you are trying to start with a patch that is EV specific... it's like trying to run a race with the two runners starting at different places on the track. And remember a difference in actual volume can be huge in making one speaker sound better than the other so just because the knobs are at the same setting doesn't mean the two cabs are producing the same volume so work hard to compare them at the same actual volume.

Back
Top Bottom