Atomic ? - Oh Crap

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
After saving the money from the sale of my VHT for 5 months now, the Atomic is VERY close.

BUT - Yesterday our cooker blew up :( . The heating element in the main fan oven tripped all the breakers in the kitchen. When they were reset the Lower oven no longer works.

Well the replacement is going to cost £590 !!!!. I either put it on our only store card (we have no credit cards) with costs 2% interest PER MONTH (24% annually) and t will take 6-8 months to pay off - OR I use my Atomic money :cry: (That will cost £720 at todays exchange rate).

:cry: No prizes for guessing what the wife wants to do !! but if I dont get the atomic with what I have I cant see me having the funds for a LONG time (a year or 2 probably).

AAAAAAAHH

I totally agree with quonsar...

How much would it be just to repair the thing as apposed to replacing it?

Who Knows? minimum £70 call out for the engineer, plus parts and labour. Im guessing £200 or so, maybe more (it needs a new heating element at least). The cooker is 7 years old, has a couple of chips in the ceramic hob, and some of the door seals are getting a bit iffy.

As we dont have £200 spare - that would still put the block on the Atomic. AND given the state of the broken oven the missis wants a new one anyway.

Depends how many units G66 have sold maybe. I have one reserved, BUT, could wait for some reviews and still get one 2-3 weeks after thoses reviews if they are positive (and G66 have enough) - or maybe decline the first one and ask for one from the second shipment? I could take my atomic and use the 14 day trial period etc. I could put the oven on the store card for now which gives me a month before the 1st payment/interest on that ammount. If I end up not getting or sending back the atomic I could pay off ALL the oven then. If I keep the Atomic Ill just have to pony up for the interest. That could be another £150 on top for the oven.

I could always pretend the Atomic was going to cost £870 not £720 !!! i wont feel so bad that way :?

anyway my head is going round in circles trying to decide the best way forward.

I think the oven is going on the card for now - at least I have 4 weeks to make my mind up without any interest charges while still getting a new oven. Just have to decide what to do in the end.

You might be able to fry an egg on those Fratomic tubes...! ;)

Of course, you should have said you only got £50 for the VHT and then stashed the rest!

Yeah I know, women see straight through this, but you gotta try and get one over them once in a while. Why, my Ultra only cost £200...! :D

Got mine a nearly new gas/combi cooker on e-bay. list was £650, auction price? £100. pick-up cost £20 in fuel and it is like new! that has to be the way to go, gear rules. :lol:

I did sell a Laney combo when I bought my VHT head and cab - I told the wife it was cheaper because it came in 2 parts not one so got cash as well. I actually got away with that one.

Wont get away with this though.

She did say "its your money - well just put the oven on the card" so I CAN still get the Atomic. I do however have a concious, especially with money in a tight economic climate with a wife and 2 kids to look after. I just think that the extra monthly payments on the oven will make monthly finances tight for 6 months or so with nowhere to go if something else unexpected crops up.

Still - If I get the Atomic and like it, I can sell my VHT cab. That should fetch £200-£300. If I dont get on with it, it cfan go back and I canpay the oven off. I may keep my Art SLA though. It can stay in the rack and be used as a backup amp if the Atomics Power side goes down (being valve).

Heh - I hear ya. Single income + two young kids = not as many toys for daddy :)
I just put my nice modded Blues Junior up for sale yesterday to help offset the cost of a Reactor or Verve (haven't decided, but obviously need something!). I mentioned the for sale amount to my wife without immediately adding that I'd need to replace it with something else promptly...mistake.

Back
Top Bottom