Atomic FRFR Cabs and Mosvalve 500 questions??

boleary2

Inspired
I was thinking of buying a matrix to power my atomic passives, but I just cant swing it. Purchased
a Mosvalve 942 500 watt amp and am going to use it to power, mainly be dialing in patches
on my studio monitors, but might use this live some when ears not available. Wondering if I should run
with power amp sims off or on? Also wondering if I should do any global EQ adjustment for the Atomics?

Please only comment if you have had experience with either piece...I would prefer to benefit from firsthand
info and not hyperbolic postulation (not even sure if that is a real term! :)

I have a Mosvalve 500 and usually run the poweramp sims on just because I like the extra kick the poweramp sims add. If you run the sims on make sure to turn the presence way down to almost off on the Mosvalve otherwise it will be way too much. It's designed to sound more tube like and not flat. It does add some compression to your sound but I only run it into a 4x12 and it sounds amazing. I bought a matrix 1000 and actually still like the Mosvalve better and it has tons and tons of volume. I bought it 20 years ago because Jerry Cantrell was using them to power his Bogner Fish preamps and running four 4x12's with it and his sound was awesome.

If you run it with the presence way down like I said with the sims on it is pretty flat and seems to just have some compression. The presence works great when you run the sims off because you can dial in some tube sparkle. I've been running mine with the presence on about 9:00. It adds just a small amount there and if I have the sims off I will usually go to about 2:00. At 2:00 if you turn the sims on you will have WAY to much. The amp has tons of volume and I think it may be louder than the Matrix. I ended up getting the matrix because the Mosvalve is 28lbs and wanted something lighter but it is an awesome poweramp. I bought mine new about 20 years ago and still never had a single problem with it.

It was hard to pass up at 245 shipped. I knew it had plenty of power from reading about it. just wondered how it was voiced and I think you helped me answer
what I was looking for! I am wondering how it would compare to one of the Retro amps Lance Keltner is doing...that one intrigued me more than the Matrix, but it
is pretty pricey. Also love the idea of the Fryette...but for the price of the Mosvalve I had to give it a try. I am wondering if I'll experience a more pronounced effect
since I am running through FRFR cabs instead of guitar cabs. I'll try the suggested settings and see where I get.

I appreciate the feedback
very much!
Bruce

I actually heard the Fryette is going to be $1400. That is way to much if that is the price. The Mosvalve is great and you got a good price. I've seen them go for $150 before on eBay. The 500's are way harder to come by and are beasts. If you don't mind the 28lbs you are good to go. I think as long as you keep the presence down you are good with FRFR. Like I said I think it sounds a little better than the matrix but that is my 4x12 setup.

Back
Top Bottom