Atomic CLR - WHOA!

chumbucket

Inspired
I had no idea that these sounded as good as they do. I'm so sorry that I waited this long to get some. Got them into my studio and it was like a completely new experience with the Axe III. My JBL LSR 308's w/ sub just sound boxy and small in comparison.

However, the real magic happened when I combined both sets of monitors and tweaked the levels to taste. The JBLs add in a little high end missing from the CLRs. This IS the amp-in-the-room feel. For my personal playing style, I get off on having some volume pushing air and this is the most satisfied that I've been with the Axe III since I got it. If you're on the fence about a CLR, check them out and you've got nothing to lose with the trial period that Atomic allows for.

Last edited:
I got a pair of CLRs in today too. They sound great but they have a lot of hiss. I was hoping to use them as near field monitors like some here have talked about, but the hiss is pretty loud, even with the master volume very low. I imagine they will still be great for live guitar tones.

I got a pair of CLRs in today too. They sound great but they have a lot of hiss. I was hoping to use them as near field monitors like some here have talked about, but the hiss is pretty loud, even with the master volume very low. I imagine they will still be great for live guitar tones.

I didn't hear that they were noisy at all. No more than my JBLs were hissing but they were both cranked up loud. Do you have a gate set on your patch? Makes a big difference IMO.

You can drastically limit any hiss by setting up the gain staging described in the manual. The quick version is to hit the CLRs with the hottest signals they're going to see then turn up the channel volume until it clips. Then, slightly back off the channel volume so the clipping indicator not longer lights up. This is the way the system was designed be used. From then on only use the master volume to adjust your levels. Hope this helps.

What's your signal chain look like? Let's hear what your path is like. Could be a gain staging issue.

*edit - I didn't see Tom's response while I was typing

Last edited:
I had no idea that these sounded as good as they do. I'm so sorry that I waited this long to get some. Got them into my studio and it was like a completely new experience with the Axe III. My JBL 308's w/ sub just sound boxy and small in comparison.

However, the real magic happened when I combined both sets of monitors and tweaked the levels to taste. The JBLs add in a little high end missing from the CLRs. This IS the amp-in-the-room feel. For my personal playing style, I get off on having some volume pushing air and this is the most satisfied that I've been with the Axe III since I got it. If you're on the fence about a CLR, check them out and you've got nothing to lose with the trial period that Atomic allows for.
Glad you're digging them! Thanks for posting your experience. 👍

You can drastically limit any hiss by setting up the gain staging described in the manual. The quick version is to hit the CLRs with the hottest signals they're going to see then turn up the channel volume until it clips. Then, slightly back off the channel volume so the clipping indicator not longer lights up. This is the way the system was designed be used. From then on only use the master volume to adjust your levels. Hope this helps.

Hi Tom. Thanks for chiming in. The hiss is independent of the signal chain. I even removed the input cable to one CLR, still had hiss. So I know it’s not my audio interface or AxeFx setup. I’ve tried a bunch of different settings on the input volume.

It’s not a dealbreaker for me. I plan on keeping the CLRs for use with the AxeFx, but the hiss is too loud and distracting for me to use them as near field monitors. I’ve been using Equator D8s as near fields and they are dead silent, so I’ll keep using them.

My 2 CLRs have the same hiss that's independent of level...
Hard to use them as studio monitors but meaningless for "normal" use.

My thoughts exactly. I do want to emphasize that the CLRs are absolutely stellar for use as an FRFR with the AxeFx. I’m definitely keeping them.

I had no idea that these sounded as good as they do. I'm so sorry that I waited this long to get some. Got them into my studio and it was like a completely new experience with the Axe III. My JBL LSR 308's w/ sub just sound boxy and small in comparison.

Yes, they make the axe 3 complete IMO...

I have a pair of CLR's and love them. When I found out they were shipping again. I got on the list and have two more coming next week. My wife isn't going to be happy. Can't wait to hear four of these together! I'll gig only two of them and it will be the new ones since I have the original model that are heavier and will use the light Neos for playing out.

Hi Tom. Thanks for chiming in. The hiss is independent of the signal chain. I even removed the input cable to one CLR, still had hiss. So I know it’s not my audio interface or AxeFx setup. I’ve tried a bunch of different settings on the input volume.
I understand what you're saying but just to be clear, the level of the hiss changes with the level of the master volume control. This, as you correctly mention is independent of whether something is plugged in or not. When the channel volume is set as high as it can be without clipping and the master is set low the hiss is reduced dramatically. We've never marketed CLRs as near field monitors but we do get comments from producers and other customer saying they sound like high end reference monitors and based on the way they are designed, it makes sense.

Last edited:
I understand what you saying but just to be clear, the level of the hiss changes with the level of the master volume control. This, as you correctly mention is indepenent of where something is plugged in or not. When the channel volume is set as high as it can be without clipping and the master is set low the hiss is reduced dramatically. We've never marketed CLRs as near field monitors but we do get comments from producers and other customer saying they sound like high end reference monitors and based on the way they are designed, it makes sense.
I have recently set my pair of CLRs as nearfield monitors on top of my studio desk and am amazed how great everything sounds...my signal chain is Axe-FX III -> Presonus 16R Rack -> CLRs. Everything I've run into the 16R (including Macbook) sounds wonderful!

The hiss seems quieter and the weight seems significantly decreased . I think it’s a 9-10 lb difference from 2013 mk 1?

tom I’m sure you’ve said it before but searches yield much conflicting info, so pardon if you’ve answered,
what exactly is the difference between the old mk 1 and the newest mk2?

The hiss seems quieter and the weight seems significantly decreased . I think it’s a 9-10 lb difference from 2013 mk 1?

tom I’m sure you’ve said it before but searches yield much conflicting info, so pardon if you’ve answered,
what exactly is the difference between the old mk 1 and the newest mk2?

Here is Tom‘s most recent explanation which is nicely detailed (note this was back when the CLR was not available):

Here are the differences and similarities between the original CLR NEO currently on sale for $899 and the currently unavailable (for the next few weeks) MKII NEO:

1) The MKII uses a slightly different component in part of the power amp (from the same manufacturer) that is rated for less power, and as a result generates a little less heat. The equivalent part in the original CLR NEO performs the same function and runs a little warmer.

2) In the process of redesigning to use the new part, we also updated the power management/speaker protection in the firmware which led to a max continuous SPL increase of about 2dB. This new firmware has been installed in original NEO CLR we have in stock. So really this is not a difference in these units available from the flash sale.

3) The original NEO CLR in the flash sale is selling for $899. The new MKII's will be available for a finite amount of time at the current price of $999 to people who are on the list as a courtesy for their long wait. It will then be raised to a higher price, YTBD, to accommodate the new taxes and tariffs they are subject to.

4) More importantly, what is the same: Same exact sound, max SPL, directivity, weight, driver (woofer & tweeter) compliment, cabinet, firmware, hardware and power amp minus the small change detailed in point 1. The performance of the system is the same. Any differences are within the very small window tolerated in any speaker system in the CLR family).

Back
Top Bottom