Atomic CLR Wedge - latent hissing noise?

CyberFerret

Power User
Hey all,

I have just rearranged my home studio so my Atomic CLR wedge is now sitting on its side on an old TV cabinet directly behind my desk, at about head height when I am sitting at my desk. (Rear switch set to 'B' which I believe is required for this config).

Because it is now aimed literally at my ears, I've noticed that whenever the cab is turned on, there is a continual hissing sound. Even when the volume is set at around 50% on the cab, with NOTHING plugged into it.

Is this normal?

I believe so. My recollection was that since the CLR can get so loud, the noise floor went up commensurately.

Are you plug in output 1? if so try that ground lift switch on the back of the fractal.

It's doing it even with the Axe-FX totally unplugged from the cab...

I've done some more playing around here, and noticed that the master volume out on the cab was set at about 90%. I've since turned that down to about 50% which has helped reduce the hissing quite a lot. Just means I need to crank up the Axe-FX output more to compensate... :)

Actually, I never even NOTICED that there was a Master OUT knob on there. I've always been twiddling with the other 2 level knobs on the back right next to the XLR connectors when plugging the cab in at gigs etc. I just realised that those are INPUT level controls, so obviously wouldn't have any effect on the output noise floor levels.

I think we can chalk this one up to an 1D-10-T or PEBKAC error on my part... :D

I've been playing with (3) three CLRs hissing at me.
Adjusting the input levels & master levels help, but there is still noise to deal with.

Not a quiet speaker.

No hissing here. I have the input at 75% and the output at 50%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

No florescent lights in the house.
All three CLR's plugged into separate power outlets via shielded extension power cords.

Nothing plugged in, just power - input at 50%, master at 50% - light hiss
XLR cable plugged into Mackie Pro8, into CLR input at 50%, master at 50% - hiss. (Using two CLR's FF on stands, one CLR tilt on floor)

Mind you, we are using this equipment in a mediation workshop, so it's quiet in the room. Hiss is audible from the speakers.

Perhaps the CLRs are better for louder applications where hiss isn't bothersome or distracting.

I'll continue to mess with the configuration and report back if I'm able to reduce hiss.

Btw, these CLR's are from the recent batch coming from Atomic. Shipment arrived to me this week.

Last edited:
All three CLR's plugged into separate power outlets via shielded extension power cords.

XLR cable plugged into Mackie Pro8, into CLR input at 50%, master at 50% - hiss. (Using two CLR's FF on stands, one CLR tilt on floor)

Mind you, we are using this equipment in a mediation workshop, so it's quiet in the room. Hiss is audible from the speakers.

Perhaps the CLRs are better for louder applications where hiss isn't bothersome or distracting.

I'll continue to mess with the configuration and report back if I'm able to reduce hiss.

Btw, these CLR's are from the recent batch coming from Atomic. Shipment arrived to me this week.

Something is amiss then, I have mine on right now not 3 feet from me in my treated room (which is silent) and it's silent.

Something is amiss here. Sounds like hiss over here.

Sending an email to Tom.

CyberFerret, I'm hoping you'll forgive me for hijacking your thread. Was not my intention.
Seems my experience is relevant to your OP.

I will go back and check mine. I have a CLR Active Wedge that arrived this week (so, should be same batch as yours). I also have an Active Cab that I got back in March. I just played for a couple of hours through both and don't recall hearing anything out of the ordinary. I DID notice that the wedge sounds just a hair more defined/fuller than the cab. I always thought the cab had a bit more mid (honky) type sound to it -- just something I need to EQ (that's another thread).

**** UPDATE ****
Solved.
Just got off the phone with Tom.
He helped me to run some different configurations and tested routing.
We also discussed proper gain staging (a la whats in the manual)
Turns out that the Mackie Pro8 mixer I am using is adding a significant amount of hiss.

At least now I am confident that the CLRs are not defective.

Thanks for the call Tom.
Really appreciate your time & talents

Correct.
Properly gain staged CLR's connected direct to the AxeFx was pretty quiet.
Hiss was present only when I connected to mackie pro8 mixer.
Then it was like snake party.

Btw, today was a big day for my wife & I.
We served 2 separate ministries with meditation services - morning & evening.
three (3) CLR's worked great as mini PA - two CLR's as mains on frankenstands & one as monitor.
Crystal clear tones. We received compliments on the content & the sound.

Happy customer.
- B. Tooth

His wasn't loud. If you read his update a few posts above, none of his 3 CLRs were responsible for creating the level hiss he was experiencing.

-TK

.....I DID notice that the wedge sounds just a hair more defined/fuller than the cab. I always thought the cab had a bit more mid (honky) type sound to it -- just something I need to EQ (that's another thread).

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought this was an interesting comment for folks trying chose the cab or wedge.

When you heard this, were the speakers in the same location, and had the position switch (BL/Tilt/FF) in the same place?

BBN - the speakers were side by side on cheap carpet sitting on a concrete floor. Both are set to "Tilt" via the 3-way switch. The cab is on a short stand, 6-9 inches off of the ground, and that has the cabinet tilted at about 35 degrees. So, it is close to, but not on the floor (i.e. it's not elevated on a pole or high stand). The wedge was on the floor. Everything I have read states that the two should sound identical.

I have tried the "FF" setting on the cab, but either didn't notice a difference, or did not like the resulting sound. I did not change the setting on the wedge since it sounds great with the switch at "tilt".

Like I said, I always thought the cab had just a touch of a "honky" (mids) sound to it. It is more noticeable on a semi-hollow body (Deusenberg) that I play, so I thought it was mostly due to the guitar. However, like I said, IMHO, when I finally got a chance to play them side-by-side, I thought the wedge sounded a small bit fuller/tighter/more defined.

Doesn't it stand to reason that the wedge sitting directly on the floor is going to sound a bit richer/fuller than a cab that is close to, but not on, the floor?

Back
Top Bottom