Atomic CLR Wedge FRFR

Countryside

Greetings all,

I wanted to post this to give my experience with an often talked about FRFR, the Atomic CLR Wedge Neo. I have been a Fractal Axe FX XL user for several years; using it for live band situations. I've often found I just could not get the same sound as a real amp. I play country and could never get my Fractal unit to sound even in the same ballpark as my Matchless amp. I've played through several medium and high priced 'FRFR' monitors from JBL, Mackie, and EV. I just never got the same response, clarity, definition and 'air movement'. I've never used it for recording purposes; this is just referring to use as a backline rig. Those using a Fractal for higher gain may not have experienced this problem; I need to hear the definition of 7th chords.

I tried not to get discouraged because I certainly love the Fractal unit and believe modelers are the future of guitar. Especially for the traveling, working musician.

Recently I bought the Atomic CLR Wedge Neo. My first impression was shock at how light it was. I've been lugging around heavy powered monitors for a few years, which kind of defeats the purpose of Fractal in and of itself. I might as well lug my amp and pedal board around. The wedge actually has a little smaller footprint than most powered monitors as well.

So, I powered everything up for the first time, strummed the first chord and there it was! Wow! I don't know what magic was used or who sold their soul to the devil for the Atomic Wedge, but thank you. All of my presets came to life. I always had good tone with them, but they just never were 'alive'. Another impressive aspect of the wedge is the field of sound is much more broad than a typical stage monitor.

Fractal Axe FX and the Atomic CLR Wedge are a winning combination; thanks to both teams! I wanted to share this because I'm sure someone out there has been struggling with the same issues. There are lots of video demo's on YouTube for these two but they don't do the wedge justice. If you're on the fence, the Atomic Wedge is a safe gamble.

Cheers all thanks for taking the time to read my post!

I've got two CLRs I run in stereo and I love them to death.

If you know how to dial in your Axe-Fx with the proper cab IRs and EQ, they're easily as fun and satisfying as a cab in the room. They don't sound exactly the same as a cab, but they easily sound every bit as big and dynamic.

Went stereo with the new Neo, adding it to a non Neo CLR set-up. Couldn't pass up the new pricing or the lure of stereo!
The Axe FXII and CLR are such a vetted combination, that I don't feel that they are in any way a limit to achieving a particular sound. It's nice to be able to focus on your tone shaping and playing ability, rather than constantly switching gear (other than new guitars!).

So, I powered everything up for the first time, strummed the first chord and there it was! Wow! I don't know what magic was used or who sold their soul to the devil for the Atomic Wedge, but thank you. All of my presets came to life. I always had good tone with them, but they just never were 'alive'. Another impressive aspect of the wedge is the field of sound is much more broad than a typical stage monitor.

Fractal Axe FX and the Atomic CLR Wedge are a winning combination; thanks to both teams! I wanted to share this because I'm sure someone out there has been struggling with the same issues. There are lots of video demo's on YouTube for these two but they don't do the wedge justice. If you're on the fence, the Atomic Wedge is a safe gamble.

Chiming in to agree 100%.

Have heard most of the so-called FRFRs out there, plus shoot-outs, and IMHO the Atomic NEO-CLRs are the very best of the lot.

Great design, and they DISPERSE more widely on stage compared to most others; most of the others are narrow band "sweet spot" (you walk three or four feet left or right and you lose the sweet spot, but not so much with CLRs).

Even use a pair for my studio monitors with SP/DIF to a Console then out to them, and use that. They are super well balance (flat!) without hyping frequencies the way most cabs do, and I love listening to all my music through them.

Now have a third one, run an XLR out to that keeping it 12 feet away in my studio on the floor, and a I program sounds on my AX8 in mono on that one, for that"Gigs/Live/Amp in a room" approach (rather than guitar in stereo sitting in a mix thing).

I like the NEO version of the CLR better for some reason, not just because it's lighter, it just seems a tad little smoother in high frequencies to me. But that could be my mind messing' with me!

I can literally walk to a gig with two guitars on my back, and AX8 and pedal in a Studio Slips case in left hand/over shoulder, and a Neo CLR in a studio Slips case in right hand -- and not break my back. I used to have to cart stuff in and out.

I have found their support to be super responsive to any questions. Highly recommend them to anyone who asks me about what FRFRs to get. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for -- if you want as close to real FRFR as possible without spending $5000/speaker then they are the way to go/best value out there.

Thanks for posting this and helping to spread the word!

Went stereo with the new Neo, adding it to a non Neo CLR set-up. Couldn't pass up the new pricing or the lure of stereo!
The Axe FXII and CLR are such a vetted combination, that I don't feel that they are in any way a limit to achieving a particular sound. It's nice to be able to focus on your tone shaping and playing ability, rather than constantly switching gear (other than new guitars!).
That's what I found I was doing as well; constantly switching monitors. I'm so happy with the Atomics....

Back
Top Bottom