Atomic CLR setup driving me nuts!

It's probably not the CLRs. It's sound. Sound always depends on the room, spot etc. Happens with traditional guitar cabs too.

Setting up a CLR is simple. Choose the correct DSP setting (one out of 3), sub off, and make sure the signal doesn't clip (keep enough headroom).

There's an alternative way to use CLRs as a backline on the floor. Do NOT select the BL setting, but choose FF instead. Put the CLR down as a wedge monitor (so not on its side), not in front but behind you, and put stuff under its rear to reduce the angle (but keep it at 10 degrees or more).
Personally really prefer the BL position putting it in a classic amp position but on a case, not direct on the floor (so on its side) but WTH....tastes and colors...

Yeah, wasn't implying that one is better than the other, just that there are more possibilities.

I have been struggling to get my sound lately and thought perhaps it was just new updates for the Axe-FxIII. I have a pair of CLRs mkii neos running at practice and I decided to move them to another spot in the room and they sounded terrible, too much buzzy high end. I have an original set of CLRs on the other side for my other guitarist to use so I plugged into them and they sounded really good, tight and punchy. I thought it must be the room so I swapped out the CLRs and put the mkii set over on his side and they sounded muddy and not good so it's not the room so much I figured.
You just showed that it is the room. You moved your Neos to another part of the room, and they sounded different. More high end. Your original CLRs, in a different part of the room, had less high end. When you moved your Neos to that part of the room, they also had less high end. Room location seems to produce consistent results.

You just showed that it is the room. You moved your Neos to another part of the room, and they sounded different. More high end. Your original CLRs, in a different part of the room, had less high end. When you moved your Neos to that part of the room, they also had less high end. Room location seems to produce consistent results.
Yes, the areas in the room make a difference. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Neos don't sound like the older CLRs I have even in the exact position in the room and the exact settings.

Yes, the areas in the room make a difference. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Neos don't sound like the older CLRs I have even in the exact position in the room and the exact settings.
Hmm... are you sending the same EQ to each speaker?

Yes, it must just be the speakers themselves. Thanks
Strange. I always figured that they must sound very close to each other. But then, I've never actually compared them side by side.

Is Atomic still alive??
I own one passive, one MK1 and two Neo. My woofer on the mk1 suddenly died few weaks ago. I was writing to atomic support meanwhile already under different email adresses, but there is just absolute silence - no response at all.
I realy love those speakers and was even advertising the brand to a lot a musicians friends - but, sorry this behaviour is an absolute non professional NO-GO. I spent almost 4k for their stuff over the past years - I think should be worth at least a reply. Very disappointed

Is Atomic still alive??
I own one passive, one MK1 and two Neo. My woofer on the mk1 suddenly died few weaks ago. I was writing to atomic support meanwhile already under different email adresses, but there is just absolute silence - no response at all.
I realy love those speakers and was even advertising the brand to a lot a musicians friends - but, sorry this behaviour is an absolute non professional NO-GO. I spent almost 4k for their stuff over the past years - I think should be worth at least a reply. Very disappointed
Yeah, unfortunately the Atomics sound great, but they are cheaply made. Mine suddenly started to emit a blood curdling screech. The repair took 5+ months. Luckily, they are still wildly sought after and I sold it quickly.

Last edited:
I have one of each, original and neo, I’ve always heard a very slight difference but not an issue. However, my issue is: the original one developed a problem crackling. I sent it to Atomic first part of January and after countless attempts to contact with no reply, I finally got a response back late April saying it was repaired, got a notification it was shipped, after another month of contact attempts I finally got a response that it was in his wife’s car and hadn’t been dropped off Arrggg! Got it back in May still has the same problem only worse, it now cuts in and out with sort of a pink noise sound. It’s now October and after many attempts to contact Tom he finally responded a month ago that he would call me that afternoon and get it taken care of, no call and haven’t heard from him since!
That kind of support is un acceptable for those of us who depend on them for gigs. I’m at a loss and extremely frustrated. Looking for a different option myself.

Yes, the lack of support is very sad. I own two CLRs and they are fantastic, but if they die, there's seemingly little chance of getting any service.

I have 2 original powered wedges purchased new, an mk2 purchased new and a cabinet style purchased used. One of the first wedges started having a flashing light, wouldn't boot up. I requested to change out the amp with atomic support (to avoid shipping the entire speaker). Tom called personally and the amp panels were swapped out pretty quickly. I was on a waitlist for the neo version about a year. When I received it the box had a hole where the amp was and had scratches on the aluminum heat sink. Another email to support, Tom called and offered to exchange it or knock off a 100$ if I wanted to keep it, since it was only cosmetic. I chose to keep it.
The cab version I used for a while, although not often it would randomly cut out like it lost signal. After trying different cables etc... with no change, I took it apart and re-seated all of the plug-in cable connections and didn't have the issue again.
I can tell a difference in the original vs the neo version, especially the highs. The original sounds smoother and more natural. Although not a lot of difference the neo sounds a little more harsh to my ears.

Obviously different attitude towards newer customers with waranty issues.....not even a single word or reply over here.
Can it be that a 1k piece of gear must be put to trash after one or two year of even pretty rare use because of lack of support? This is something I would expect from chinese 50€ product, but for sure not from an american company.

Obviously different attitude towards newer customers with waranty issues.....not even a single word or reply over here.
Can it be that a 1k piece of gear must be put to trash after one or two year of even pretty rare use because of lack of support? This is something I would expect from chinese 50€ product, but for sure not from an american company.
The Atomic NEO is made in China.

Back
Top Bottom