Atomic CLR problem

inkeyes

Inspired
I received my new Atomic CLR active wedge a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, I think it may be faulty but I was hoping some of you guys might have some thoughts.

I hook it up to my AxeFx II via a single XLR out of output 1. It switches on fine and it sounds incredible (Previously I was using an older Atomic Reactor which I thought was good but this CLR is another level... When it's working). Unfortunately, after a little time playing (perhaps 15 minutes) it will cut out for several seconds (anywhere from just a couple to maybe 15-20 seconds), during this period you can hear the guitar/music but it sounds like it is underwater and the volume is significantly lower. It will then sound fine for a few minutes before ‘cutting out’ again.

I have changed all my cables in case one was faulty however this hasn’t fixed the problem. I've also recorded via the AxeFX II USB and after the problem has occurred I've replayed the recording back through the CLR and it sounds fine, it's therefore not my Axe FX. It's setup in wedge mode with the 'wedge' EQ setting. I've tried changing settings and levels and then moving them back but that hasn't helped either.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I emailed Atomic a week ago, despite their website claiming "A representative will respond within 1 day, usually within the first few hours", I have heard nothing. I sent a second email yesterday in case the first got missed but still nothing. I'd heard stories about the slow/poor customer service before ordering the CLR which is one of the reasons I held off upgrading for so long. Now I'm just hoping I won't live to regret it. Does anyone have any advice to get Atomic's attention to sort this out?

That's the tweeter going silent, I have the same problem, but it only happens once a month and lasts 5-10 seconds. I haven't contacted Tom about this, but he was very responsive on a different occasion. Keep trying.

I am considering picking up one of these, but this scares me nothing worse than not being able to get support.

I am also having problems with both of my CLRs, I don´t think it is the tweeter, but one of them starts jumping in volume after about half an hour, sometimes accompanied by crackling noise. I believe it is an issue with the power amp. After a few mails back and forth with Tom communication suddenly stopped. I sent several mails during the last weeks, but no response. And this is not the first time.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I had the same problem with one of my CLRs - tweeter cutting out intermittently and unpredictably. After some to-ing and fro-ing by email, Tom King talked me through removing the amp to check the connections, all of which seemed fine and were seated properly at both board and speaker end. However, this didn't fix the issue, and Atomic eventually shipped me a new amp module, with fitting instructions (a 5 minute job, very easy), and all is fine now. Whilst communications can be slow with Tom, he sorted me out in the end I can't complain about the eventual solution.

My advice: persevere with emails and post here if you're not getting responses (I see Tom chimed in on this thread, proof that this does work).

Just thought I’d provide an update for those thinking about ordering with Atomic.

After Tom saw my post, he quickly replied to my email to the Atomic support email address. My email had been automatically sent to the junk folder, although Tom looks out for emails from customers, the large amount of junk email the account receives makes it difficult. Tom informs me that Atomic have been trying to resolve this issue for a while and are currently in the process of implementing a solution that will prevent this from being a problem in future.

Since then, the support has been top notch, emails have been prompt, useful and polite. Tom arranged a convenient time to call me to troubleshoot the CLR and discuss the problem, he was even available at the weekend. After a discussion on the phone and some quick tests, Tom diagnosed that it was probably a faulty component on the amp module. He offered me two options, either sending back the CLR and getting a replacement sent back, or I could remove the amp module and he could send a replacement for just the module (this would be the quicker option as the parts are more readily available but Tom had no problem with me choosing either option).

I’ve gone with the first option as I have my old setup that I can use in the mean-time. Unfortunately, the CLR active wedges are out of stock at the moment so it’s going to take about three weeks, not ideal but provided I get a fully-working CLR within the next month or so, I’ll be happy.

So far, so good. I’ll provide an update as things progress but I just thought I’d post some feedback as I know they’ll be others out there with the same concerns I had before ordering.

I got the same troubles with my CLR. Very quick reply from Tom and solid solution. Happy consumer here!

I would also like to know if this problem has been rectified. Is there a serial number which can indicate its a CLR manufactured during a certain problematic period (hypothetically speaking) or from a faulty batch of Amp Modules or whatever.?

I would definitely recommend just getting the passive version. Their active module seems to be finicky.

I had one replaced since it wouldn't power up... and now my second CLR is having trouble powering up. I have to leave the switch on and I after some warmup time it eventually powers on.

And the one module that was replaced has that "tweeter goes off" issue mentioned in this thread. I've been wondering if it's the DSP just occasionally corrupting it's filtering coefficients or a power supply issue but for me it usually clears up by just power cycling the module (which makes me suspect the DSP).

I guess time to contact atomic but last time they took about 2 months to send me a replacement module.

Last edited:
I'm having the exact same problem. I didn't know this was a known issue. I have one CLR giving me no high end and one still working perfectly. Reached out to Atomic last week and this one so it seems you need to be persistent. I hope to hear back from them soon.

Hmmm, I was considering purchasing two......This thread is off putting to say the least.
Think I will sit on the fence a bit longer, I'm happy with my current set up anyway.

Hmmm, I was considering purchasing two......This thread is off putting to say the least.
Think I will sit on the fence a bit longer, I'm happy with my current set up anyway.

I have two CLR active wedges (non-NEO's) and I really love them. I had to replace the power module in one of them so within a few days I received a new one (free of charge) from Atomic and I returned the faulty one (I live in Norway so it was shipped from their UK-affiliate). My experience with Atomic / Tom King support is VERY positive. Highly recommended. I have however heard the same as stated in one of the above posts that Atomic has problems with spam mail so I hope they get this sorted out soon. In the mean time the best solution is to contact Tom King directly (if you need to you find how to on this forum). Conclusion; I am very happy with both the product and the manufacturer.

I've had a positive pre-purchase contact via Email with TK a while ago, too, however, I would appreciate some kind of statement by him on this issue. It doesn't seem like an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom