Atomic CLR or home electric system problem

I found the manual and I tried translating parts of it. From what I can tell, the breaker on the right is not the main breaker, it's some sort of circuit protection system that senses minor variances in current differentials. I believe it's like a whole house surge protector.

"BACO Low Voltage Subscriber Circuit Breakers and Circuit Breakers for blue tariffs from 3 to 36 kVA: .Cut and cut off the entire installation.Protect against overloads and short circuits..Have a gauge adjustment for limit the power to the contract ERDF subscribes.Assure the protection of people against indirect contacts and prevents fire risks by monitoring the insulation level (differential version) .The selective differential allows a total selectivity with devices differential 30mA downstream ( NF C 15-100), and enhances the immunity to disturbances resulting from atmospheric or other phenomena (nuisance tripping)."

So, as you mentioned, the one labelled "Geral", is the main breaker and it looks like it's only a 40 A breaker. Which seems really low for a house. In Canada, the minimum for a home now is a 200 Amp panel.

The one with the orange button is a ground fault breaker. If that is tripping it means that there is an unbalance in the current between the hot and neutral (and presumably the current is returning on the ground, hence a ground fault). This then points to the issue being the CLR and an internal ground fault.

A ground fault breaker (GFCI) works by detecting an imbalance in the amount of current drawn on the hot and returned on the neutral. If more current is drawn than returned the breaker trips. This can happen when a hair dryer is dropped into the bath tub, for example. The current doesn't return on the neutral it returns via the plumbing. As this can cause electrocution GFCIs are usually used in bathrooms, kitchens, etc. where there is a chance of electrocution due to water contact.

Well, you're definitely not in the U.S. or Canada. :)

That is the main breaker to the right. I can't read the current rating, probably 100 or 200 Amps. All I can read clearly is the 250 v at 50 Hz. Judging by the number of circuits, I'm going to guess 100 Amps.

Either way, that main breaker should NOT be tripping! I'm assuming there is not power at all in the house when it does trip?

You need to have someone look at that ASAP!!!!

yes, no power at all! :(

The breaker all the way to the right is your mains breaker. This should never trip unless there is a catastrophic failure. I'm presuming you're in Europe or S. America and I don't know the codes there but there could also be a GFCI in your mains breaker (the US doesn't do this).

Oh, and don't mess around. Get an electrician in there asap and don't use the CLR until the cause has been identified.

the orange one:
IMG-20191101-162324.jpg

the other one:
IMG-20191101-162347.jpg

Yup, both of those are ground fault breakers. The I_delta (differential) is the giveaway. Sounds like you have a ground fault in the CLR but you still should have an electrician take a look

ok, so something unexpected I think happened. The guy that was responsible for the wiring and the whole electricity projet for this house was here for one hour and a half approximately. I had already explained what was going on by phone and now I did it again while the guy was looking at things and taking some measurements, after a while he says everything seems to be running normal and he wanted me to show where I was connecting the amplifier, he said he wanted me to try to hook it just as I would normally, so I did. I connected the CLR, turned it on and it worked fine, played some music on computer and hooked up the guitar, turned it off and on repeatedly, and then just kept it going playing music even at loud levels... and absolutely nothing happenend! So now what? Don't even know I'm sure if I should keep using it.

I would at least replace the power cable. I'm assuming with out knowing that it's just a standard IEC connector at the CLR end.

Intermittent faults are a pain to troubleshoot.

Sorry to revive this thread but today this happened again when turning the CLR off. I don't think I'm turning it on again.

Back
Top Bottom