Atomic CLR or home electric system problem

Brick_top

Power User
Hi,

a couple of weeks ago my CLR suddendly started taking all the energy in my house down.
Sometimes when turning ON or OFF, other times after it is working.

I have had it for 5~ years and never had a problem. Sent an email to atomicamps and they said it was a problem with the "electricity system in my home".

If this was the case why would it happen only with the CLR?

Have you tried a different electrical plug in your house that is on a different circuit?

taking all the energy in my house down

I'm assuming that you mean it is tripping a circuit breaker? Otherwise, I don't know what you mean.

Have you tried a different electrical plug in your house that is on a different circuit?

I'm assuming that you mean it is tripping a circuit breaker? Otherwise, I don't know what you mean.

English is not my first language, but I think you are right it seems like it might be shorting somewhere and my home electrical system is shutting down.

The CLR has been connected to the same outlet with the same cable for 5~ years. After these problems I tried different cables and different outlets with the same bad result.

Now I have a verve12ma connected where I had the CLR with the same cable and no problem.

English is not my first language, but I think you are right it seems like it might be shorting somewhere and my home electrical system is shutting down.

The CLR has been connected to the same outlet with the same cable for 5~ years. After these problems I tried different cables and different outlets with the same bad result.

Now I have a verve12ma connected where I had the CLR with the same cable and no problem.
If you can try an outlet that is on a different circuit that would be good. Also try unplugging or powering off anything else on the circuit that is tripping. A circuit breaker trips when the current draw on that circuit exceeds it's limit. It could be something else in combination with the CLR.

If you can try an outlet that is on a different circuit that would be good. Also try unplugging or powering off anything else on the circuit that is tripping. A circuit breaker trips when the current draw on that circuit exceeds it's limit. It could be something else in combination with the CLR.

Good. Thanks for the tip. I guess I have a lot more troubleshooting to make.

Could also try bringing the CLR to a friend's house .. this way you would eliminate any potential electrical problems in your house. As an aside, I just had an interaction with Atomic Amps over a problematic CLR and they were extremely helpful and responsive. Sorry your experience wasn't the same ... I would try them again and let them know the results of your experimenting around with different circuits.

Have to agree w/ Atomic. This sounds like the electrical circuit is incapable of handling the inrush current. Could be as simple as a faulty breaker.

Have to agree w/ Atomic. This sounds like the electrical circuit is incapable of handling the inrush current. Could be as simple as a faulty breaker.

Probably dumb question but why only the CLR? Tomorrow I will be able to test other outlets , my wife doesn't wan't me to turn the CLR on anymore, she is not going to be here tomorrow.

thanks

Probably dumb question but why only the CLR? Tomorrow I will be able to test other outlets , my wife doesn't wan't me to turn the CLR on anymore, she is not going to be here tomorrow.

thanks
Some products have higher inrush current than others.

How old is the home?

It's 10 years. Power only goes down when really powerfull stuff is turned on at the same time like "clothes dryer, owen, microwave, vitroceramic hob"
I mainly use the CLR when everyone is asleep so mainly what is turned on is my computer, two monitors, the axe-fx and the CLR

I probably haven't said that when this happens there are two circuit breakers that are tripping, one that says mains and a bigger one that says 1 and 0.

hopefully I used the whole circuit breaker tripping terminology right"

I probably haven't said that when this happens there are two circuit breakers that are tripping, one that says mains and a bigger one that says 1 and 0.

hopefully I used the whole circuit breaker tripping terminology right"

Mains, as in the big breaker at the top of the panel, like the one I circled in this pic? The one that says 1 and 0, do you mean 10 amps?

1572621671540.png

It's 10 years. Power only goes down when really powerfull stuff is turned on at the same time like "clothes dryer, owen, microwave, vitroceramic hob"

That's not that old, should be up to current code, assuming an electrician did it, which sometimes is no guarantee it was done correctly or even inspected, if the house was built in a big subdivision.

Are you in the U.S., Canada...?

This is not normal and is definitely not very safe. Please get an electrician out to your house as soon as possible, it could potentially cause a serious problem (e.g. fire hazard).

Something is drawing too much current somewhere. Atomic doesn't have the CLR's current draw spec'd in the manual.

This is not normal and is definitely not very safe. Please get an electrician out to your house as soon as possible, it could potentially cause a serious problem (e.g. fire hazard).

Agreed. Could be a wire arcing, a switch arcing, faulty breaker, as Cliff Mentioned, which means the breaker may not protect the circuit and the wires could overheat and catch on fire. There may also be too many devices on one or more circuits in the house.

Before you call an electrician, call your local utility company, they should send someone out to inspect it at no charge, then you can hire an electrician to correct any issues.

when this happens here are the circuit breakers that are off

actual photo from my panel

"Geral" means Mains I think

when this happens here are the circuit breakers that are off

actual photo from my panel

"Geral" means Mains I think

Well, you're definitely not in the U.S. or Canada. :)

That is the main breaker to the right. I can't read the current rating, probably 100 or 200 Amps. All I can read clearly is the 250 v at 50 Hz. Judging by the number of circuits, I'm going to guess 100 Amps.

Either way, that main breaker should NOT be tripping! I'm assuming there is not power at all in the house when it does trip?

You need to have someone look at that ASAP!!!!

Back
Top Bottom