Atomic CLR Neo Active Wedge has volume fluctuations

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody, I just sent this email to Atomic, and I thought I would copy it here to see if anyone has had any similar problems/wisdom to share:

I have been crazy about my CLR Neo active wedge (used with an Axe-Fx II), but now something is up.
At a gig the other night, the CLR’s volume suddenly went wide open, causing confusion and eardrum pain. I turned down Input 1 and the Master, and it did go quiet. I played without it for the rest of the gig.

I had it gain-staged just as indicated in the Manual, using the “instrument cable/non-XLR” part of Input 1.
Later, a little testing revealed a strange fluctuation when touching the “Master” knob: it would sometimes go wide open or vary wildly just from lightly touching the knob.

I undid the screws and took the power/rear panel module out for examination, undoing the spade lugs, thinking I could maybe find a connection that was poorly seated; I really didn’t find anything, so I put it back the way it was. Thinking I could escape a sudden “wide-open” problem at the next gig, I gain-staged it wrong, running the master wide open and trimming the overall volume with the Input 1 level. If the wide-open problem recurred at this gig, I think this method made it unnoticeable.

So how would you like to approach this issue with me? I wouldn’t have any trouble trading you the bad module for a good one and I could install it myself.

Please let me know as soon as you can; I need to make sure my gear is trustworthy for gigs.

Best Wishes,
Eric Amble

Ive had a few, its rare but I get them too. Dunno let me know if you find the key. I have 2 stereo, so maybe the
axII ?? And I'm old school with the standard drivers over 2 years now. Experienced this just a few times

I would be interested if you get an answer from Atomic. I tried to contact Tom King twice in the last weeks and didn´t receive any reaction. I am also having this volume jumps since ever. It seems the first batch of CLRs had poor soldering quality.

Hmm... well, I did get an answer from Tom King lickety-split, within about a day and a half. We scheduled a brief phone call.
He was very friendly and helpful, and speculated that maybe one of the pots was intermittently shorting.
Because it's intermittent, we decided the best thing to do was to unscrew/disconnect the amp module from the wedge and send that in... when I have the time to spare (if I can limp through gigs this weekend, I'll send it in then).
Hooray for Atomic's service!

Hooray for Atomic's service![/QUOTE]

Well, it seems to work if you are in the US, European users tend to be ignored. I´m not sure if Atomic´s branch in Ireland still exists.

As for the soldering: I had a brief conversation with forum-member Kingjimmi who sent me some photos of his passive CLRs where the soldering was not done properly, I could not compare it to mine since I have the active version.

As for the soldering: I had a brief conversation with forum-member Kingjimmi who sent me some photos of his passive CLRs where the soldering was not done properly, I could not compare it to mine since I have the active version.

Good to know. I'v got a pair of active neo wedges and haven't experienced any issues with either of them.

Tom at Atomic Amps sorted out my problems. Replaced the crossovers and everything works fine now. Before the change, I would get bad static noises and unexpected dropouts.

I have 2 CLR Neos. Lets see Ive almost owned them a year and have gone through 2 power modules and driver. And guess what I need another power module now.. One of My CLR's keep turning off at the gig and coming back on. All the clip lights go red, and no im not clipping the unit. This happened a few months ago with the other one and this 2nd one is doing it..Clips, turns off then on. I sent Tom an email a few days ago and haven't heard anything. Usually his customer service with me has been great. Just sent him another today confirming my problem because it happened all night at the gig last night, total bummer. I love these clrs but man these intermittent problems suck.

Hm, I don't suppose anybody's heard from Tom in the last week?
He said he was ready to ship my amp back to me, and then it never came, and he never emailed me, and he's not answering my emails to him. I kind of need that CLR!

Well, this is just a bump and an update on my experience with Atomic's service. I overnighted the amp module to them, hoping I could get it back in short order.
They told me there was no problem they could find, and they might replace a pot before shipping it back. Though I've emailed them a few times since then, I've gotten no reply since Dec. 1.

So now, I just sent them this:

Hi guys,

Well, it's been a real long time with no response from you, and so I think it's time for you to send me my stuff back.
This is a mission-critical application for me, and I need either my gear or the status of my gear. If you don't give me either, I have to find a way to escalate this.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi, this is going to sound dumb but here it goes. [Disregard if you've already tried this] ..I've also had trouble contacting him by email so this is what I've done... I start a Brand new email and change the Subject Line. I don't know if it's his email filter or something else, but that always seems to get a response.
You can also try sending him a message on this Forum and on Facebook if you haven't tried it already...

Last edited:
Yes, after writing a message to him at his regular email address and also CCing it to the support address from Atomic's page, I got an immediate response. Looks like he was waiting on parts for my stuff—I was just confused not knowing that.

Yes, after writing a message to him at his regular email address and also CCing it to the support address from Atomic's page, I got an immediate response. Looks like he was waiting on parts for my stuff—I was just confused not knowing that.

i got word from him last week on Wednesday that he was waiting for parts and had received them and that my power module was going out the next day. Still waiting for it, hopefully this week as i have gigs this weekend that i need it.

Anyone here from Tom..i never received my new power module and he hasn't been responding to any emails, texts...and its been a couple weeks. thanks

Back
Top Bottom