Atomic CLR - FOS

Hi all,
Looking for advice, do any of you EQ or change your outputs for FRFR and FOS? Wondered if there was noticeable difference between the two?

Have run it straight through the CLR and also Output 1 to CLR Output 2 to FOS.

Cheers
Chris

I guess it really depends. Since there seem to be big differences between different stage monitors there are certainly differences between stage monitors and the FOH sound (unless you use the same cabinets for both).

The main benefit of sending Output 2 to FOH is that you can set the output 2 level once and never touch it again so you don't mess with the FOH gain. That allows you to use your Output 1 knob to adjust your stage level and not affect FOH. As far as EQ, I would just send the same signal and let the FOH engineer (even if that is you) make any adjustments at the board to compensate for different rooms, etc.

no, i dial in to my CLR and believe that's my best tone...FOH is going to do what they do to fit the mix, for better or for worse. at least i know i have the best tone possible on my end and that i'm sending to them.

I played on a stage a few days ago where the FRFR was super-boomy because it was a raised hollow wooden stage resonating. My Ax8 console editing skills are too slow to fix it in the time I had allotted (and I'm not production-ready with FracPad yet), but I would have loved to tweak the EQ on that output without changing what I sent to FoH. So yes, separate EQ for each can be useful. I am surrendering this ability as part of using the FX loop to include the Strymon BigSky in my rig for CPU offload. That effectively removes the independent Out2 from Ax8. I can still adjust my level with knobs on CLR, but no EQ on CLR without messing with signal going to FoH.

I played on a stage a few days ago where the FRFR was super-boomy because it was a raised hollow wooden stage resonating. My Ax8 console editing skills are too slow to fix it in the time I had allotted (and I'm not production-ready with FracPad yet), but I would have loved to tweak the EQ on that output without changing what I sent to FoH. So yes, separate EQ for each can be useful. I am surrendering this ability as part of using the FX loop to include the Strymon BigSky in my rig for CPU offload. That effectively removes the independent Out2 from Ax8. I can still adjust my level with knobs on CLR, but no EQ on CLR without messing with signal going to FoH.

could you not raise your CLR or tilt it?

It was an overall messed up sound night but eventually came together after sweating it out. The guys bought a new iPad controlled mixer and said they figured it out before the show. 5 minutes before our 3 sets start, they give up and rewire everything to the snake for FOH and I'm scrambling to set mic levels and eq etc. just as I get them all good, their about to start and I realize I didn't set myself up yet! They had plugged me into the snake spot that overlaps with an iPod or something for house music, so nothing coming out for me and drummer leads into our first song.

So I quickly swing around my CLR from wedge facing me to facing the audience and start playing. Boomy central!!

Within a few songs I was able to run back and forth playing engineer and trace cables and getting through the crowd and dodging the bar maids for access to the house sound board, get it all figured out. Sometimes it sucks being the only techie guy in a band playing small venues with nobody who has a clue about how anything is set up. I took home the new mixer to figure it out. I plan to get cables pre-labeled for everyone so we can be fast plug and play with no cable tracing to see who's got which mic and make changes from stage on the fly.

It's funny after the fact, but definitely makes me want to get the sh!t dialed.

In general though, shouldn't have to deal with that much global eq tweaking. I did learn how to access it from the console now though :)

Same as above, reversed. Out 1 to FOH, Out 2 to stage monitoring. More for independent volume control than anything, I've never EQed my stage mix during a show. I carry a short speaker stand and will elevate it if the stage is crappy or I need it to throw farther. There are floor/pole mount buttons on my monitor to accommodate that.

FOH is it's own animal... just have to trust the mix, because you can't tell what it sounds like unless you're standing in front of the mains. Off axis (or worse yet, behind the mains) sounds completely different from what the audience is getting. If your monitor sounds great, at least you know the sound going to the FOH board is starting out great...

Back
Top Bottom