Atomic CLR Fender Blackface Special Edition

This is my version as of today, just looking for a version of angle protections, any part reference would be welcome !

Attachments

• 20190922_185949[1].jpg
    20190922_185949[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
Thanks for the inspiration. I decided to do mine as well and went for the salt and pepper Marshall cloth from Stewmac. I think they turned out great :)

clr_marshall_1.jpg

clr_marshall_2.jpg

Look great!

if it was me I’d slap a 6” “Marshall” badge on their, or maybe just one of those little gold “1960” corner ones

Looks great. How did you mount the cloth?

I created a wooden frame that i just stapled together and then just stapled the cloth around it. There's two sets of holes in this second CLR because I managed to get the first holes I drilled to match the original holes slightly off, so I decided to just make new holes for the blocks in the CLR for this frame.Never claimed to be a cabinet maker ;)

clr_marshall_3.jpg

clr_marshall_4.jpg

Look great!

if it was me I’d slap a 6” “Marshall” badge on their, or maybe just one of those little gold “1960” corner ones

Thank you. The reason I'm hesitating to put a logo on there is that I sometimes use them as backline and sometimes as a wedge so the logo would be on 90 degrees in one of those scenarios. I also think the original CLR logo looks off when not used as a wedge.

Thank you. The reason I'm hesitating to put a logo on there is that I sometimes use them as backline and sometimes as a wedge so the logo would be on 90 degrees in one of those scenarios. I also think the original CLR logo looks off when not used as a wedge.

you could attach the logo with just one screw so you could rotate around easily

Also, you can place the metal original grill right around the wooden frame, using the wooden frame to attach the staples for the grill cloth, while having the metal grill behind the cloth to prevent any possible damage. You use the same mounting holes drilling through the frame of wood and the existing predrilled holes in metal grill.

not needed, but I figured it’s a $1000 monitor and last thing I want is someone putting a foot onto it and damaging the big horn which is less than an inch from the grill cloth

Also, you can place the metal original grill right around the wooden frame, using the wooden frame to attach the staples for the grill cloth, while having the metal grill behind the cloth to prevent any possible damage. You use the same mounting holes drilling through the frame of wood and the existing predrilled holes in metal grill.

not needed, but I figured it’s a $1000 monitor and last thing I want is someone putting a foot onto it and damaging the big horn which is less than an inch from the grill cloth

Yes, that would likely have been a better solution - just create the wooden frame inside the original grill instead. It would indeed make it sturdier.

This is what I did, but more hassle and any normal cab just has the cloth anyway.

This is what I did, but more hassle and any normal cab just has the cloth anyway.

True, but a normal cab has a typical inverted cone style speaker, not the coaxial horn, and typically floor wedges always have protective grills as well.

ive always put a foot on wedges, which might not end well with just a cloth cover. Back line use is probably fine, but again, $1000 wedge ? Better safe than sorry

at the very least, you don’t have to store the extra metal grill somewhere lol

I created a wooden frame that i just stapled together and then just stapled the cloth around it. There's two sets of holes in this second CLR because I managed to get the first holes I drilled to match the original holes slightly off, so I decided to just make new holes for the blocks in the CLR for this frame.Never claimed to be a cabinet maker ;)

clr_marshall_3.jpg

clr_marshall_4.jpg
Those turned out great! Thinking of doing this too......what is the width and thickness of the wood you used...is it some kind of trim?

Back
Top Bottom