Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

And I would definitely check his collection out if he decides to make it available.

Btw; I miss him around here. Although some members got all worked up about his posting style, he was a great asset to the community!

Here's one for you guys. Think how easy it will be for two or more of us to increase our patch design skills and take our rigs to new levels if everyone involved is listening and diagnosing through the same high end co-axial system.

Right now we deal with things like, "This patch was created on a K10. If you don't have a K10 turn off the EQ at the end of the chain. If you do have a K10, is the phase corrected? Oh, you have a Verve and I have a K10. This patch won't sound good through your system."

All the varying mid-level, non-co-axial FRFR products we use = certain degrees of sonic confusion when trying to help each other by sharing patches.

I read Scott's posts, but I must admit much of that technical stuff goes over my head, I'm just a guitar player, not an audio or acoustics engineer or anything. But we'll just have to wait and see (and hear) then, whether the new "Jaytomic" will revolutionize FRFR speaker technology as we know it today.. ;-)

If I understand this correctly, co-axial designes are supposed to be superior, but arent due to lack of research / knowledge?
Coaxial designs are superior, as long as the other aspects of the design are high-quality. But coaxial designs are trickier—and therefore more expensive—to engineer and build properly. With a traditional design, you just need to mount a couple of speakers on a baffle. With coaxial, you have to design a speaker within a speaker, make them both stable, and keep them from interfering with each other.

Also, Scotts are you saying that seperate HF / LF drivers, on a flat surface, are inferior to properly designed co-axial loud speakers?
Coaxial designs have one powerful advantage over other designs: they're closer to the theoretical ideal of having all of the sound come from a single point in space. That means you don't have phasing issues between the drivers, and you don't have two differently-sized—and therefore different-sounding—speakers, both trying to reproduce a tone near the crossover point.

Being that I have a Bose L1, the mid/high frequencies come from the tower itself, and then the subwoofers sit next to it. Does this qualify the design as a non-coaxial speaker?
The Bose L1 isn't coaxial. It's a line of speakers, stacked one above another.

I'm surprised that other members haven't commented on this, or do we all agree that we are "dumb as sh*t" when it comes to speakers and that our ears suck..?

A careful reading of my post and the one I played off of with the "ears suck" thing will show that I was being a little flippant. In terms of being "dumb as sh*t" (which I also played off of from a previous post) just read all the incredibly ignorant, uniformed stuff that hits this forum regarding FRFR. Most of us, myself included, are "dumb as sh*t" with regard to any deep understandings of loudspeakers and FRFR.

Many folks with a lot of guitar-speaker knowledge think that what they have learned crosses over and applies to FRFR land. It doesn't.

I happen to be very clear, when talking about FRFR and loudspeakers, that in relation to guys like Jay I just happen to be "loudspeaker dumb as sh*t". And no. My ears aren't nearly as well trained or sensitive as Jay's. All ears are not created equally. More importantly, all ears are not trained equally.

....and I'm okay with all that...

but is it really reasonable to think that this new product will make all other speaker cabs (including those that many Axe users are quite happy with right now) sound awful in comparison, like Scotts is implying..?

No that is not reasonable.

I am saying that even if you have a really good non-co-axial system that you are currently happy with you should notice a significant increase in overall quality of sound and presentation with the new Atomic.

P.S. I love your demo videos Keitl. They were one of the things that got me to order my first Axe.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to hearing the responses tomorrow. Guys will be there whose opinions I respect a lot!

Like Casey Stengel, I try not to make predictions, especially about the future. But in this case, it's too hard to resist. I think we'll see a smaller LF driver (8"?), a shallow horn-loaded enclosure, and a foam HF diffuser. It's too early to tell whether they will go with SS or valve power section, but I'm think we might see an embedded DSP, to manage a number of functions. We may also see some scalability features, like chaining, stacking and managing multiple units. We'll see soon enough!

I think we'll see a smaller LF driver (8"?)...
This could be cool. If done right, smaller is better (for me, anyway).

...a shallow horn-loaded enclosure...
Aren't "horn-loaded" and "shallow" contradictory? :)

...and a foam HF diffuser.
I associate foam diffusers with guitar speakers. I don't think they apply to a well-designed FRFR system.

...I'm think we might see an embedded DSP, to manage a number of functions. We may also see some scalability features, like chaining, stacking and managing multiple units.
Lots of cool ideas here. I'd be happy even without them, if noticeably better sound can be had for an attainable price. Well, a little DSP (I love the floor/stand option that the RCF has).

Ain't it fun to speculate when it's all guesswork? :)

Clarification

...(with coaxial designs) you don't have two differently-sized—and therefore different-sounding—speakers, both trying to reproduce a tone near the crossover point.
I said that wrong. With coaxial designs you actually do have two differently-sized speakers, both trying to reproduce the same tone near the crossover point—just like traditional designs. What you do get is a lot less of the weird phase relationships between the sounds coming from the two speakers, and those phase relationships don't shift as much when you change listening position.

The advatage of Coaxial speaker is simple, both the woofer and tweeter are located at the same point,
so your sound comes from the same point in space.... just like in real life.
The distance between your ear and the woofer is always the same as the distance between your ear and the tweeter
regardless of where you stand in the room.
This avoids phase shifts associated with non coaxial designs.
With non coaxial design there is really one "perfect point" in the room, move a few inches and the sound is no longer ideal.
With coaxial design, the sweet spot becomes much larger and no phase issues between the woofer and tweeter no mater where you stand in the room.

:?

Whomever here is going to this - take some pics/video, etc and ask Jay about his FF IR's!!! Please???
Please Ask about suitable power amps for use with the passive models as well. I would think that anything designed by Jay would benefit from a high-quality amp; I'm wondering if it will be possible to get results equivalent to the active cabs with the proper power amp.

Please Ask about suitable power amps for use with the passive models as well. I would think that anything designed by Jay would benefit from a high-quality amp; I'm wondering if it will be possible to get results equivalent to the active cabs with the proper power amp.

Depends on how the active cab will be powered. Doubt it will be tube as I'd imagine Tom would wanna stay clear of using that technology in the new cab so that leaves a couple of options using class D powered modules. They'll do the job I'm sure but as to whether they'd be better than a spearate amp remains to be seen. Also depends on any DSP involved in the active portions. Not a dig as I know the 2 commercially available modules are good for most HI-Fi and pro audio applications. I'm also looking forward to hearing more from today's test.

This is great news! I am very curious what it's going to be.
But I'm quite confident it's going to be great.

The IR thing would be very cool too!

Well, I'm off to play a gig in Yek-town :)

Jens

Back
Top Bottom