Atomic Active Cab vs. Matrix Q12a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm....... thought

Age plus Genre of music one plays is an immeasurable equation to the level of tone or "boominess" one perceives. Now add in to the equation - ability, experience and attitude, well now we have a smorgasbord of opinion that equates to one final position:

Try the damn things out for yourself before you cut and run on ANY product based on 1 incomplete review.

Just my observation :D

Here you go

I am using Garage Band -- actually it was very simple

I am playing a couple of phrases -- at the end I do two passes using the BB Pre - one vol pot at 100% the second at around 70-80% which is where I normally play.

I think this sounds like a real "Fender" amp to me folks

Please do not! You will get burned, shot, eliminated or even worse pushed into the snake pit. It was your opinion and review keep it like that. Just a warning........

No worries mate -- I love the pit!

Is this a patch you made yourself? And did you consider this one "boomy" with the CLR? If so, if you could post this preset or any others you felt gave you similar responses?

Here you go

I am using Garage Band -- actually it was very simple

I am playing a couple of phrases -- at the end I do two passes using the BB Pre - one vol pot at 100% the second at around 70-80% which is where I normally play.

I think this sounds like a real "Fender" amp to me folks

Suuuweeet... I hope presets coming our way ;)

I don't see the significance of "monitoring" vs "the only source of my sound, no FOH."

Sound is sound whether it's just for you or it's for you and the audience. If you are mentioning that because you are louder than you might be if you were just monitoring, it just means you are louder. Has nothing to do with the boomy factor, in my opinion.

Sure, the FM curve, but we can always compensate for that with EQ.

As mentioned a few times, if it was boomy, everything would be boomy. It doesn't really matter if you reset your axe fx or used a stock factory preset - they aren't perfectly balanced and shouldn't be "control" in an EQ test. The preset(s) could very well be bass heavy and the way you perceived the tone with the CLR was somehow different than the way you perceived it with another speaker.

And that's ok! Again, none of this really matters as it relates to you. You didn't like the CLR and you moved on.

I think people are still commenting on this though to clear up the fact that the CLR is not inherently boomy, but that your opinion is that the CLR sounds boomy - which are 2 completely different statements.

Is this a patch you made yourself? And did you consider this one "boomy" with the CLR? If so, if you could post this preset or any others you felt gave you similar responses?

exact patch
Exact settings

I specifically picked the phrases I did for their emphasis on the bass strings

With the CLR the bass would overwhelmed me.

With the Matrix/Q12 I am hearing the same thing you are hearing on the clip

So call it what you want -- chart it any way you want but that is the way I heard it folks and so did my bandmates!

Suuuweeet... I hope presets coming our way ;)

There is nothing fancy here.

Stock patch # 2 in the Axe (v9) -- just EQ the front end to taste
Delay the same
Reverb I fiddled with a bit
BB Pre - just dial the front end a bit like you would with a pedal

This is why I am digging the Axe-Fx soooo much these days. It sounds killer. You do not need to have a PHD in "Tweekology" to make it work and sound good any more!

There is nothing fancy here.

Stock patch # 2 in the Axe (v9) -- just EQ the front end to taste
Delay the same
Reverb I fiddled with a bit
BB Pre - just dial the front end a bit like you would with a pedal

This is why I am digging the Axe-Fx soooo much these days. It sounds killer. You do not need to have a PHD in "Tweekology" to make it work and sound good any more!

Gotta dig up those stock presets again and check them out more properly...

that's impossible unless i'm listening to it with a matrix/q12 :) well, seriously.

but again it doesn't really matter.

Well I am
biggrin.gif

Gotta dig up those stock presets again and check them out more properly...

the first few presets are basic meat and potatoes presets -- nothing fancy -- just they way I like it!

I hope V10 has more basic setups like these --- really great building blocks -- In any event it works for me!

I'd very much like to hear the exact patch(es) played directly into a DAW recorded. Add me to the +1 list.

You already have the patch.

Preset #2 in v9 -- EQ front end to taste.

that is it -- nothing fancy

Here is the clip you requested

Factal>USB>MAC>Garageband -- no post .. just the patch
OD at the end is the BB Pre -- dialed to taste - two passes one with vol pot at 100% - second with it around 80%

Last edited:
Here is a question for you and I would like your perspective.

What if a manufacturer calls you at home on a sat afternoon and in a round about manner asks you you not chit chat on a particular thread? His reasoning being that is he does not want the thread bumped up to the top because it contains a few posts that might not show his product in the best light?

How would you react to that?

Just curious

That manufacturer cares about his product! I'm sure it's a completely hypothetical question. :)

That manufacturer cares about his product! I'm sure it's a completely hypothetical question. :)

Hypothetically speaking ... it is BS and it is an attempt to control free speech.

If you build a product there are going to be people that like it and others that don't. That's life!

If you can't take it you should be in another business.

Social media is one of the ways folks can get different perspectives on new products.

If you built a great product you have nothing to worry about -- folks will buy it regardless of what anybody says.

If your marketing plan is to use a few KOLs to pitch your product and sell it -- then yes I would be worried about the kool-aid bubble bursting.

Hypothetically speaking of course.

Last edited:
Come on. Have the balls to speak straight or just give it a rest. IMHO, of course and hypothetically speaking and all the other garbage that makes this thread a waste of time.

/thread

Reactions: LVC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom