Atomic Active Cab vs. Matrix Q12a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me put it another way for you

Lets say the patch is a little boomy. When I play the preset through the XYZ Monitor it sounds pretty close to what I hear through my computer (from a direct recording made of that clip through my computer) -- It is pretty close -- but when it goes through the YZX monitor the bass parts are more exaggerated

In this case would you at least consider the possibility that YZX monitor emphasized the bass frequencies more than XYZ monitor?
I have played both sides of the coin in the debate quite a bit in this thread. You have refused to entertain the patch being the issue theory. You are posing a question above using logic as your key point asking if a consideration could be made that xyz monitor is emphasizing the bass freq. It begs to say that it totally appears that you want to bypass/ignore the fact that maybe abc monitor is under emphasizing the bass freq. I own the RCF so I don't have a dog in this fight but I know you are kinda of knew to the axe and the learning curve is huge. If you like the matrix that is awesome, I want to try one, you don't like the CLR that is awesome I want to try one. You said something early in a post that honest made no sense. You said to make choices for ourselves not based on what others say. I think it is safe to say that many may buy something based on others reviews but like you if they don't like it they are not keeping it.

I think this thread should stop, I have enjoyed the read and some sad things have taken place but at this point a horse is being massacred.

Or the exact opposite. Your computer and XYZ Monitor may be lacking low end response.

I NEVER trust what I hear on computer monitors....there is no low end response, so you have no idea what low end may be dialed into your patch.

So now both my computer speakers as well as the Q12 lack bass response because the preset through the CLR sounds boomy.

OK I Got it.

Thanks!

circular-reasoning1.jpg

So now both my computer speakers as well as the Q12 lack bass response because the preset through the CLR sounds boomy.

OK I Got it.

Thanks!

Now you are just trolling. It's very obvious!

The clip you provided sounded "boomy" on my Adam 7's, Reactor Wedges', Grado and Senn headphones, and my friends Focal 6's. Especially so on the pretty woman riff and the one prior to it. With all the others chiming in with additional monitoring solutions saying the same you just cannot accept it. Why not just be happy that your computer monitors (which you have not declared) and the Q12 offer similar results and are a good fit for you? Or I suppose you can make this thread an epic 2,000 page trolling rant about how ALL the other monitoring offerings so many use are ALL "boomy".

Suggested reading:

0GEk4fG.jpg

It is quite possible, backed by the tests and data that the CLR has an even bass response. Additionally, many others found the recording to have a spike in the bass frequencies on their various speaker systems ranging from low to very high end.

Again that has nothing to do with your personal opinion of the speaker.

I know you don't go to FOH, but if you ever need to, the signal sent to them may be bassy and you'd need to know that so you can adjust it so your intended tone is communicated with the audience.

LVC, mate, this one is for you.

You only have to say that 4 is 5, turn in your beliefs, and the bad people will go away. They only want you to turn in your spine.

Next week we are getting a gang together to go around telling people why their particular religion is wrong. We've got a book burning afterwards.

Nah I don't think he's saying anything like that.

Based on his specific experience with the different speakers, he found the CLR bassier than he preferred. That's ok.

Some are just trying to point out, for his benefit believe it or not, that his tests/conclusions may be founded on incorrect assumptions and when confronted with the realities and facts that exist, his sounds and presets may be actually bassy.

With his specific setup it isn't bassy, with most others it is. If he only ever uses his setup it will be ok. If he ever uses another, it may suddenly be bassy. At that point, we can only hope that every other system isn't called "too bassy."

All he had to compare to was his computer monitors and the q12. Those sounded similar to him so that was his basis of opinion.

Enter the CLR which some may say has the "correct" amount of bass production, and it was more bass than his other systems (again which were the basis of his opinion) so naturally, the CLR is bassy/boomy compared to his former setup.

Enter other people with data specs and their own experience and their opinion and message is that the CLR is not bassy. Therein lies the conflict between opinions and facts because (quite possibly) the original basis of "what an even frequency spectrum sounds like" was technically incorrect because the original computer speakers and/or q12 happen to actually cut bass frequencies, thus skewing the reality of "even frequency response."

People became defensive about the CLR because the statement was "The CLR is boomy" and not "the CLR sounds boomy with my setup."

Complicating the discussion is the belief by one of the sides that Scott is somehow being asked to promote the CLR and therefore anything he says has an ulterior motive, trying to discredit anyone with a non-positive opinion about the speaker. Anyone who agrees with Scott is possibly also in on this promotion or they are sheep following his lead and their opinion and experience is moot.

Lots of great psychological study in one thread.

LOL... Nice synopsis and attempt at being politically correct... We can all sleep peacefully now... ;-)

But it did, successfully, detour some of us away from the OCD lust for V10 and AE... Now back to that.... Smhih...

I'd like to see the graphs of the Q12's and whatever LVC is using for computer monitors. Can you supply those LVC?

@NiceChris: So trying to understand why he hears a difference and actually trying his clip through various monitoring solutions to provide reasonable answers makes someone a "bad" person? Too funny!

For someone new to this thread, let me recap it for you

1. someone buys an Atomic CLR Active Cab
2. Person uses CLR on a gig and finds it boomy
3. Makes a passing reference in a thread
4. Some agree with his experience

Quiet time -- peace and harmony

6. Person gets a call from an individual with an offer to help because they saw boom reference in a thread.
7. Caller decides he wants to spend more time trashing Fractal than helping work through problem
8. Person not satisfied with fixes offered (or demeanor of caller)
9. Person uses CLR for one more gig and ends up disgusted with the product
10. He orders the GT1000 & Q12 and returns the CLR
11. He receives the Matrix Amp/Q12
12. He uses it for a few days and digs it big time
13. He writes a long opinion review of three products and why he settled on 2

Shit storm hits

14. Storm troopers march in
15. He receives a harrassing call
16. Carrier force deployed
17. Attacking forces try to deliver a death blow
18. They don't succeed
19. Troops default to circular reasoning
20. Attacking forces start to look and act like shills for said company
21. Nothing gets resolved
22. Thread turns to shit
22. Reviewer still maintains his opinion regarding CLR

I think this about sums it up.
3e5dbfe7-1.gif

Some people like chocolate, some people like vanilla, some people like neither.

Now, where is V10 and AxeEdit ? ( now THAT will start a war... ). ;-)

1. someone buys an Atomic CLR Active Cab
2. Person uses CLR on a gig and finds it boomy
3. Makes a passing reference in a thread
4. Some agree with his experience

Quiet time -- peace and harmony

6. Person gets a call from an individual with an offer to help because they saw boom reference in a thread.
7. Caller decides he wants to spend more time trashing Fractal than helping work through problem
8. Person not satisfied with fixes offered (or demeanor of caller)
9. Person uses CLR for one more gig and ends up disgusted with the product
10. He orders the GT1000 & Q12 and returns the CLR
11. He receives the Matrix Amp/Q12
12. He uses it for a few days and digs it big time
13. He writes a long opinion review of three products and why he settled on 2

Shit storm hits

18. They don't succeed
22. Thread turns to shit

I think this about sums it up.
3e5dbfe7-1.gif

23. Reviewer refuses to listen to logical reasoning or alternative possibilities.
24. Reviewer makes numbered list of which 81% has nothing to do with the topic on hand.

Shit storm hits

18. They don't succeed
22. Thread turns to shit

23. Reviewer refuses to listen to logical reasoning or alternative possibilities.
24. Reviewer makes numbered list of which 81% has nothing to do with the topic on hand.

25. Go To 22

This part was never debated.

Stating "The CLR is a boomy speaker" is what the entire debate is about, different than "I think the CLR sounded boomy with my setup."

What if I posted a sound clip of a recording I did and by all normal judgment, it is absolutely shrill, cutting and full of high frequencies. But on my speakers, both my computer speakers and my 12" powered speaker, it sounds absolutely awesome. Not shrill, perfectly perfect.

I share that clip with people online and they say on their systems it sounds very shrill, full of high end etc. I absolutely disagree because on my systems, 2 of them actually, it sounds perfect.

In reality, the tone is actually full of high end but something with my setup is making it sound "normal" whether it's a defect in the speaker, the room I'm listening in, the volume I'm playing at or even my inexperience as a guitarist making tones.

Then I buy a new speaker to try it because it is supposed to be good, and this speaker has a normal high end reproduction and WOW through this new speaker everything sounds SO shrill! This speaker thus is a shrill speaker.

I say that in a review and people disagree with me saying the speaker is not shrill, in fact according to several measurements and tests, it's actually one of the most balanced speakers available today.

I continue to disagree with that because my old speakers weren't shrill and this new one is.

Others have heard the recording and tone I'm running through the speakers and generally people agree that the tone is actually shrill on many other systems.

Well to me on my setup, for whatever reason, that exact tone is not shrill. And that's ok. If I always use my setup, it will sound good.

But if in realty it really is a shrill sound, that's the reason the new speaker sounds shrill, the speaker itself is not shrill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom