'Atlas' - Monuments (Firmware 19.00b3 w/ Cab Pack 7)

Guitar cover of 'Atlas' by Monuments. It's a fairly straightforward song, but it's deceptively difficult to get all of the right hand stuff tight and clean. Altogether it was pretty fun to learn. The tuning is John Browne's usual tuning; Ab F Bb Eb F Bb Eb.

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything due to me starting at university and struggling to find the time and motivation to keep this YouTube thing going, but I'm back and my rig has changed significantly since my last video. I'm running the Axe-FX II into a Matrix GT800FX which is powering a Port City 2x12 OS with Celestion V30s. The audio that you hear in the video is running through the cab sim in the Axe using an IR from Fractal Audio's Cab Pack 7.

You can get the preset here (there's nothing special going on, just the basic controls on the Friedman HBE), although you will need to select your own cab as I cannot legally share the IR from Cab Pack 7: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnjgvs4je02adhw/'Atlas' - Monuments.syx?dl=0

Sorry about the frame rate; my camera is shitty. :lol

I really liked the video. I rarely watch a video from start to finish but I did this time. :) I liked the groovy riffs in that song. I've heard that song before but I never really heard the riffs as clearly as in this clip. Good job dude!

EDIT: Mini-rant: I had to go and listen to the original song and I realized that I had listened to it before but didn't like the mix so I turned away. That's kind of sad that nowadays the standard for good music requires a good mix but honestly when I can't hear the note definition on the guitar nor hear what Chris was singing about I quickly start to lose interest. That song could be one of the best djent songs if it was mixed up to it's potential. :S

Last edited:
I really liked the video. I rarely watch a video from start to finish but I did this time. :) I liked the groovy riffs in that song. I've heard that song before but I never really heard the riffs as clearly as in this clip. Good job dude!

EDIT: Mini-rant: I had to go and listen to the original song and I realized that I had listened to it before but didn't like the mix so I turned away. That's kind of sad that nowadays the standard for good music requires a good mix but honestly when I can't hear the note definition on the guitar nor hear what Chris was singing about I quickly start to lose interest. That song could be one of the best djent songs if it was mixed up to it's potential. :S

Thanks. It means a lot to hear that from you. :) I definitely agree with you about the mix of that album. I've found it a bit difficult to listen to since it came out last year, but I find the writing good enough to make me look (hear?) past it. The tone for this video was certainly a lot more meaty than what the guitarist uses. Maybe you should send him a copy of Cab Pack 7? ;)

Thanks. It means a lot to hear that from you. :) I definitely agree with you about the mix of that album. I've found it a bit difficult to listen to since it came out last year, but I find the writing good enough to make me look (hear?) past it. The tone for this video was certainly a lot more meaty than what the guitarist uses. Maybe you should send him a copy of Cab Pack 7? ;)

I thought Browne was using Line6 HD and real amps? I could be wrong. :)

Yeah, as far as I know he used the Pod XT on that album. I read somewhere a while ago that he doesn't like the sound of the Axe-FX; go figure.

Yeah that's what I heard also. People should use what ever makes them happy and gives them the tone they want. I heard Browne was happy that you can now get those older Line6 amp models for HD. Things like that make me shake my head but once again that's the tone they're after and that is the sound they have which sadly makes their music sound... well let's just say it could sound significantly better. I thought they used real amps for that record before you stated that by the way.

"The sound of the Axe-Fx" is a really interesting statement that sounds extremely ignorant. Obviously we're all Axe-Fx fans in here and I work for Fractal so I'm biased but there are hundreds of A/B comparisons between real amps and the Axe-Fx that prove there's no audible difference anymore. Stating that you don't like "the sound of the Axe-Fx" means that you don't like the sound of real amps. Preferring Line6 means you like the sound of something that's trying to sound like a real amp and failed at doing it properly.

Yeah that's what I heard also. People should use what ever makes them happy and gives them the tone they want. I heard Browne was happy that you can now get those older Line6 amp models for HD. Things like that make me shake my head but once again that's the tone they're after and that is the sound they have which sadly makes their music sound... well let's just say it could sound significantly better. I thought they used real amps for that record before you stated that by the way.

"The sound of the Axe-Fx" is a really interesting statement that sounds extremely ignorant. Obviously we're all Axe-Fx fans in here and I work for Fractal so I'm biased but there are hundreds of A/B comparisons between real amps and the Axe-Fx that prove there's no audible difference anymore. Stating that you don't like "the sound of the Axe-Fx" means that you don't like the sound of real amps. Preferring Line6 means you like the sound of something that's trying to sound like a real amp and failed at doing it properly.

If the sound in your head isn't that of a tube amp, then I guess there's no need to fork out the extra cash for an Axe-FX when any modeller can do what you're after. The type of tone that has become inextricable with the genre isn't exactly the sound of a vintage tube amp on the edge of breakup, and it's no one's right to decide whether that's legitimate or not. But yes, if it was my music then I think it would be better suited to something a bit meatier. To each his own. :encouragement:

John Mixed all the instruments and eyal levi mixed the vocals FYI.

Holy crap. That's some amazingly clean and detailed playing man. I'll let you know when I pick my jaw up off the floor....

I've never enjoyed Monuments, but I enjoyed this video. Came here hoping to hear some Port City goodness though.

BTW when did Monuments get Chris? I guess he moved on from the other 5 bands he joined since Periphery?

I'm curious as to how long it took you to transcribe and then remember that entire song! Nice!

I actually learnt it from a tab since it's written in an open tuning which I'm not familiar with. Learning it didn't actually take too long; most of it was learnt over a weekend. Most of the riffs are based on each other so there's a bit of overlap in their rhythmic patterns and whatnot. Getting it tight was another thing because of the intense right hand stuff going on, and probably took about a week in total to get it to where it was in this video.

Honestly, in retrospect this isn't quite as clean as I would have liked it to be (although I do appreciate all of the positive feedback you guys have given me) and I probably should have spent another week or so on it before recording it, but it's always nice to just get things done and out there so that you can feel like you've accomplished something. It's too easy to think everything is just not quite there yet and end up never finishing anything.

Good job dude! Nice gear. I do love the album though. The production fits the band really well I think. Also have appreciation for people doing awesome things with such cheap gear. (Bought my XT for 100 bucks.)

Back
Top Bottom