At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul cover, now with video. FW19 Diezel Herbert

kostein

Inspired
Hey dudes!

I never dedicated a whole video to one of my favorite amps, the Diezel Herbert. I grudgingly updated to FW19 and now it sounds MASSIVE. I've been meaning to cover this song for a while now and this year it will be its 20 year anniversary so I went ahead with it. It's a lot of fun to play but it also requires a LOT of endurance/stamina in your picking arm. It also takes a lot of practice to play it really tight.

All guitars and bass were recorded with the Axe-FX II FW19. Main tone is the Diezel Herbert model. I'm still using the Kalthallen 4x12 #4 cab that Cliff removed a few firmwares back :pride:. The bass is the FAS Bass with a 4x10 cab, and for the leads I used one of the stock presets, FAS Lead 1 or 2 (can't remember which one I used lol). Drums are as always, SD2 with The Metal Foundry.

Hope you enjoy! :)

P.S. Try not to laugh! Although people who have seen my FW12 showcase video will probably find it quite hard not to :mrgreen

Attachments

• Diezel Herbert f19 v01.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 4x12 Kalthannen #4.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Awesome as always, man. The only thing that was missing was your cat! No cameos this time around.

Sounds awesome, great job. Welcome to 19 & good luck tweaking all those presets, hope you upload them once done!

Great job, i really love all of your videos :D they are one of the reasons why i bought an axe fx II
Now i have some questions for you, i'm so curious:

1) why do you use 2 cabs instead of a single cab block in stereo/hi-res mode?
2) the rithm guitars are really two, or is it a single track enhanced in stereo?
3) if they are 2, why do you use those 2 cabs in parallel for each track, when the 2 tracks are panned L/R?
4) why did u use a post-eq and not an eq block in the patch?
5) what's in that glass you drink from????

Last edited:
Thanks guys, glad you like it :) I uploaded the preset along with the Kalthallen cab in the OP for your enjoyment. I haven't been tweaking much since updating, I've only tweaked my core presets so far. I'll get the tweaking bug soon enough though and I'll delve into other amps to see what I can come up with. Don't hold your breath though lol. Having too much fun playing through my Herbert preset :D

Great job, i really love all of your videos :D they are one of the reasons why i bought an axe fx II
Now i have some questions for you, i'm so curious:

1) why do you use 2 cabs instead of a single cab block in stereo/hi-res mode?
2) the rithm guitars are really two, or is it a single track enhanced in stereo?
3) if they are 2, why do you use those 2 cabs in parallel for each track, when the 2 tracks are panned L/R?
4) why did u use a post-eq and not an eq block in the patch?
5) what's in that glass you drink from????

1. There are a few reasons. The main reason I went that route though was for video purposes as it's far easier to illustrate visually how the signal chain goes. I felt that it would be a bit confusing for the non-Axe FX user to have one cab icon on screen with two cabs mentioned. Another reason is the way I'm used to tweaking. I got used to adding another individual cab instead of doing them in stereo. Don't ask why lol. I also have more individual control on the cabs themselves this way.

2. The rhythms are always two. You can't get that guitar wall of sound with just one guitar no matter what you do. You need at least two tracks (not duplicates, different performances) panned hard left/right. In some cases people use four tracks but then you'll have to be super tight in your playing.

3. I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I think I do. If I used cab 'A' for let's say the left channel and cab 'B' for the right channel the overall tone coming from your speakers would be totally different, because you would simply have two very distinct tones on each channel. Even if I did four channels, two with the 'A' cab and two with the 'B' cab and then panned 'A+B' hard left/right it would also sound totally different. When they're in parallel the Axe mixes them together in the box before the signal reaches its outputs so you when you play a note you get the blend of the two cabs in one distinct tone. Hope that helps.

4. Post EQ is used to make the guitars fit better in the mix. It's not meant to be used to shape the tone. I'd rather record the full spectrum of the tone and then if needed I'll EQ accordingly. You'll probably noticed in all of my videos that the post EQ is pretty much the same though. A high pass filter so the bass and kick drum have space to breath and a low pass filter from a certain point depending on the tone to eliminate higher frequencies for the cymbals/hi-hat to shine through. There's also a dip at about 2khz, as for some reason there's always fizz there. Having the dip makes the guitar tone smoother.

5. It's a potion of greater picking stamina of course, quite needed to play through this song :lol It's frape, if you wanna read more about it, here's the wiki link.

oK AMAZING and Fun as usual;
Waiting for your next showcase!
You will single Handedly bring back the KALTHALLEN CAb, as I used it due to you. Maybe you and I were the only 2 that liked it in the world but it had such a nice sharp cutting quality; Ive forgot I even had them locked up in a folder until now.

oK AMAZING and Fun as usual;
Waiting for your next showcase!
You will single Handedly bring back the KALTHALLEN CAb, as I used it due to you. Maybe you and I were the only 2 that liked it in the world but it had such a nice sharp cutting quality; Ive forgot I even had them locked up in a folder until now.

I don't know man, there's something about that cab when paired with the Cali 4x12 that makes the Diezel Herbert sound so good. I was kinda sad when Cliff removed it a few firmwares back but the good thing is that it's free to download so when I updated I had to get it. I hope that the Cali 4x12 never gets removed though as that's my go-to cab!

Thanks dudes! Here's an interesting fact :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3x6.jpg
    3x6.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 46
BTW - I Liked the post, but then I quickly Unliked it because I didn't want to kill the vibe. haha

Back
Top Bottom