At first I thought this was stupid...

Anyone who has built a DIY rat at least once knows it takes a bit more than just a few diodes to get that sound. Also, depending on the diode type the clipping begins at around 0.5V and it would require one to really dig the git hard to achieve that signal level, on some guitars it would probably be impossible. To me this is just another attempt to turn voodoo into money.

I've never liked the Rat, but that aside, this seems on the one hand kinda gimmicky, and on the other kinda useful, like if you're going to a jam session and they only have a clean Fender amp. Presto, still dirt available. Other then that, gimmicky.

I've never liked the Rat, but that aside, this seems on the one hand kinda gimmicky, and on the other kinda useful, like if you're going to a jam session and they only have a clean Fender amp. Presto, still dirt available. Other then that, gimmicky.
LOL this gave me a mental image of going to an open mic session, and all they have is a clean amp, with the organizers thinking it'll keep the performances sweet and mellow. Then Junior shows up with his Rat distortion cable...

Neat parlor trick I guess? Lets take a primary component of a players tone and put it into the one piece of gear that fails way more often than any other piece of the rig. Seems like a good idea...

I think it's super stupid and super cool at the same time

I always wanted that gibson cable with the build in recorder

Neat parlor trick I guess? Lets take a primary component of a players tone and put it into the one piece of gear that fails way more often than any other piece of the rig. Seems like a good idea...

LOL Now you're thinking like a businessman. If it goes out they'll have to buy another one right? This is really the worst guitar accessory I've seen in a while.

It seems similar to those little Vox headphone practice modules that plug into the output jack. There wasn't much to those in terms of components, so someone fitting a similar circuit into a cable was inevitable.

As poorly executed of an idea that was the Gibson Firebird X, I wonder how many decades away we are from someone pulling off a successful integration of guitar, preamp, and fx?

It seems similar to those little Vox headphone practice modules that plug into the output jack. There wasn't much to those in terms of components, so someone fitting a similar circuit into a cable was inevitable.

As poorly executed of an idea that was the Gibson Firebird X, I wonder how many decades away we are from someone pulling off a successful integration of guitar, preamp, and fx?

As long as we can't fit a quantum computer into a guitar there will always be an external device superior to integrated solutions that guitarist want in their quest for the holy grail sound.

Back
Top Bottom