Wish Assign Scene 1/2 Toggle to External Switch

Dave76

Inspired
Unless I'm overlooking it in the list, Scene 1/2 Toggle cannot be assigned to an external switch. It can be assigned to one of the built in 1-8 for F switches but not external. It would be immensely useful to be able to assign this to an external switch for the convenience of having a separate switch to mash on (for rhythm/lead, clean/dirty, or whatever you use Scene 1/2 Toggle for).

You can achieve Scene 1/8 Toggle if you assign an external switch to Scene Select. It´s an hidden feature and almost the same as Scene Toggle 1/2. I´ve built a switch pedal with two separate outputs, one connects to the AX8 and the other to my amp. This way I can switch the channel on the Amp and the Scene on the AX8 at the same time. Pretty useful and it works like a charm ;)

Wow, Enzo, I tried it and it works like you said. That seems weird, almost like a bug, but, hey, it's a good workaround! I guess my wish should now be "either implement a proper Scene 1/2 toggle or don't fix the Scene Select bug!" :)

Wow, Enzo, I tried it and it works like you said. That seems weird, almost like a bug, but, hey, it's a good workaround! I guess my wish should now be "either implement a proper Scene 1/2 toggle or don't fix the Scene Select bug!" :)

Not a bug, just a somewhat unintended consequence. Scene Select was intended for use via MIDI CC, where you send a MIDI CC (default is 34) and a value of 0-7 for the scene. Page 102 in the manual is a reference chart for what values will give what scenes. As it happens, the lowest value is always Scene 1, and the highest value is always Scene 8. A footswitch is simply toggling between the lowest and highest values.

Not a bug, just a somewhat unintended consequence. Scene Select was intended for use via MIDI CC, where you send a MIDI CC (default is 34) and a value of 0-7 for the scene. Page 102 in the manual is a reference chart for what values will give what scenes. As it happens, the lowest value is always Scene 1, and the highest value is always Scene 8. A footswitch is simply toggling between the lowest and highest values.
What I don't understand is why Scene Select would toggle between these values? In the absence of a CC, I'd expect it to maybe default to some value like 0 resulting in Scene 1 always being selected. I wouldn't expect it to toggle between 1 and 8.

What I don't understand is why Scene Select would toggle between these values? In the absence of a CC, I'd expect it to maybe default to some value like 0 resulting in Scene 1 always being selected. I wouldn't expect it to toggle between 1 and 8.

A footswitch in the pedal ports is like taking an expression pedal from 0 / heel down to 100% / toe down, but instantly. MIDI CC is just like an expression pedal, 0 - 100% (translated from 0-127 values). The Scene Select control option is looking for specific values, and your footswitch can send two of those values.

A footswitch in the pedal ports is like taking an expression pedal from 0 / heel down to 100% / toe down, but instantly. MIDI CC is just like an expression pedal, 0 - 100% (translated from 0-127 values). The Scene Select control option is looking for specific values, and your footswitch can send two of those values.
Makes sense but when I assign an expression pedal, I don't get any scene changes. Oh well. Just as long as it works, I'm good.

Makes sense but when I assign an expression pedal, I don't get any scene changes. Oh well. Just as long as it works, I'm good.

Interesting... when I assign an expression pedal to Scene Select (and have the pedal set to Continuous of course), I get like a hundred really fast scene changes as it loops through Scene 1 - 8 many times. Though that method is fairly useless for selecting a scene. :)

Ok, after playing around with it for a little while it turns out the scene 1/8 toggle workaround really doesn't work that great due to the AX8 seeing the external pedal as still toggled to scene 8 when switching presets (yet setting the new preset to scene 1 but not 8) and thus requiring a double press to toggle to 8 after switching (but only when going from scene 8).

In other words:
1. Select preset "Dirty" (or whatever).
2. Hit external Scene Select to toggle to Scene 8 for a lead boost.
3. Select preset "Clean".
4. Hit external Scene Select. Nothing happens (because presumably this extra tap is needed for the AX8 to see the external switch as back to Scene 1).
5. Hit external Scene Select again for a lead boost.

Note that without step 2 in that flow, the extra Scene Select is not required after switching scenes thus making it a bit confusing and hard to keep track of when playing.

Are you guys seeing the same thing? I tried with both momentary and latching switches each in the various configuration modes.

In any case, I return to my original wish. Just let me assign my external switch to the Scene 1/2 Toggle feature that I know and love!

yes...that need of a double switch once is the problem...i live with it and do use the ext.switch as toogle preset8/back

you can set up a lead boost with out switching scenes. you can set the switch to a modifier. but with the ax-8 the double tap of a switch is a hard thing to remember, and work around. a momentary switch to stand on for that boost works well.

Back
Top Bottom