As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us Cover

ruvann

Inspired
hey

made this with a Diezel amp
i usually compress higain guitars below 450HZ a little bit in Pro Tools but I tested the Multiband Compressor on the the AFX for the first time on this patch.
I'm not trying to nail the tones, I'm just making covers of songs with tones I created and like.
The drums don't sound too great though hehe :)

http://soundcloud.com/user2119577/an-ocean-between-us

NOTE: when playing this at home the intro actually sounded cool enough. when playing this on the crappy speakers at work the intro doesn't sound cool. Please excuse the problems with the mix. :roll:
I have only crap pc speakers at home hehe

Hope you enjoy
Cheers cheers

I more impressed with your downstroke technique that anything else...

Never heard this song before... great job!!!

mortega76 said:
I more impressed with your downstroke technique that anything else...

Never heard this song before... great job!!!

hehe thanks... I don't use my left hand too much cause of carpal tunnel syndrome so it's giving me a chance to get my picking hand up to scratch.... I suppose everything happens for a reason haha :mrgreen:

I'm not very happy with the quality of the drums and levels between guitars in some parts, but it's all just good fun ;)

shinodax said:
Woah sounds great! How many guitar layers are there?

hey it's just dual tracked. Mostly
One track hard left one track hard right and some parts like in the chorus there's 1 guitar hard left, 1 guitar hard right, and one center. :)

LOVE my Axe-FX :mrgreen: !

ruvann said:
shinodax said:
Woah sounds great! How many guitar layers are there?

hey it's just dual tracked. Mostly
One track hard left one track hard right and some parts like in the chorus there's 1 guitar hard left, 1 guitar hard right, and one center. :)

LOVE my Axe-FX :mrgreen: !

Cool. Axe fx produced the thickest sound in just 1 layer. When I record direct with my Axe Fx, it always sound muffled and different from the actual tone that I'm hearing. =( argh

[/quote]

Cool. Axe fx produced the thickest sound in just 1 layer. When I record direct with my Axe Fx, it always sound muffled and different from the actual tone that I'm hearing. =( argh[/quote]

I usually find that the mix in the DAW sounds little different than the bounced stereo mix. :? still can't figure it out
Do you use studio monitors?

On my little crappy PC speakers the treble gets boosted alot and bass gets cut so I always ended up cutting the treble and boosting bass & mids too much.
After listening to it on other systems and especially in the car I started boosting the treble and presence and lowered the master volume to around 5.3-5.9 and it cleared up ALOT.
Maybe even using the Multi Band Compressor also helped alot with the bass build up on palm mutes.
Only compressing everything below 450Hz, 2:1 ratio

oh and the a MUST HAVE for me is the T808 OD, drive block.
Drive at 0, tone according to taste (usually at about 3oclock), level at 5.00 and mix at 100%
Maybe even using the EQ there to cut the bass to about -1db.
Work great!

If I want it brighter I'll EQ it a little in Pro Tools. hehe

The guitars in these tracks are not EQ'd at all. Pure Axe-FX (and no EQ on the Axe-FX after the amp block, only little EQ in the drive block before the amp) :mrgreen:

ruvann said:
I usually find that the mix in the DAW sounds little different than the bounced stereo mix. :? still can't figure it out
Do you use studio monitors?

On my little crappy PC speakers the treble gets boosted alot and bass gets cut so I always ended up cutting the treble and boosting bass & mids too much.
After listening to it on other systems and especially in the car I started boosting the treble and presence and lowered the master volume to around 5.3-5.9 and it cleared up ALOT.
Maybe even using the Multi Band Compressor also helped alot with the bass build up on palm mutes.
Only compressing everything below 450Hz, 2:1 ratio

oh and the a MUST HAVE for me is the T808 OD, drive block.
Drive at 0, tone according to taste (usually at about 3oclock), level at 5.00 and mix at 100%
Maybe even using the EQ there to cut the bass to about -1db.
Work great!

If I want it brighter I'll EQ it a little in Pro Tools. hehe

The guitars in these tracks are not EQ'd at all. Pure Axe-FX (and no EQ on the Axe-FX after the amp block, only little EQ in the drive block before the amp) :mrgreen:

Yeah the mix in the DAW is different after the mix down. I don know either. Im using a Shure SRH240 to monitor and play my axe fx which is really crappy.

Hmm. If that's the case. I should really try your way of tweaking but it's really tedious. When I transfer it to my Iphone, everything sounds so dull and muffled. LOL!

Thanks for the tip. Most of my presets are similar to yours. Comp , Drive , Amp , Cab , PEQ etc. Maybe I should get a proper studio monitors. Where do you normally place the MBC?

it sucks having to tweak this way, but it really proved to work. What I did to test it is to make a patch and keep boosting the treble and stuff to get it bright, even with an shelf filter EQ in Pro Tools, 1db at a time and then a made a CD with like 10 tracks.
Track 1 would be boosted 1db
Track 2 boosted 2db
Track 3, 3db, etc.
and listened to it in the car to hear what level of treble sounds right outside and then listened to that track again in Pro Tools.
Now I know more or less how the treble should sound in Pro Tools, for it to sound more or less right outside.

The divoom speakers has an eq on it so I actually now cut the use the EQ to get a little close to the sound outside my room...
It really sucks, but until I can get monitors and especially treat the room acoustically, i don't really have a choice :)

I try to keep the chain as close to a real life setup hehe I would normally put in a multi band compressor in Pro Tools after recording the AFX, so in the Axe-fx I put the MBC dead last, after everything else.

I want to open up a studio later so i try to simulate everything as if I recorded a real amp and then did all the normal processing :mrgreen:
Just to get myself familiar as possible with the workflow.
That's also why i use the Redwirez cabs :D messing around with the mic positions and getting to know them hehe

Hope it makes all makes sense haha hope it helps

Cheers cheers

ruvann said:
it sucks having to tweak this way, but it really proved to work. What I did to test it is to make a patch and keep boosting the treble and stuff to get it bright, even with an shelf filter EQ in Pro Tools, 1db at a time and then a made a CD with like 10 tracks.
Track 1 would be boosted 1db
Track 2 boosted 2db
Track 3, 3db, etc.
and listened to it in the car to hear what level of treble sounds right outside and then listened to that track again in Pro Tools.
Now I know more or less how the treble should sound in Pro Tools, for it to sound more or less right outside.

The divoom speakers has an eq on it so I actually now cut the use the EQ to get a little close to the sound outside my room...
It really sucks, but until I can get monitors and especially treat the room acoustically, i don't really have a choice :)

I try to keep the chain as close to a real life setup hehe I would normally put in a multi band compressor in Pro Tools after recording the AFX, so in the Axe-fx I put the MBC dead last, after everything else.

I want to open up a studio later so i try to simulate everything as if I recorded a real amp and then did all the normal processing :mrgreen:
Just to get myself familiar as possible with the workflow.
That's also why i use the Redwirez cabs :D messing around with the mic positions and getting to know them hehe

Hope it makes all makes sense haha hope it helps

Cheers cheers

Woah! Thanks!. I should really try out that 10 track method. It should work for me since we are almost in the same situation. :lol: Althought it's a little tedious.

Well I insert a MBC after my amp block and Im not experienced with MBC. :cry: What I read on the wiki is to put after the drive so I just put it there. And the settings are all messed up. Completely noob with the settings. lolol!

I need to get some proper monitors before getting the Redwirez Cab. No point getting it when it will still suck with my headphone. hahah!

Cheers!

I read some tips from Andy Sneap and he said he pretty much always uses a multi band compressor in Pro tools (Waves C4) after recording guitar, just compressing round about 450Hz and below... it works amazingly!

That's also where I read what mic position he loves using and chose that position with the Redwirez cabs! works great!
I also got some of his settings he uses on the Peavey 5150. It works awesome in the Axe-FX

Here's what i did with the MBC
I put the ratio to 2:1 for the first band
Freq 1 to 450Hz
Freq 2 doesn't matter.

The ratio of the other bands to 1:1 i think (lowest possible ratio) and thresholds all the way up so it's not compressing at all.

Attack about 9.97
Release about 9.95

peak detection

And the threshold of the first band i start all the way up and start lowering it slowly until i see a little movement when palm muting.
works amazing for tightening up the palm mutes! :mrgreen:

It is very tedious to tweak settings this way... But by now i know, if its TOO bright on my speakers it's probably just right outside :lol:

Hope it helps.
Cheers cheers

Cool. Andy Sneap sure have one of the best tips for mixing metal stuff. I usually roam around Ultimate Metal forum to look for some tips and tricks.

Thanks for the tip once again. Really appreciated. I will try out the settings with my AFX after my dinner. haha! I think I will purchase the Redwirez MesaRecitifier impulse later on as well. Does it sounds much better with the Redwirez than the stock impulse? I hope it works great for me. lol.

Btw do you use MBC for guitar in both DAW and AFX or just AFX?

Cheers!

shinodax said:
Cool. Andy Sneap sure have one of the best tips for mixing metal stuff. I usually roam around Ultimate Metal forum to look for some tips and tricks.

Thanks for the tip once again. Really appreciated. I will try out the settings with my AFX after my dinner. haha! I think I will purchase the Redwirez MesaRecitifier impulse later on as well. Does it sounds much better with the Redwirez than the stock impulse? I hope it works great for me. lol.

Btw do you use MBC for guitar in both DAW and AFX or just AFX?

Cheers!

Andy Sneap rocks! and it's super cool that he gives away some tips hehe

I LOVE the mesarectifier cab...
I played around with some stock cabs again last night, and i think that the stock cabs sounds great, but I like being able to play around with the mic positions.
I pretty much always use the MesaRectifier SM57 CapEdge 1" for the higain stuff... maybe mix in the back of the cab or a 421 capedge 1"

I enjoy pretending that there's a real cab in another room and an assistant is changing the mic position. :lol: :mrgreen:

I actually told a friend that he should use that mic position for his band on stage and WOW did it sound awesome!

So it's not that the stock cabs are not good, they're great! I use them for all the other clean and crunchy stuff, but it just feels like having all the different mic positions, you can really get the frequency response you're after, like it's more predictable. Things like the proximity effect and using the mic off-axis, etc.

I normally use a MBC only in the DAW cause I'm still a bit scared of recording 'destructively' :roll: , but I actually just tried it out in the AFX and it sounded awesome. I'm still gonna continue to record without the MBC on the AFX and rather do it in Pro Tools, but i'll definitely activate the MBC on the AFX when I'm just jamming around and stuff.

Cheers cheers

Yeah! He rocks! Never go wrong with his tips.

The stock cabs are actually good enough but sometimes I need to tweak a little deeper to get the tone I wanted.
Mesa Recitifier cabs are the way to go for metal. :lol: :lol: Ok I will try out the Redwirez cab later on. It might just works better for me.

I personally think that the stock cabs works great for the clean , crunch etc sounds I wanted. I'm particularly picky about the higher gain stuff cos Im focusing on mainly the metal genre. =) Did purchase the whole Redwirez bundle or just the MesaRecitifier?

Cheers! :D :D

shinodax said:
Yeah! He rocks! Never go wrong with his tips.

The stock cabs are actually good enough but sometimes I need to tweak a little deeper to get the tone I wanted.
Mesa Recitifier cabs are the way to go for metal. :lol: :lol: Ok I will try out the Redwirez cab later on. It might just works better for me.

I personally think that the stock cabs works great for the clean , crunch etc sounds I wanted. I'm particularly picky about the higher gain stuff cos Im focusing on mainly the metal genre. =) Did purchase the whole Redwirez bundle or just the MesaRecitifier?

Cheers! :D :D

You know there's a free cab up for grabs from their website
A Masrhall 1960A
http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home

But yeah I bought the whole bundle. Couldn't resist haha
But if you want to start out with just one for metal stuff, i'd recommend the Mesa Rectifier, with that mic position that Andy uses. my favourite.

But like Andy said, a person can follow EQ tips and everything but it works so much better just to tweak in the direction of what you want to hear. and with all the different mic positions in the redwirez cabs you can change the totally just by changing the mic position, so less need for EQ :D

I think i've got like 2 clean patches, 3 crunchy patches and like 20 hi gain patches haha And almost all of them use the same redwirez cab hehe

:) \m/
Enjoy
Cheers

Yeah I got that free cabs from Redwirez. When I downloaded it, I was like WOAH. So much selection and no idea which to start on 1st. Okay maybe the SM57. hahah. The whole bundle will not be ideal for me right now. Just get the stuff I need and be done with it.

I got almost the same amount of preset as you. So much different high gain stuff and all messy orders. Some of the ambience presets are so beautiful and I cant afford to overwrite it. hahahah!

Let me order the MesaRecitifier Cab now. I had enough of all the hype and I need to try it out right now. :evil: :lol: :lol:

\m/
Cheers!

shinodax said:
Yeah I got that free cabs from Redwirez. When I downloaded it, I was like WOAH. So much selection and no idea which to start on 1st. Okay maybe the SM57. hahah. The whole bundle will not be ideal for me right now. Just get the stuff I need and be done with it.

I got almost the same amount of preset as you. So much different high gain stuff and all messy orders. Some of the ambience presets are so beautiful and I cant afford to overwrite it. hahahah!

Let me order the MesaRecitifier Cab now. I had enough of all the hype and I need to try it out right now. :evil: :lol: :lol:

\m/
Cheers!

hey, i bought myself some monnitors friday and tweak some of my main patches a little.
But almost every single time (about 95%) i tweak a higain patch i end up using the MesaRectifier SM57 CapEdge 2"... Sometimes not even mixing in any other mics. :) hehe

If i only had that one IR i'd be happy :mrgreen:

Let me know how it works for you if/when you buy it

Cheers Cheers

Hey,

Cool. Which monitors you've bought? And what difference do you hear when using ur old monitoring and the new studio monitors?

I bought the MesaRectiifer IR last week. It was great! I ended up using the CapEdge 2" as well because I felt that the 1" was a little too harsh for me. The 2" works great in terms of the punch and had more balls in it. :lol: :lol:

I had no regrets buying it. It gives me a more specific amp miking IR than the stock IRs. I was using a Mesa triple recto previously and had to mike it up. I always use Cap Edge 1" to 2" which works best. And with SM57 as well.

Cheers!

shinodax said:
Hey,

Cool. Which monitors you've bought? And what difference do you hear when using ur old monitoring and the new studio monitors?

I bought the MesaRectiifer IR last week. It was great! I ended up using the CapEdge 2" as well because I felt that the 1" was a little too harsh for me. The 2" works great in terms of the punch and had more balls in it. :lol: :lol:

I had no regrets buying it. It gives me a more specific amp miking IR than the stock IRs. I was using a Mesa triple recto previously and had to mike it up. I always use Cap Edge 1" to 2" which works best. And with SM57 as well.

Cheers!

I bought a pair of Samson Resolv 80a monitors. Compared to my PC speakers, I could instantly hear how much the treble was actually boosted on the pc speakers. ALOT!!
And also the bass end. it was very sloppy sounding on the pc speakers, so a person tries to compensate for everything but it's impossible. there's just too much that's wrong.

It's not the best monitors but i do find they translate quite well. I made a rough mix of song the day after i got them, spent about an hour mixing and getting to know the monitors, and I was so stoked with the results. From the first mix it sounded WAY better than any of the mixes made on the PC speakers. It sounds like something i could actually listen to in my car (I actually do listen to it in my car, trying to find problems) :D I'll post links to the song when it's done.
The band still needs to record vocals.

And best of all... The axe-fx sounds EVEN better than it used to! :mrgreen: I fell in love all over again :mrgreen:

The Mesa IR rocks! i still want to try out the Impedance curves. Really wanna hear what it sounds like!

Enjoy
Cheers cheers

Woah. Very cool. I went over to my bandmate's house to record some stuff. And I found out that with his studio monitors, it sounds quite thin and little headroom as compared to my headphone. But that is definitely the case, however I find it quite disappointing.
Having to try on the monitor really makes the axe fx blends in the mix quite well. I don know if that is part of my preset or what. lol

Right now Im thinking whether to get another guitar or monitors. I only have 1 guitar which is in Drop C tuning and really need a standard tuning guitar to practice some improv stuff. But on the other hand, monitors for the axe fx is also very tempting. haha!
Lets see which one I will end up with 1st. Either one is fine with me.

Im looking forward to your latest mix with the monitors. =) and whats the impedance curve thing for the IR? sorry Im not very good with IR stuff.

Cheers! :D

Back
Top Bottom