Artist Patches?

Coldsummer

Experienced
I know a lot of gear snobs will turn their noses up at this but imo some good quality artist patches would be a great addition to the AFX arsenal and be a great marketing tool. I'm thinking of people like Steve Vai, Neal Schon, John Petrucci and Alex Lifeson. Maybe configured for single coil and humbuckers so they sound like they are supposed to.

I know it's been done before, and there are plenty of reasons why it wouldn't work but I'm just saying, look beyond that.

I agree as well. Although I create my own patches I always wondered what it would be like to play on my favorite guitar players rigs. Now that the artist roster has so many of my favorite guitar players with the same equipment. I'd love to try their patches!!! Even as building block to tweak for myself.

Don't see any logic in being "against" that. Why not - it would be cool even just to investigate as mentioned above

Make it just like how Toontrack sells producer presets for Superior (the Andy Sneap Metal Foundry presets are spectacular ).

I DEF would be willing to pay for preset packs.

I have some of Tosin Abasi's patches from when he borrowed my axe for an Australian tour. Fun to play with, but I never actually use them for anything other than mucking about. I much prefer to make my own to suite my own playing.

Well paying came up before, that's not what I would want. Free is the way to go. What would you offer Vai for 2 of his patches? Come on-free

I'm always interested to see how artists dial in their patches. What amps/cabs they use and then what advanced parameters they tweak.

Would be cool to see how Andy Timmons would tweak his Axe.. But i would probably end up using my own patches. Never tried a patch that i did not tweak somehow..

All the mentioned artists use their II as FX unit only and the basic sound / color / clean / distortion etc. comes from actual amps, what would you do with only the FX ?
Moreover, Petrucci for example uses only one single preset on his II and all the rest comes from a lot of pedals and lately he returned using a TriAxis paired with a 2:90…so ?

Exactly..... A lot of these artists don't use the amp modeling. Just the FX.

A cool approach would be to do something like TCE does with the tone prints and sit the artists down and design a preset that maybe resembles their tone/effects that they agree to release in AEx.

As mentioned above, most artists don't set up entire presets, but tend to incorporate the axe-Fx into their main rig. Also, even if they did go for creating their own presets, the likelihood that those presets would work for anyone else is minimal. This has been proven with axechange. I've been dissapointed far too often by uploaded presets done by some of the best-known users. Additionally, even many of the existing factory presets just don't cut it for 'my' use. It's such an individual thing. It's fine to use other presets for ideas, structure & layout. I do that often. Essentially creating your own presets will yield the best results IMO.

I was thinking more of Artist approved, or Artist designed patches rather than straight copies of album tones. The toneprint example is a good one. More than likely they would be designed by the artist's rig designer/producer/roadie etc but that's a different story.

Like I said, a thousand reasons against. I suppose if I'm being honest I'd like a short cut to Neal Schon's Red 13 era tones.

Yes, it would be great to have the best axe preset creating guru for a particular style sit down with an artist and .create something. Just i don't see it being fast or easy, and some compensation might be expected. I would love it in any case. Btw, i just had john wescott add a parallel switch on my bridge pickup. Wow. So much difference and so needed when compared to having the axe with only humbuckers.

My biggest hope, if not the artist presets, would at least be a guru explaining, one artist a month, how to dial in the sound with one or
Guitars/pickup settings, etc covered as well. Again, i don't expect it. But it would be amazing to have any of these aids.

Back
Top Bottom