Article: FM3 Footswitch Designs and Concepts (Work In Progress, Video Soon)

Thanks for this article, Chris. Like others, I was concerned about the "three footswitches only" thing but your article has cleared up any misgivings I had about this.

I suspect I will get an external switch as a supplement, but I will be very happy with the FM3 as it is. The footswitch logic is really rather elegant and I'm especially pleased with the toggle and smart bypass functionality (for example).

Thanks again for your hard work - I've always found your tutorials to be helpful.

@chris great document, I've gone though it a couple times and I grasp more each read.

One thing I'm trying to determine if I can do, open to anyone's input/suggestion.
Can a single switch perform 2 functions via a single 'tap' (such as Scene 1/2 toggle as well as changing the View)?

Here is my use case:
I need 2 presets (clean and dirty) and each preset needs a boost (I usually do this by creating 2 scenes in each preset)
So would be pretty simple:
Button 1 (tap) - Clean Preset (scene 1 is normal, scene 2 adds a boost)
Button 2 (tap) - Dirty Preset
(scene 1 is normal, scene 2 adds a boost)
Button 3 (tap) - Scene 1/2 toggle

Let's say I tap Button 2, I'm on my Dirty preset....I then tap button 3 for a solo.
I would then like to tap Buttons 1 or 2 for other functions (let's say to turn on a phaser).
Then when I tap button 3 to go back to Scene 1, I'm back to my Dirty preset with no boost or phaser.

Can this be done (without adding an external switch or using 'hold' functions).
Using 'hold' is tough for me since I'm singing and playing guitar (and mixing the band, and calling out songs, and trying to remember lyrics, and trying to remember if I closed the garage when I left).

Can a single switch perform 2 functions via a single 'tap' (such as Scene 1/2 toggle as well as changing the View)?
As long as the other thing is only very a layout+view change: yes.

For example, I have on my PRESETS layout, every preset selection switch set to load up Layout 3, View 1 on my FC6 whenever I tap the switch. When I select a preset, my FC6 will be immediately dropped into my EFFECTS layout. This is super handy, live, since I'm usually calling up a preset to perform and not preset surfing.

Let's say I tap Button 2, I'm on my Dirty preset....I then tap button 3 for a solo.
I would then like to tap Buttons 1 or 2 for other functions (let's say to turn on a phaser).
Then when I tap button 3 to go back to Scene 1, I'm back to my Dirty preset with no boost or phaser.
You could, on tapping Button 3 to toggle scenes, have a new view or layout on the FM3 loaded that had button 1 and 2 do effects engage/bypass. But you'd always have that view+layout load. If you tapped button 3 again to go back to scene 1 it would put you in that layout+view that had button 1 and 2 be effect toggles.

Optionally, you could set button 3 tap to take you to scene 2 and button 3 hold to take you back to scene 1 and then you could have the behavior your descibe because the layout+view loading can be different for the button tap and button hold actions. It would mean leaving your solo scene to return to your non-solo scene was a hold action though. That may or may not be ammenable to you.

As long as the other thing is only very a layout+view change: yes.

For example, I have on my PRESETS layout, every preset selection switch set to load up Layout 3, View 1 on my FC6 whenever I tap the switch. When I select a preset, my FC6 will be immediately dropped into my EFFECTS layout. This is super handy, live, since I'm usually calling up a preset to perform and not preset surfing.

You could, on tapping Button 3 to toggle scenes, have a new view or layout on the FM3 loaded that had button 1 and 2 do effects engage/bypass. But you'd always have that view+layout load. If you tapped button 3 again to go back to scene 1 it would put you in that layout+view that had button 1 and 2 be effect toggles.

Optionally, you could set button 3 tap to take you to scene 2 and button 3 hold to take you back to scene 1 and then you could have the behavior your descibe because the layout+view loading can be different for the button tap and button hold actions. It would mean leaving your solo scene to return to your non-solo scene was a hold action though. That may or may not be ammenable to you.

Understood all these points, thank you.

Sounds like to get all of these actions as 'tap', I'd need to attach an external switch.

Understood all these points, thank you.

Sounds like to get all of these actions as 'tap', I'd need to attach an external switch.
I don't think you'd need an external footswitch, but you might what it provides.

It's so flexible that I'm not even sure I covered your use case correctly. There might be a way to do it that I just haven't realized.

Can this be done (without adding an external switch or using 'hold' functions).
Are these the only 2 presets you use? I think this workflow would work. Not only can you gain extra switches while on your “boost” scenes (could be different FX for clean and dirty boosts, too), but you also free up a switch by using switch 1 to toggle between your clean and dirty presets.

View 1 (clean preset)
1- Go to Dirty Preset and link to view 3
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 2 and link to view 2

View 2 (clean preset boosted)
1- spare/FX
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 1 and link to view 1

View 3 (dirty preset)
1- Go to Clean Preset and link to view 1
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 2 and link to view 4

View 2 (dirty preset boosted)
1- spare/FX
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 1 and link to view 3

Are these the only 2 presets you use? I think this workflow would work. Not only can you gain extra switches while on your “boost” scenes (could be different FX for clean and dirty boosts, too), but you also free up a switch by using switch 1 to toggle between your clean and dirty presets.

View 1 (clean preset)
1- Go to Dirty Preset and link to view 3
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 2 and link to view 2

View 2 (clean preset boosted)
1- spare/FX
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 1 and link to view 1

View 3 (dirty preset)
1- Go to Clean Preset and link to view 1
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 2 and link to view 4

View 2 (dirty preset boosted)
1- spare/FX
2- spare/FX
3- Go to Scene 1 and link to view 3

You may have it covered! Very creative!!
I need to look at this with a fresh set of eyes (and brain).
Yes I only need 2 presets.
I'm assuming that last View is supposed to be View 4 (not View 2 again)?

One big assumption (I believe) is if I'm in Clean Boost, I'm always going back to Clean regular...and if I'm in Dirty boost, I'm always going back to Dirty regular. That is a correct assumption (I always 'go back that way'), but just want to confirm I understand the workflow?

You may have it covered! Very creative!!
I need to look at this with a fresh set of eyes (and brain).
Yes I only need 2 presets.
I'm assuming that last View is supposed to be View 4 (not View 2 again)?

One big assumption (I believe) is if I'm in Clean Boost, I'm always going back to Clean regular...and if I'm in Dirty boost, I'm always going back to Dirty regular. That is a correct assumption (I always 'go back that way'), but just want to confirm I understand the workflow?
Yep! That last one should be view 4. Must’ve been a copy/paste error. And yes, any time you switch presets, you’d be going to the unboosted scene.

Back
Top Bottom