Article: FM3 Footswitch Designs and Concepts (Work In Progress, Video Soon)

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
ok. after spending 6 hours writing this, i'm not even done. but i want to share it already hahaha.

there aren't any pictures yet. i'm not sure if i'm going to break it up on pages or different posts yet. to me, it makes sense to have this all in one spot, but we'll see. maybe i'll remove the Scenes and Channels part, but i like it in context. i don't know yet.

if you enjoy blocks of text, have at it. but i'll update this once i'm done writing the remaining sections (adding controllers basically). then i'll add images and links and stuff. then i'll use this as the basis of a video. the video will start with the Footswitch setup and not go into the detail about Scenes, etc.

i've begun updating this site recently, but many things are still out of date. i need to add the FM3 to the front page, etc. etc. i know. also, my site is running super slow right now. no idea why. even the backend is death. maybe it's just my current internet connection.

anyway, this will be edited and added to heavily soon. please just take it for what it is now. i wanted to get this info out to those who have the FM3 now and aren't sure how to begin setting up the footswitches.

https://axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/

Thanks Chris! I scanned the document looking at parts that better explained the Channels versus X/Y switching of my old AX8 and now totally get the idea of views.
I would still prefer a few more switches (out of convenience) but the FM3 is fully capable of doing what I want with the exception of requiring an expression pedal which I can't live without.

i just added a temporary table of contents with links as well as some horizontal rules to help break it up without images being there yet.

This is the guy (Chris) that got me started early on. Great videos. Many were given away at first. Very precise, yet easy to understand. Chris and then later
Cooper Carter......They got many of us started long ago. Looking forward to these.
Of course, Moke, 2112, Austin Buddy, Fremen, and all the rest are great for presets and so much more. So many great contributors!

This is the guy (Chris) that got me started early on. Great videos. Many were given away at first. Very precise, yet easy to understand. Chris and then later
Cooper Carter......They got many of us started long ago. Looking forward to these.
Of course, Moke, 2112, Austin Buddy, Fremen, and all the rest are great for presets and so much more. So many great contributors!
+1 here

Chris' original videos were well worth it when I first received my AX8 in 2016

Also purchased Fremen's presets and visited the patch exchange all which put the AX8 over the top, especially with the firmware updates in the 3 plus years of use. Fantastic forum!

better explained the Channels versus X/Y switching
Just FYI, there really is no difference other than count... Think of X/Y as A/B, then add /C/D. The X/Y is basically 2 channels instead of 4.

Although if you're using midi to select channels the behavior is a bit different since X/Y is a simple CC Toggle whereas channels are done more like scenes.

Great stuff, Chris. Thanks. Looking forward to checking out an FM3 over here. No doubt your hard work will be very valuable. Cheers.

ok. after spending 6 hours writing this, i'm not even done. but i want to share it already hahaha.

there aren't any pictures yet. i'm not sure if i'm going to break it up on pages or different posts yet. to me, it makes sense to have this all in one spot, but we'll see. maybe i'll remove the Scenes and Channels part, but i like it in context. i don't know yet.

if you enjoy blocks of text, have at it. but i'll update this once i'm done writing the remaining sections (adding controllers basically). then i'll add images and links and stuff. then i'll use this as the basis of a video. the video will start with the Footswitch setup and not go into the detail about Scenes, etc.

i've begun updating this site recently, but many things are still out of date. i need to add the FM3 to the front page, etc. etc. i know. also, my site is running super slow right now. no idea why. even the backend is death. maybe it's just my current internet connection.

anyway, this will be edited and added to heavily soon. please just take it for what it is now. i wanted to get this info out to those who have the FM3 now and aren't sure how to begin setting up the footswitches.

https://axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/

First of all thanks for all the work.

Kid of ot: It's funny how I'm kind of obnoxious about who is who in this forum. Ive lurked for a bit after the release of the 3 (and sometimes before) but without paying that much attention to know that you are The "axe FX tutorials " (the same way that Justin York was THAT Justin York haha)

this is great -thanks! Based on this I think I'm going to need to find a couple small outboard switches to pair with it if I'm going to use it. In the heat of the moment not sure I want to do as much mental gymnastics as it sounds like it would take with just 3.

this is great -thanks! Based on this I think I'm going to need to find a couple small outboard switches to pair with it if I'm going to use it. In the heat of the moment not sure I want to do as much mental gymnastics as it sounds like it would take with just 3.
i'll be writing that section next. then FCs and other midi controllers.

This cleared up so much for me. I completely have more understanding about how the switches function. Thanks for putting this together Chris. Very well done.

Back
Top Bottom