Art tube Preamp

Yeah, the lack of gain without also increasing the noise floor significantly.
Thanks - I only tried it with a handful of mics and was surprised with the results (no audible noise in the tests I did), though it was with close-mic’d sources. I stopped using it though because many presets didn’t have enough CPU power to run the chain I wanted on the mics (compressor + EQ + verb …).

I got rid of all that shit (Art Tube Preamp, Radley Harmonic Converger, BBE Maximizer, etc) together with the pedals and all the analog rack preamps, when I got my first Axe-FX Standard, back in 2006. A 8U rack and all that external paraphernalia was minimized to 2U.

Last edited:
The Kingsley Page is a serious tube sweetner from clean to mild OD, and if it works well in front of a good tube amp (which it does), it also will work well in front of the FM3.

Add analog warmth to your Boss GT-Pro!!😅
View attachment 104288
All jokes aside, its ridiculous to laugh at the "boss gt pro" and pretend like the Fractal isn't a "much better version" of the same thing. Much much better, but here we have the same conversation. "Adding analog warmth" (or any "organic" preamp/ post FM unit) to a DIGITAL device. DIGITAL.

As an aside, there's are people who are really into modding analog gear to make it spec better. Some higher end ART mic pres get mods to make them quieter, cleaner, etc. Hard to say how much is placebo fx, lots of that in this gear world.

I have a cheap M-Audio Mic Pre that sounds clean/quiet/full-range (DMP3) which is a versatile front end, but doesn't add anything other than gain. I have one of those ART mic pres (TUBE MP), useful to have around. Bass sounds pretty nice through it. But again, for the FM3, everything I need is inside the FM3.

All jokes aside, its ridiculous to laugh at the "boss gt pro" and pretend like the Fractal isn't a "much better version" of the same thing. Much much better, but here we have the same conversation. "Adding analog warmth" (or any "organic" preamp/ post FM unit) to a DIGITAL device. DIGITAL.
You realize that as soon as you run something analog into something digital it becomes digital, right?

All you are doing is introducing pre-EQ and gain, all of which can also be done inside the box ;)

You realize that as soon as you run something analog into something digital it becomes digital, right?

All you are doing is introducing pre-EQ and gain, all of which can also be done inside the box ;)
Okay so I guess the millions upon millions of times people talk about analog warmth, but we listen on digital devices... We should inform them they could have just "gained it ITB."

Okay so I guess the millions upon millions of times people talk about analog warmth, but we listen on digital devices... We should inform them they could have just "gained it ITB."
People also talk about “sounding digital”…

Just because people say things doesn't make those things true.

"Warmth" is mostly about EQ and soft clipping.

In any case, what I said in my previous post is 100% true. When you take an analog signal and send it into a digital audio device it passes through an A/D (Analog to Digital) converter.

Any "analog-ness" is now digitized...

People also talk about “sounding digital”…

Just because people say things doesn't make those things true.

"Warmth" is mostly about EQ and soft clipping.

In any case, what I said in my previous post is 100% true. When you take an analog signal and send it into a digital audio device it passes through an A/D (Analog to Digital) converter.

Any "analog-ness" is now digitized...
I am looking for another new high end reverb pedal. I am noticing a lot of them (all of them?) list "analog dry through" as a feature, stating "your analog signal will never be digitized," and "your analog signal will remain zero latency." I guess they didnt get the memo.

I was recording to tape this weekend, not gonna get into some forum discussion but it is definitely its own thing. I usually do 96khz digital recording. (another reason Why I would prefer an analog dry thru on the Fractal units).

I am looking for another new high end reverb pedal. I am noticing a lot of them (all of them?) list "analog dry through" as a feature, stating "your analog signal will never be digitized," and "your analog signal will remain zero latency." I guess they didnt get the memo.

I was recording to tape this weekend, not gonna get into some forum discussion but it is definitely its own thing. I usually do 96khz digital recording. (another reason Why I would prefer an analog dry thru on the Fractal units).
When bypassed, then the signal won't be digitized. That is where the latency is coming from and the reason they include that feature...

As soon as you engage the effect your analog signal IS digitized and I'll bet the manufacturer tells you how great their (digital) effects sound, too, right?

In any case, I'm out... Do what you want.

There are several important aspects to the analog dry path feature -- and some appear to be conflating them.

In the case of reverbs with an analog dry path, this is offered because of the latency of the ADC. It is not just when the reverb is bypassed, it's the dry path (which is accessed in the wet/dry mix) which is not converted. Players who run their time-based FX through a parallel path (which is more common with send FX like reverb) need an analog dry path to avoid phasing conflicts from the latency of ADC and DAC.

Also, as has been described here several times, complaints of gear sounding "digital" are often vague and either refer to older gear where ADC wasn't as swanky as it is in modern gear, or modeling and fx sounding $#!++`/ because the DSP was crude, low-rent.

Sometimes people spend LOTS of money on gear that will boost a signal cleanly/colorlessly. Sometimes people like a specific color. I'm still relatively new to the FM3, but with the various dynamics and EQ that are on tap, and how clean the inputs are, it seems quite capable of producing all kinds of feel/response/color/shape options.

Back
Top Bottom