ART SLA2

rgh96gt

I have an Ultra, an Art SLA2, an 8 ohm 2x12 cabinet and a 4 ohm 2x12 cabinet. I tried connecting the 8ohm into the Art and then went from the 8ohm cabinet into the 4ohm. I have it bridged. A friend who runs sound said connecting the speakers this way will eventually destroy the power amp. What would be the best way to hook all of this up? I am new to the Fractal world and would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance.

You friend is right.
Run the amp in stereo mode and connect each cab to a separate output of the amp. Use both output of your Axe (Left/Right) into your amp's input so the left output of Axe goes into the left input of the amp and the right output of your Axe goes into the right input of your amp.
This way your amp will be safe and sound.

You friend is right.
Run the amp in stereo mode and connect each cab to a separate output of the amp. Use both output of your Axe (Left/Right) into your amp's input so the left output of Axe goes into the left input of the amp and the right output of your Axe goes into the right input of your amp.
This way your amp will be safe and sound.

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it.

Running your SLA2 in bridged mode means that it expects a 8ohm speaker to be connected.

Linking your 8ohm cab to your 4 ohm cab (i.e running them in parallel) means that the resulting cab impedance reduced below the rated value of your amp which usually leads to problems.

However, I am not sure that running in stereo with mis-matched cab impedance is a good idea as this causes an imbalance. Even when allowing for different speaker efficiencies, there will also be a volume difference so one side of the amp will need to be cranked more than the other. I'm also not sure if this may cause other more fundamental issues with the amp too.

I am no expert on the mismatched cab impedance and stand to be corrected, but... hoping somebody more technical can add their comments to this.

The difference in the cabinets impedance will not cause any harm to the amplifier, each channel is an individual mono amplifier, they only share the power source. Each channel will accept any impedance equal or greater than 4ohm. Of course the maximum RMS power will be lower for the cab with the higher impedance but this will only be an inconvenience if maximum power is needed. The two cabs might use speakers with different sensitivity, so in some cases a cab with a higher sensitivity speakers can sound as loud as a cab with lower sensitivity speakers at a higher power.
The bottom line is that it's safe to use each cab on separate channels of the Art SLA2.

Back
Top Bottom