ART SLA-2 vs. cheap solutions?

What about the Carvin DCM200L ? Current Sale Price of USD 269.00 seems pretty good.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/poweramps/

The DCM200L was not available when I was looking for poweramps in Q3 2009. I was talking to one of their engineers via email at that time, but nothing in 1RU size with lower power (to drive a 1x12 cab) was available then. At that time their engineer said their other offerings were too powerful for my needs.

I ended up going for the ART SLA-2 based on questions to many of the folks here on the forum. Very happy with my choice soundwise, but I think the Carvin is lighter and shallower than the ART - it all adds up if you include a Furman Power Conditioner (quite heavy) + the Axe FX (which is actually quite light). The Banana Plugs for the ART can be a bit of a pain too. Still considering selling my ART and checking out the Carvin DCM200L, or maybe even going to a FRFR solution.

Cheers

I have the Carvin. Love it so far. I haven't had any difficulty in getting any patch to sound good. No majoring eq-ing needed. I have it in front of my Marshall 4x12. I set it up originally in stereo. I had the Carvin outs cranked all the way, couldn't get the Axe output past 11 0'clock without hurting my ears. Plenty of headroom. I'm now going to set it up in bridged mode/mono on the cab and will see how that goes. Price/weight/performance, I think it's a home run.

jtaylor14 said:
I have the Carvin. Love it so far. I haven't had any difficulty in getting any patch to sound good. No majoring eq-ing needed. I have it in front of my Marshall 4x12. I set it up originally in stereo. I had the Carvin outs cranked all the way, couldn't get the Axe output past 11 0'clock without hurting my ears. Plenty of headroom. I'm now going to set it up in bridged mode/mono on the cab and will see how that goes. Price/weight/performance, I think it's a home run.

Have you tried the Art sla-2?

My (discontinued) Behringer EP2500 rocks. 450 watts per channel at 8 ohms (thats real tested RMS watts not advertised watts). Cost me about $250. With the axe-fx and this thing bridged or running into 4 ohms or less (its 1100 watts per channel at 2 ohms!) i have the ultimate bass amp too.

~mx~

paulmapp8306 said:
I went the other way. Ive gone from an Art - although it was the SLA-1, to a VHt 2:50:2

The Art seemed flatter sounding. Not as in a flat EQ, but as in a flat, not 3d sound. I thought the bottom end was slightly muddy compared to the VHT. the mids are thicker, and the highs not so fizzy. Im not talking anoying really high Freq fiz, more the harmonic ringing which is missing on the Art.

This is 100% how I percieved the Art sla-2 with my axe-fx. Its passable but not good enough. And I still scratch my head when people say they are very happy with the sla-2.......and even more when they say they preferred the sound of the sla-2 over VHT and Mesa power amps. The presence just doesnt sit in the right place and it sounds "2d".... Yes the character of each modeled amp is there but the harmonic content and sizzle isnt IMHO....

Cron said:
paulmapp8306 said:
I went the other way. Ive gone from an Art - although it was the SLA-1, to a VHt 2:50:2

The Art seemed flatter sounding. Not as in a flat EQ, but as in a flat, not 3d sound. I thought the bottom end was slightly muddy compared to the VHT. the mids are thicker, and the highs not so fizzy. Im not talking anoying really high Freq fiz, more the harmonic ringing which is missing on the Art.

This is 100% how I percieved the Art sla-2 with my axe-fx. Its passable but not good enough. And I still scratch my head when people say they are very happy with the sla-2.......and even more when they say they preferred the sound of the sla-2 over VHT and Mesa power amps. The presence just doesnt sit in the right place and it sounds "2d".... Yes the character of each modeled amp is there but the harmonic content and sizzle isnt IMHO....

I have the SLA-1 and I know exactly what you mean with "lack of presence".
At home I have a 1x12 w/V30s and I really prefer the PA of my ENGL. Its just more Harmonic, 3d and aggressive sounding. But even though I'm really happy with it in combination with my Marshall 1960 w/T75s. The ENGL sounds a bit too fizzy with it. I may have to tweak a bit more..

What about Behringers (EEK!) B208D? Its a 200 watt, supposedly full range powered monitor? Anyone familiar with this? Would you still be able to use the axe fx to its fullest potential?

snowbrdr88 said:
What about Behringers (EEK!) B208D? Its a 200 watt, supposedly full range powered monitor? Anyone familiar with this? Would you still be able to use the axe fx to its fullest potential?

I think it will be a case of you get what you pay for. It may work for you though personally I would look to something a tad better.

Back
Top Bottom